BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Preview of ROVERS vs. Blackpool; 19 March 2011.

So your saying that Kalinic who is our top goal scorer with 6 Goals in all competions has done little compared to Roque Santa Cruz who hasn't scored a goal yet and hardly even had a decent shot on target...

There is some logic in that, but Cruz can lead a line on his own effectively and bring others into the play regularly. He has shown that in the games he has appeared in. Kalinic gets bullied easily and the ball does just not stick to him (he can lay it off well enough but so so often goes to ground under minimal pressure, and he can't compete in the air). We go forward, Kalinic can't hold it up, and the opposition come right back at us.

That said the one game where Kalinic really shone was WBA away, and Blackpool have a similarly poor defence so maybe the Croat could get some change out of the centrebacks next Saturday.

Looking into the future though it is hard to see how Kalinic will ever prosper against physical centre backs. Doesn't have the pace to outrun them, the physicality to match them or the skill to outfox them. He only ever looks dangerous on the turn in the box and at present we very rarely get the ball in there as we struggle to keep possession.

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blackpool's centre backs are very slow, should be looking to take advantage of that so Kalinic/MB Diouf would be the better options. Jason Roberts will start though, I fear.

I'm more concerned with our defense at the moment, sure we may get 2 or 3 against them but at the same time, I could see us conceeding 3 or 4 also.

I thought members of this Board might be interested in seeing this. It comes from the old schoolmate who gave me some quotes [he's No. 3] which I used in the Preview; and reminded me that, while we're [understandably] fixated on Rovers and how we're going to escape the mess at the bottom, there are quite a lot of other teams in a similar predicament.

We can trade banter all week, but I would suggest that a draw is the most likely outcome, which would not be a disaster to either of us. There are some lively games to be played on March 19th, some of which I list below. Before then, West Ham play at Stoke, and Bolton at Birmingham in the FA Cup 6th Round which we both profoundly hope end in draws, with lots of cards and injuries (and of course replays).

Fixtures on 19th March

West Ham v Salford

Wigan v Birmingham

Stoke v Newcastle

WBA v Arsenal

Aston Villa v Wolves

Everton v Fulham

Pool have had a poor run since the turn of the year, and t'Rovers seem to have joined in. Nobody is talking about Stoke, who are probably worse just now than either of us. Their game on the 19th is critical to them. A win for either of us takes us above them. A draw leaves us only a point behind. When all is said and done, at this time of writing, and after all they have all done recently, the three W's are back in the bottom three.

Long may it continue !

Game falls on the day of my 30th birthday aswell, talk about bad timing.

It will kick off a good days celebrating ;)

Can't believe I'm away for this one. Don't know what's worse. Being there biting my nails hoping Kean doesn't take off a striker and bring on Andrews when chasing the game, or trying to get signal on my mobile to get the latest off the net :(

It will kick off a good days celebrating ;)

Can't believe I'm away for this one. Don't know what's worse. Being there biting my nails hoping Kean doesn't take off a striker and bring on Andrews when chasing the game, or trying to get signal on my mobile to get the latest off the net :(

I hope so but I'm not confident. All I want for my birthday is a WIN !!!! :P

Guest linganzi

We have to win this, blackpools capitulation has displayed that my cat would be able to set up a team to beat them , never mind kean. They have a blundering defence and a ding Ho attitude. A combination of patience , speed, and some old school gamut to samba set pieces. They are a bunch of championship misfits managed by a,mouthy simpleton who has imploded himself. They have form worse than ours.

Maybe we don't rate kean but we have to get behind the rovers

Coyb.

We have to win this, blackpools capitulation has displayed that my cat would be able to set up a team to beat them , never mind kean. They have a blundering defence and a ding Ho attitude. A combination of patience , speed, and some old school gamst to samba set pieces. They are a bunch of championship misfits managed by a,mouthy simpleton who has imploded himself. They have form worse than ours.

Coyb.

Aye, the 'first season syndrome' we see every season.

If they'd spent the last 10 years struggling to stay in the division they'd be bringing a Wigan sized couple of hundred.

Agree.

Reading that thread was a trip. Muh huh huh.

I got my got coat looooooong ago.

There will be more than 5,000 !

A friend of mine has followed them for as long as I've followed Rovers and the vibes he's picking-up are that there will be hundreds more in different parts of the ground.

We understimate Blackpool at our peril and an interesting thought - how many of our supporters would swop Kean for Holloway ! I've met Holloway at a couple of events and he's, IMO, intelligent and shrewd - more to him than meets the eye.

We have to win this, blackpools capitulation has displayed that my cat would be able to set up a team to beat them , never mind kean. They have a blundering defence and a ding Ho attitude. A combination of patience , speed, and some old school gamst to samba set pieces. They are a bunch of championship misfits managed by a,mouthy simpleton who has imploded himself. They have form worse than ours.

Coyb.

I don't suppose your cat is available until the end if the season?

Archived