BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

I'm more of an armchair rugby league fan and soft spot for Wigan from the mid 90s era.

So for the real fans does the world club championship rank compared to grand final and challenge cup? Is it right up there or a distant 3rd in the eyes of a fan.

I watched the first half before fa cup such fine lines for the tmo's. Looking to see if the Wigan lads little finger touched the line before grounded the ball then whether the Australian bloke grounded the ball on the line or not and millimetres in it. Fortunately all went Wigans way.

More of a cricket man myself but I find it necessary these days to have other sporting interests by way of a welcome distraction/replacement for rovers. 

It's right up there Matt. I started off as an armchair fan, went to one Wigan game in 1994 then began going home and sometimes away in 2000. I missed the three previous times we became World Club Champions and after two recent losses in 2011 and 2014 I really wanted the win today. There's no doubting the Aussie game generally is a notch or two up from RL in this country (bigger salary cap, bigger talent pool, higher profile etc) so to get one (or two this weekend) over on them is a kind of yardstick as to where the top four or five teams over here stand.

8 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

It's right up there Matt. I started off as an armchair fan, went to one Wigan game in 1994 then began going home and sometimes away in 2000. I missed the three previous times we became World Club Champions and after two recent losses in 2011 and 2014 I really wanted the win today. There's no doubting the Aussie game generally is a notch or two up from RL in this country (bigger salary cap, bigger talent pool, higher profile etc) so to get one (or two this weekend) over on them is a kind of yardstick as to where the top four or five teams over here stand.

A coach load of workmates went to Wigan V Manley many years ago for the first club championship. It was 8-2 to Wigan, no tries , but what a titanic game. They said there was 38,000 on that night but that was a serious underestimate

Widnes v Canberra Raiders was another tremendous game a few years later.

10 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Not so on this side of the equator, never has been. I can't think of anyone of my mates that knew it was on.

I did, but didn't take in the score til after checking out the Rovers score.

I did check that it was the Sharks first proper run of the season, and didn't recognise a couple of names in the squad.

Perhaps the game should be put on half way through the season, when both squads are up and running.

Ian Lenagan, the Wigan chairman, was rather scathing towards the NRL, in a post match interview, in wanting them to better promote international Rugby League and I suppose you could say willing them to take the World Club Challenge more seriously but mainly to expand the competition and give the game in general more profile.

Wigan have only played two friendlies and one Super League game this season and in the friendlies we played loads of young squad players, especially in the Leigh game. We seem to do this most seasons and only bring the regulars in for the first Super League game.

The guy I sit next to told me he had been on a Cronulla messageboard and the general opinion was that they were going to smash us as was the opinion elsewhere of a couple of ex/current NRL players who thought their pack was going to bully us with their backs cleaning up.

Well it didn't happen and didn't happen either in the Warrington/Brisbane game. There's no doubt that Cronulla pressed more in the second half and were a little unlucky with two video ref decisions (I haven't watched a re run of the game yet, so could only see the big screen which obviously isn't conclusive) but we defended well and at one point I thought we would nil them.

I'm all for playing the competition mid season and also playing down under. We performed fairly well against the Roosters in Sydney in 2014 and prior to that had beaten New Zealand Warriors on their turf.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Baz said:

Castleford thrashing Leeds 42-6 after 50 minutes. Brilliant attacking performance, they could be dark horses in the league based on this.

Finished 66-10

It was  a good attacking performance but how bad were Leeds! Seemed like every set they had to defend had "coach killers" in them. Cas will be up there but it's a long hard season and they have a few in that squad who don't have the mental ability to keep focused.  Leeds, oh dear :lol: 

Just now, Claytons Left Boot said:

Any win at Featherstone is a good win TS. You look to have made a good start.

Yeah we ran Hull KR very close and should really have beat Halifax in the two games we lost. Spurned a couple of very kickable penalties at a crucial time against Halifax to run the ball instead and came up empty.

Hornets v Oldham on Sunday - the big one !

Considering how many of the first team we had out it was a fantastic performance.  In the second half we eased off and just kept it professional.  With Wire they will point to the players in the stand, which of course is true but I really think last season, being so strong for the entire season only to lose two finals has had been psychologically very damaging especially when they had a full team against Wigan's patched-up effort in the GF.  I don't think there off-season signings have been great either.

As for Williams, the lad is another level and sadly think he'll be off to the NRL sooner rather than later.  We'll see S.Tomkins back in halfs next season I think.

Currently out:

S.Tomkins, Burgess, Gildart, Tierney, Manfredi, Mcllorum, Bateman and Sutton.

You mean Escare? so far he's an absolute revelation;  defence is rock solid, he's very quick, great feet and very good goal kicker.  Can't believe he's the same player that we saw at Cats.  As it stands S.Tomkins wont be starting at full back when he's fit.  Navarette, the other French lad we picked up from Cats debuted last night and looks good.  Both have said the training at Cats is way behind what they do at Wigan.

Unearthed a gem as well in Liam Marshall. Four tries in only his second SL appearance after debuting against Leigh last week. Another debutant in the young lad Wells who went over for the last try. The production line rolls on and on.

I agree about Escare and Sam Tomkins who will struggle to regain his place at fullback when he's fit. Williams is now starting to look the real deal and will have admirers down under. 

Prior to the game I thought Wire may just sneak it by a few points, so to win like we did was superb. Early days but things are looking good despite the continued injuries.

Final mention to Sam Powell covering for Micky McIlorum at hooker, what a great lad, consistently good and an unsung hero.

40 minutes ago, koi said:

Currently out:

S.Tomkins, Burgess, Gildart, Tierney, Manfredi, Mcllorum, Bateman and Sutton.

You mean Escare? so far he's an absolute revelation;  defence is rock solid, he's very quick, great feet and very good goal kicker.  Can't believe he's the same player that we saw at Cats.  As it stands S.Tomkins wont be starting at full back when he's fit.  Navarette, the other French lad we picked up from Cats debuted last night and looks good.  Both have said the training at Cats is way behind what they do at Wigan.

Sorry, yes I do mean Escare, where Esteve came from I don't know !  Don't know what's going on in Super League, Saints going nowhere, Leeds going nowhere, Hudds  ditto, Wire struggling at the moment  Salford  and Widnes no great shakes , Bradford gone and getting beat by Hornets. Wigan should run away with it.

• 4 weeks later...
On Thursday, March 02, 2017 at 9:48 PM, Baz said:

Castleford thrashing Leeds 42-6 after 50 minutes. Brilliant attacking performance, they could be dark horses in the league based on this.

Told ya 

Don't want to keep harping on about injuries but I think most Wigan fans are weary with it. Worse than last season already. Players currently injured, had they been able to play last night, would have walked back into the following positions - Full Back, Right Centre, Right Wing, Left Centre, Left Wing, Hooker, Second Row, Loose Forward. 

Good luck to Castleford, despite their crass, vulgar support. They play some attractive, exciting rugby but let's see where they are at the business end of the season when it really matters.

On 7 April 2017 at 10:42 PM, Claytons Left Boot said:

Don't want to keep harping on about injuries but I think most Wigan fans are weary with it. Worse than last season already. Players currently injured, had they been able to play last night, would have walked back into the following positions - Full Back, Right Centre, Right Wing, Left Centre, Left Wing, Hooker, Second Row, Loose Forward. 

Good luck to Castleford, despite their crass, vulgar support. They play some attractive, exciting rugby but let's see where they are at the business end of the season when it really matters.

Yeah there are some real knobs supporting Yorkshire rugby league teams. My lot have hit a bit of a wall. It's a really @#/? weekend when both Rovers and Hornets lose badly. Away at Batley today.