BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Starting XI

There has been a lot of criticism levelled at Kean about his selection and tactics - particularly his rotations of the team - but little in consistency in the support about who we want to see on the pitch. As we are now approaching the position of having everyone fit (well apart from Grella but he hardly counts....), out of interest what is everyone's best XI?

The big thing for me is that we actually look like having a decent midfield partnership in the two Jones - both are quick, strong, fantastic in the tackle and in the air, not great technical players but can get by, can both play deep and burst forward. After having no Savage for the last three years it seems like we now have two.

Crucially two such energetic players opens up the possibility for us to regularly put out two strikers as Rovers will be able to cover the yards and close down without the extra man in the middle. This could really benefit Kalinic who looks like he needs a partner to perform up front. It will also allow Cruz to drop deep without leaving us toothless as happened against Blackpool.

On top of that we have an outstanding winger in Hoilett and a decent if rather one dimensional one in Olsson. Defence should be good but has been leaking goals - I think that is mainly an issue with midfield discipline and Olsson's penchant for playing more as a winger when in at full back.

For me the best side is:-

----------------Cruz--------Kalinic

Olsson-----P Jones----J Jones-----Hoilett

Givet--------Nelsen------Samba----Salgado

----------------------Robinson

Subs - Bunn, Nzonzi, Dunn, Pedersen, Emerton, Roberts, Rochina/Formica.

That is a team imo that will easily stay up provided one of Cruz or Kalinic can score a few and Hoilett and the Jones brothers stay fit. The key is to settle the side as much as possible.

Others have different opinions?

Robbo

Givet

P Jones

Samba

Salgado

Olsson

Jones

Dunn

Hoilett

Kalinic

Cruz

I appreciate it's tough to drop either Nelly or Samba, but at the end of the day Phil Jones needs to play in his best position for me. I want to see him at the back, it also enables us to have Dunn in the middle for a bit of creativity.

I'd also consider playing Emerton instead of Salgado. Yes, you have to love Salgados passion but he's seriously lacking in pace, which is understandable at this stage of his career.

All my opinion, obviously.

There has been a lot of criticism levelled at Kean about his selection and tactics - particularly his rotations of the team - but little in consistency in the support about who we want to see on the pitch. As we are now approaching the position of having everyone fit (well apart from Grella but he hardly counts....), out of interest what is everyone's best XI?

The big thing for me is that we actually look like having a decent midfield partnership in the two Jones - both are quick, strong, fantastic in the tackle and in the air, not great technical players but can get by, can both play deep and burst forward. After having no Savage for the last three years it seems like we now have two.

Crucially two such energetic players opens up the possibility for us to regularly put out two strikers as Rovers will be able to cover the yards and close down without the extra man in the middle. This could really benefit Kalinic who looks like he needs a partner to perform up front. It will also allow Cruz to drop deep without leaving us toothless as happened against Blackpool.

On top of that we have an outstanding winger in Hoilett and a decent if rather one dimensional one in Olsson. Defence should be good but has been leaking goals - I think that is mainly an issue with midfield discipline and Olsson's penchant for playing more as a winger when in at full back.

That is a team imo that will easily stay up provided one of Cruz or Kalinic can score a few and Hoilett and the Jones brothers stay fit. The key is to settle the side as much as possible.

No I don't! P Jones will be a great centre-half for us (hopefully) but for now we need him in midfield. The only change I'd consider is a 5-man midfield with Pedersen in it. Depends on the opposition I suppose.

for me its

-------------Robbo

--------Jones Nelsen Samba

Emerton-------------------Olson

------------N.zonzi

--J.Jones-----------Pedersen

-------Hoilet

---------------RSC

bench

Bunn

Givet

Salgado

Dunn

Formica

Roberts

Kalanic

• Moderation Lead

Pretty much agree with the OP on this one. Gives us the option to change it up by bringing on Dunn for the last 30 mins or so, it's probably fair to say he won't last the full 90 :lol:

Posted 7 minutes ago

funny-old-game

Posted Yesterday, 07:05 PM

Even in the 70' and 80's when we had no money and we went to places like Halifax, Rotherham, Grimsby, Hereford on the League liner, you knew your club was run by passionate football people such as Bill Fox and Bill Bancroft who only had the clubs best interests at heart, but now we are not owned by passionate people, but run by a group of people that haven't got a clue about owning a football club and what that entails, and agent getting their grubby paws on what ever money they can!

roversmum, on 21 March 2011 - 08:27 AM, said:

Then it's up to us to make it our club again. It's still Blackburn Rovers after all. I do understand what you mean, Kelbo, but it's time for a change of mind-set. We cannot change what has happened but it's a bit lily-livered of us to give up on the club we love.

And I, for one, have no intention of it.

I agree, so what can we do about it, we need to get people involved and really let this lot know we are not going to just lie down and accept are fate, any suggestions.

As the saying goes

"For evil to prosper all it needs is for good people to do nothing"

Pretty much the side I would go with Joey. Emerton might be an option at right back though, he would have the energy to get up to support Hoilett on the overlap or push up when needed to fill the space when Hoilett goes forward. Kalinic has to be in the side for me, more likely to score than any of our other forwards. Phil would be a good option in midfield until hopefully in the summer we can get a midfielder in and he can go back into defence.

Doesn't look too far away for me Joey.

Couple of things I'd say though. Even though I don't rate Roberts as a starter, I'd be tempted to start ( :wacko: ) him for certain games that need a physical approach. Take your pic from RSC or Niko who'd make way, and every chance they'd replace Roberts after an hour or so.

Also, Givet is one of those players who's become a world beater in his absence (it happens when the replacement doesn't pull up any trees). Given the importance of dead ball deliveries, and they will be for the rest of the season, I'd be tempted to have MGP as a starter. The only way I can see that working is to have Olsson at LB (I know I know) with MGP having a covering role - let's face it that's something he does currently. OK it doesn't get the best out of Olsson but as the first hour or so on Sat showed, dead ball deliveries are dire and I'd say the combination of Olsson + MGP on the left offers more than Olsson + Givet.

Nope, I'd agree entirely with that - our best 11, playing in their best positions (ok so you could argue Phil Jones is a central def but he's also been our best midfielder this season by a mile).

I would have Emerton in place of Salgado in my starting 11. Sally on the bench.

I agree with the OP

Robbo

Salgado Nelsen Samba Givet

Hoilett Jones Jones Olsson

Santa Cruz Kalinic

That should a decent side against our fellow strugglers, I'd be tempted to give Salgado the elbow and put Emerton in there, I think it's his best position ( apart from him getting done in the air with long cross balls.)

After much thought and good reasoning, this is the best team in my opinion..

Robinson

Salgado Samba Nelsen Givet

Hoilett J.Jones P.Jones Olsson

RSC Kalinic

This team should not be struggling..

Guest linganzi

I pretty much agree with throne tco helka etc most of you with the exception of roque.

Dare I say I'd go for benjani.

In an ideal world....

...........................Robinson (this season)

Emerton (Couple years back)..Samba (vs City 1-1)..Nelson (World Cup)..Givet(Last season)

.................P. Jones (Anytime)...Dunn(Last season)/J. Jones (current form)

Hoilett(Current form)...................................Olsson (Current form)

.....................RSC (2 years ago)...Kalinic (Vs Villa)

I think that team baring in mind the form in brackets would be our best option. Would be nice to include "Salgado (Real Madrid days)" but i guess that would be asking too much.

I also think JJ should be given priority to DD against bigger teams.

I think you have got XII players on the pitch there Mafioso!

Regarding Emerton and Olsson at full back - I just am not convinced by either of them. They are both very vulnerable to high balls and uncomfortable with players running at them. They like to get forward a lot which is great, but due to our very shakey defence I don't think it is wise to expose ourselves constantly down the wings.

Salgado I think has jumped the shark, and Givet is not ideal as he is so static, but still those two are much better than Emo and Olsson at defending and that is the priority at the moment. We are shipping too many goals.

Robinson

Salgado Samba Nelsen Givet

Hoilett J.Jones P.Jones Olsson

RSC Kalinic

I would agree that this team is the best 11 in their positions when everyone is fit/available.

Get it right at the back first with these four being our best defenders in those positions, despite tendency for opposition targeting an ageing Salgado, having Emerton available on the bench might alleviate this. With Jones & Jones sitting and protecting the defence, allowing four attacking options whereby the midfielders have pace (Hoilett & Olsson), this is a popular formation with international teams adopting similar set ups.

This would be my formation when playing at home, in our current position I do not think we have the luxury of playing in this manner away and hence would replace Kalinic with another midfield player. I've still not seen Formica and Rochina who might well be attacking options instead of Kalinic.

My only other concern would be who would take our set pieces. Very important to us as such an integral part of our game, I don't know the stats but I would suggest that the majority of our goals still come from set pieces.

Oh yes, and fingers crossed that we don't get any more Clattenburg & Webb decisions now until of course Man Ure at home, that is always a given that in this fixture we will be on the wrong end of ref decisions!!

I think you have got XII players on the pitch there Mafioso!

Regarding Emerton and Olsson at full back -

I have Dunn/J.Jones, then i went on to say J.Jones to start against better oposition.

I would prefer Givet to Olsson at LB as i said, but judging on Salgado's current form and the fact that most teams seem to have pacey left wingers i would prefer Emerton there.

Robbo

Emerton Nelsen Samba Givet

Hoillet PJones Nzonzi Olsson

RSC Kalinic

Salgado for all his heart is as slow as truck and far to much passes him by. Our back 4 need protecting hence Jones and Fonzi, two pacey wingers and two strikers who looked decent against WBA, but have been kept apart like the plague since.

I like the team in the OP, but I agree with Neil Weaver that having Pedersen in there would help with the set pieces. Without him, who do we have? Dunn and Emerton have taken set pieces in the past, but they're not in that eleven either. None of the others stand out as a set piece taker, although I could be wrong on that as I haven't been able to see as much of Rovers this seasons as I'd have liked to.

In a relegation scrap like this, set pieces matter; especially if we have Nelsen, Samba, Givet, P. Jones and Santa Cruz on the pitch at the same time. That's a lot of potential targets on a corner. Olsson hasn't quite been at his best this season, so whether to play him or Pedersen on the left (I'd stick with Givet at the back) is something worth discussing.

Archived