BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Music recommendations

Firstly, I apologise for starting two threads in one day. But I figured this place could be a good source of inspiration.

Myself and a couple of friends trade mix tapes on a fairly frequent basis. This has been going on for many years on and off. I am hoping some of you good folk may offer up some suggestions. Any genre from any year. Mainstream or otherwise. Any recommendations most welcome.

I thought i could post the track listings for each compilation i make and receive as a thank you for all contributions. Let me know what you think.

I might have the wrong end of the stick, but it sounds like he's not actually 'mixing' anything, just compiling a selection of songs onto CD. A bit like the Now That's What I Call Music CD's, but hopefully markedly better.

If I'm right, then whack on a bit of The Smiths me lad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxLFav1Z9EY&feature=related

Quite right Stevo.

Just thought it would be good to get a few recommended tracks from members on here. Then pass them off as my own finds!!!! :D It would help me, but also maybe open up a few avenues to other people while they read peoples suggestions.

Thanks for The Smiths choice. Possibly the best named band ever IMO. Just sums up everything about them. Genius.

Dave Birch and Brfcrule1 - As i said, i'm open to any genres from any year. My friends and i usually produce some pretty ecclectic stuff. So any Jazz etc.. numbers you can suggest would be most appreciated.

I guess from the low responses on here, this might not really take off. But i've seen enough avatars on here to suggest there's a fair few music lovers about. Just hoped we could share the tunes which make us tick. Maybe the mix tape inclusion just over complicated things.

I'm mainly an indie kid..well,not so much a kid any more!

Like you I also have pretty eclectic tastes.

Here's some suggestions for you.

White Lies..new album out recently

Chapel Club...great new indie band.

Villagers...fantastic album,sort of folk-rock(ish).

Ladytron..electro outfit..some real good stuff.

Laura Marlin..first album 'Alas,I Cannot Swim'.

Marina and the Diamonds..very addictive with an 80's vibe.

Ash..recent album A-Z Vol 1...some corking tunes on there.

CSS..favourite track 'Let's make love and listen to Death from above'.

Julian Casablancas(The Strokes singer) had a good solo album out fairly recently.

Bombay Bicycle Club..first album

SOME OTHER TRACKS I LIKE;

Elliott Smith...'Between the Bars'

Hot Chip...'Ready for the floor'

Interpol..'Slow Hands'

The Sound..'Sense of Purpose' 9obscure 80's indie..should have been huge!

Jenny Lewis with the Watson twins...'You are what you love', (sort of country-ish)

Metric...'Live it out'

Boy Kill Boy...'Civil Sin'

British Sea Power..'Waving Flags''

Hope you find something in that lot which you'd be happy to use.If not,blame my Ipod!! ;)

<br />Brilliant. Anything and everything. Gimme Gimme Gimme!<br />

Ever tried some Roy Harper? You can probably download from his website. Two which spring to mind are "One of those days in England" and "When an old cricketer leaves the crease" both, I think, on the Bullinamingvase (that is the spelling) album.

Actually I could suggest probably 10,000 tracks better than that. But there is something elitist in me that feels the need to suggest as an obscure as possible track to make me look like I have a Peel-like knowledge of music to somehow make me a superior message board poster.

Actually I could suggest probably 10,000 tracks better than that. But there is something elitist in me that feels the need to suggest as an obscure as possible track to make me look like I have a Peel-like knowledge of music to somehow make me a superior message board poster.

Ozzie,

The exact same reason i asked for a bit of everything. I can pass it off to the lads and claim the Peelesque status! I'll give the track a listen tonight. Many thanks for the suggestion. Feel free to share some of the 10,000 others too. I have done a very shoddy conversion job in my garage to create a bar (work top, cut into an 'L' shape, fridge, dart board, some beat up old sofas, a heater and some optics attached to an old shelf). I've got a few lads coming over this friday and i hope to wow them with some new found gems. So, as i say, the more recommendations the better.

Many thanks

Ever tried some Roy Harper? You can probably download from his website. Two which spring to mind are "One of those days in England" and "When an old cricketer leaves the crease" both, I think, on the Bullinamingvase (that is the spelling) album.

Paul,

Many thanks for the suggestions. That "When an old cricketer leaves the crease" song is beautiful. Very familiar.

I'm mainly an indie kid..well,not so much a kid any more!.........Hope you find something in that lot which you'd be happy to use.If not,blame my Ipod!! ;)

Yeti Dog,

Again, many thanks. I'll work my way through the list. Appreciate the effort. I'm an indie kid of old. Sadly i can't get away with showing it anymore. As the years go by i'm less Paul Weller and more Rick Waller!

Patrick, I'd suggest for some jazz, try

Sonny Stitt "Live at the Left Bank" some of it gets a bit wild. The sound of an electric Sax is pretty good.

Lionel Hampton when he plays vibes, can get driving.

Thelonious Monk, can be a bit OTT but good.

Early Oscar Peterson, great pianist.

Some tracks off the 10disc st of "Jazz At The Philharmonic on Verve 1944-1949" particularly on disc three 'Opera in Vout' (Groove Juice Symphony)

JATP features some early recordings of the electric guitar played by Les Paul (the inventor) who died recently

Benny Goodman "Sing, Sing, Sing"

Some old school Hip-Hop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERQzl4xDpXk

The Decemberists

A bit more up tempo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKQp2EjlCN4

Fantastic cover of a Joni Mitchell track. (you might know 'em, either way, a tune and a half.)

Murderer is a fantastic track also.

Hills and Valleys - Buju Banton

Some blues/Jazz

And anything by Sam Cooke also. I Think he's got a great voice.

Archived