BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Starting XI

Really good point about the set pieces. I think Olsson could maybe make a decent dead ball player, but none of them in the XI seem to have the potential to deliver real quality from a corner or free kick.

A big quandry. As someone pointed out our set piece delivery was pretty awful against Blackpool. If I had to drop anyone for Pedersen it would probably be Kalinic.

• 2 weeks later...

Set pieces. The lack of quality balls from Bert at set pieces and with no other likely contenders from the present team, room must be made for MGP in my opinion.

With Givet now available after his suspension, push Olsson up to left midfield, Junior on the right and three in the centre of J Jones, P Jones and MGP. Therefore start with RSC up front on his own, but with Junior & Olsson getting forward in support.

I am unsure as to whether Bert at right back is a better option than Salgado, plus if Dunny ever finds his legs again whether he might be a better bet than MGP for set pieces, plus what you might get from his overall play to make something happen.

Set pieces. The lack of quality balls from Bert at set pieces and with no other likely contenders from the present team, room must be made for MGP in my opinion.

With Givet now available after his suspension, push Olsson up to left midfield, Junior on the right and three in the centre of J Jones, P Jones and MGP. Therefore start with RSC up front on his own, but with Junior & Olsson getting forward in support.

Think it was the Rovers v Brum thread I've just been reading where lots of folk have put their lineups, but I go along with what you say Boz. They've become such an important part of our gameplan we've got to have someone who can take em (didn't see much of Saturday, but I heard Bert was pretty poor). Not sure who would make way though.

And Topman, good in theory, but truth is that for whatever reason some folk just aren't good at them (eg some would say MGP). Take Brum for example : just about everything in the opponent's half is taken by Larsson.

Rover's best side has a midfield trio of Jones, Jones and N'Zonzi like on Saturday.Its taken Kean an awfully long time to work out what many fans knew all along. We do not have the strength or talent in mid-field to play 2 up-front regularly.

How many games have been thrown away in this "pointless" pursuit?

Rover's best side has a midfield trio of Jones, Jones and N'Zonzi like on Saturday.Its taken Kean an awfully long time to work out what many fans knew all along. We do not have the strength or talent in mid-field to play 2 up-front regularly.

Disagree. In Jones and Jones I think we have two players who have the work rate to make 442 really function well.

Disagree. In Jones and Jones I think we have two players who have the work rate to make 442 really function well.

I agree.

With that central midfield it would be a fantastic rock to build on. With Martin on left and Jnr on the right, things would look good.

That would be the same J Jones most on here were saying was a useless acquisition until last Saturday?

He could still be the best mid-fielder we've got though! :unsure:

Seriously, he has come good in the last 3 games. Disappointingly inconsistent for a while there.

He could still be the best mid-fielder we've got though! :unsure:

Seriously, he has come good in the last 3 games. Disappointingly inconsistent for a while there.

He's the best midfielder we've had since I can't remember when, I was just amazed how most had written him off given it took Salgado 4 months to find his feet in this league.

For me the best side is:-

----------------Cruz--------Kalinic

Olsson-----P Jones----J Jones-----Hoilett

Givet--------Nelsen------Samba----Salgado

----------------------Robinson

Subs - Bunn, Nzonzi, Dunn, Pedersen, Emerton, Roberts, Rochina/Formica.

That is a team imo that will easily stay up provided one of Cruz or Kalinic can score a few and Hoilett and the Jones brothers stay fit. The key is to settle the side as much as possible.

Others have different opinions?

Agreed for those matches we are setting up to attack and win. Birmingham this weekend, for instance.

If we move to a more defensive/counter-attacking 4-5-1 the midfield three need to be N'Zonzi - P. Jones- J. Jones.

That would be the same J Jones most on here were saying was a useless acquisition until last Saturday?

I disagree that "most" had written him off. Many have been supportive of him early on.

Archived