BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Android

So after the heart break of missing out on an Android phone, I got me the HTC HD2, which runs windows 6.5 professional. An old phone, but still a beast of a phone.

A few searches on google, and it brought me a host of websites and videos, of how to install Android 2.2 Froyo on it. Has anybody done something like this, as the videos and comments seemed very positive. The Rom also looked very stable, with no glitches which is great.

Overall, with a 4.3 inch screen, a 1GHz processor, and running Android, I think I'll be happy with that.

Biddy, or anybody, please advise.

Thanks

Isgak

I think a lot can be done with the HD2 as its got pretty similar hardware to the desire. You'll find all the advice you will ever need over at xda-developers.com which is a great site.

I believe there are now methods for making the HD2 boot straight into android but I don't know much about that. I have the older and less powerful Touch HD which is an old windows 6.1 device. On that I have used xandroid which installs as an app within windows. When you run it, it basically flushes windows from RAM and runs a linux boot loader to go into Android. Works perfectly even on my older device.

The only thing that is an annoyance is that some SDCards are incompatible for some reason so it can hang during boot. Oh that and the power button is remappped to "home" on the touch hd and therefore you can only reboot into windows by taking the battery out!

would it be safer to run it via the SD card? i dont want to go via the nand option, because i dont want to brick the phone.

Biddy is it just the Rom that you add to root of the sd card, and then installing from the file manager within windows?

i saw a few videos, where they loaded by clicking on clrcad and then haret.exe before it booted into android. it looked very simple, but im not sure what is the best rom to use. Biddy, if you could drop me a step by step guide, and also the best rom to use, then i would appreciate it

thanks

Sorry, as I say, I don't have the HD2 so I'm not that up on what they have done with it. I would however say, yes it probably is safer to install the SDCard version and just run as an app as I do on the Blackstone (Touch HD).

This is the version I have used Froyo on Blackstone which really is as simple as, install a cab and select the Android Icon from the programs menu.

Is it stable Biddy? So not knowing anything about custom Roms etc, is this just downloading the file, copy it to the root menu of the SD card, and running it? That simple? I know the guys were talking about flashing radio and roms and HSPL etc *confused*

Is it stable Biddy? So not knowing anything about custom Roms etc, is this just downloading the file, copy it to the root menu of the SD card, and running it? That simple? I know the guys were talking about flashing radio and roms and HSPL etc *confused*

Hey guys,

I have a HD2 (18 months now), I used WM6.5 most of this time with various different roms. I then tried Android (from SD card), I didnt like this because of slow speed. Very easy to do if I can remember correctly.

I am a microsoft man through and through so I have put Windows Phone 7 now (running from NAND)and I got to say it is awesome. Its like a new phone!

Whats so good about Android?

I'm sure I have read about dual-booting HD2's.

Hey SuperCat, I don't want to run via NAND for fear of bricking the phone(don't know much about flashing roms etc). I too was thinking of booting to WP7, but via the SD card. Is there a cab file, that will allow me to just run via file manager as an application.

Not a phrase you hear very often!

There are a few of us.....worldwide.......about 57 at the last count.

Anyway I found a link that might be useful starting point for info about android on SD card

My link

It might all sound daunting but I am sure it wasnt too bad.

When I have time I shall read through it a bit more and see if it jogs my memory.

Archived