BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Car!

Can I just echo drogs comments about the dodgy water pump. I had an mgf with the notorious k series engine. Had a full engine rebuild with an uprated head gasket so I knew the water I was losing wasn't down to a knackered head gasket. My local garage pressure tested it and it was fine. Spoke to a guy from work who said to check the water pump and lo and behold that was the problem.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So my amazing new car has bluetooth but can I pair my iphone to it!!! Nope - it found it the first time I got in it but at that point I didn't know the passcode and since then it hasn't been able to find it at all nor does my phone have any record of it!! Bluetooth is definately turned on, on my phone but not entirely sure how I know it is on in my car! I have read the instruction booklet that came with it but I am still perplexed by it!!!!

The Mazda 2 is a great little car, good choice. I personally like my Hondas but anything Japanese and petrol is usually pretty bomb proof.

By the way VAG stands for Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaft (Volkswagen Company Incorporated), Aktiengesellschaft is abbreviated to AG. Sorry to be a pedant!

Anyone know a local garage (Blackburn / Darwen) who would be interested in a 12 yr old Corsa 1.4 Sport, out of MOT but still reasonable value in it ... certainly not just scrap or parts.

It does need a bit doing, not least new handbrake cable for starters which is the reason I can't move the thing, so it needs picking up off the drive as well!! :rolleyes:

"We buy any car dot com" reckon they'd give me 50 quid for it, but I think I should be looking at 100 - 150 for a car where the book value is 800-900 once it's fixed.

Any ideas gratefully received!

Anyone know a local garage (Blackburn / Darwen) who would be interested in a 12 yr old Corsa 1.4 Sport, out of MOT but still reasonable value in it ... certainly not just scrap or parts.

It does need a bit doing, not least new handbrake cable for starters which is the reason I can't move the thing, so it needs picking up off the drive as well!! :rolleyes:

"We buy any car dot com" reckon they'd give me 50 quid for it, but I think I should be looking at 100 - 150 for a car where the book value is 800-900 once it's fixed.

Ideas Tris? How about getting it fixed? :closedeyes:

So my amazing new car has bluetooth but can I pair my iphone to it!!! Nope - it found it the first time I got in it but at that point I didn't know the passcode and since then it hasn't been able to find it at all nor does my phone have any record of it!! Bluetooth is definately turned on, on my phone but not entirely sure how I know it is on in my car! I have read the instruction booklet that came with it but I am still perplexed by it!!!!

According to mechanics and phone people alike Bluetooth can be very frustrating. The bluetooth on my car only works if I use the steering wheel controls to answer an incoming call and not if I answer with the phone control.

<br />So my amazing new car has bluetooth but can I pair my iphone to it!!! Nope - it found it the first time I got in it but at that point I didn't know the passcode and since then it hasn't been able to find it at all nor does my phone have any record of it!! Bluetooth is definately turned on, on my phone but not entirely sure how I know it is on in my car! I have read the instruction booklet that came with it but I am still perplexed by it!!!!<br />

Make sure your phone is "discoverable" - some have a default which means other Bluetooth items can't see them. If it is an iPhone you may need to clear any existing pairing attempt from the car Bluetooth. In my last car I had three phones paired with the system before trying to add the iPhone. Wasn't till I deleted the others that I was able to pair the iPhone. It may "think" your first attempt is still there

Took the car to the garage on Friday. Mentioned to them that whenever I open my water cap, a heap of pressure is released. He then tested to see if this was combustion or echaust gases. He got a cylinder and placed this on my water cap, and inside the cylinder was a blue dye. If it was exhaust gases, then this dye would have turned yellow. However, it didn't. He still does not want to open the whole car up and for it not to be the head gasket.

Still driving it around though. Hopefully, it will last me another 3-4 months!

Took the car to the garage on Friday. Mentioned to them that whenever I open my water cap, a heap of pressure is released. He then tested to see if this was combustion or echaust gases. He got a cylinder and placed this on my water cap, and inside the cylinder was a blue dye. If it was exhaust gases, then this dye would have turned yellow. However, it didn't. He still does not want to open the whole car up and for it not to be the head gasket.

Still driving it around though. Hopefully, it will last me another 3-4 months!

:blink: Both are the same BnWR.

:blink: Both are the same BnWR.

Are they? Well, I was a bit confused when he was going on with the technical terminology. As you probably know, I don't know much about cars. Anyway, car is driving fine at the minute and still gradually losing water, but not mass amounts. Don't really know what to do with it.

I`ve recently been looking at changing motor & looked up my car in the price guides. With it`s age, milage & condition i could get £3500-£4000 for it. Just outr of interest i put the same details in on Webuyanycar.com.......they offered me £1500 :lol:

Scrap metal prices are high at the moment. Even a scrap car dealer would give you £60-£80 for your car & they`d even collect it for that. I`d try putting it in local paper for a couple of hundred quid. Lots of kids out there after cheap hot-hatches to do up ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have just bought a second hand BMW 318, pick it up next week, can't believe some of the insurance quotes I have had on it, especially from the bigger insurance companies.

I did find some good quotes on comparison websites, certainly cheaper than those insurers who boast that they are not on comparison websites.

I wouldnt mind if I was boy racer who has only been driving a year, but I'm in my late 30's with full no claims, I knew the cost of the policy would go up but the increase by some of the insurers is just robbery.

My granddaughter is almost 18 and has just passed her driving test. Anyone know of an insurance company that isn't going to cost something like the £4,000 she has been quoted to insure a car worth £800?

My granddaughter is almost 18 and has just passed her driving test. Anyone know of an insurance company that isn't going to cost something like the £4,000 she has been quoted to insure a car worth £800?

When james was 17 and passed Aviva were one of the few companies who would insure him at all, let alone cost a reasonable amount.

• Backroom

My brother is just learning and his insurance is now 4 times less than originally quoted as he's having a tracker thing fitted which means he cant go out in the car after 11pm. Very good idea I think.

Archived