BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm suprised there's no mention of Le Tour on here. Eccleston own Bradley Wiggins is storming ahead at the moment too.

I love to watch the mountain stages especially those through the Alps as they generally decide the race winner and also feature some beautiful scenery too.

Would be if I could but currently on holiday and, to my surprise, no TV coverage to be found locally.

You're right Bradley is having a fantastic Tour and really ripped it up yesterday.

Aside from the actual cycling the TV coverage can be quite stunning and I think gives the best feel there is for any sporting event. Looking forward to seeing the last week and then the Olympic events.

Not been reading the MB because on holiday, but just seen the above posts so here are some shots from the roadside here in France / Switzerland of Brad heading into yellow ...

Stage 6 / Stage 7

7543527680_fe81f31eb8.jpg

7541688966_10c8f3f6ff.jpg

Stage 8 ... and Stage 9 (the time trial yesterday - he was going so quick I missed most of him)

7541776292_d13fdbc61a.jpg

7541739864_4fb91c9216.jpg

The last one is clearly on a motorbike, that's cheating plain and simple.

Great shots Tris.

Next two days are the key Alpine stages (or so it says on the news), with Thursday being the toughest (only 13km of flat racing).

If Wiggins can increase his 1m53s lead over these two days, theres really only a couple of days in the Pyrenees left of the key stages, so barring major losses in breakaways he'd be in pole position for the 1st British win.

Great images Tris - thanks.

I really, really enjoyed watching Voeckler win his stage, he always finds something to keep dragging himself up those mountains and his apparent enthusiasm and joy in what he does is great sport.

Yesterday was an excellent day for Wiggins and Froome, almost perfect I would say. Froome gained the time he needed, both took time from Evans who effectively blew up and, in a sense, Wiggins got something of a "rest" in the closing kilometres of a tough day's climbing.

Don't want to start counting chickens but I'm beginning to wonder about the Wiggins / Froome situation. Sky clearly set their year out to get Wiggins into a winning TDF position. I think people recognised Froome's ability but perhaps didn't count on him being second at this stage.

If Bradley is to win the TDF he needs Froome with him all the way, he probably won't make it without him. I'm just wondering about the last couple of days, will Sky instruct Froome to get the win for Wiggins at all costs? What happens if these two end up in an unassailable position with 10-12k to go?

Much as I want Wiggins to win I hope Sky let them battle for 1st and 2nd if both positions are safe. Froome shouldn't be denied his chance.

I do feel sorry for Cavendish who after a great ride in 2011 is hardly getting a mention.

Edited by Paul

The Manx Missile has gotten a lot of coverage over the past few years, books... Who the Olympic Cyclists will be....and I guess the Tour will end the 20th...we will see. http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/gbcyclingteam/article/gbr20120613-British-Olympic-Association-announce-Team-GB-cycling-squad-for-London-2012-Olympic-Games-0

Edited by Audax

Great images Tris - thanks.

I really, really enjoyed watching Voeckler win his stage, he always finds something to keep dragging himself up those mountains and his apparent enthusiasm and joy in what he does is great sport.

Yesterday was an excellent day for Wiggins and Froome, almost perfect I would say. Froome gained the time he needed, both took time from Evans who effectively blew up and, in a sense, Wiggins got something of a "rest" in the closing kilometres of a tough day's climbing.

Don't want to start counting chickens but I'm beginning to wonder about the Wiggins / Froome situation. Sky clearly set their year out to get Wiggins into a winning TDF position. I think people recognised Froome's ability but perhaps didn't count on him being second at this stage.

If Bradley is to win the TDF he needs Froome with him all the way, he probably won't make it without him. I'm just wondering about the last couple of days, will Sky instruct Froome to get the win for Wiggins at all costs? What happens if these two end up in an unassailable position with 10-12k to go?

Much as I want Wiggins to win I hope Sky let them battle for 1st and 2nd if both positions are safe. Froome shouldn't be denied his chance.

I do feel sorry for Cavendish who after a great ride in 2011 is hardly getting a mention.

I don't think there is any chance that Froome will try and take away Wiggins' win. From the outset the Sky team have been set up with the sole aim of getting Brad to Paris at least on the podium. Chris Froome is there as Plan B in case Brad didn't make it as happened last year.

Cav's role this year as been solely as a domestique (witness the pictures of him loaded up with drinks a few days ago). He was able to get a stage win early on but essentially did that himself with no team help. His focus is completely on the Olympic road race - the Tour has been his preparation. Assuming the leaderboard is still much the same next Sunday I expect Sky to run a race on the Champs D'Elysee to replicate the road race 6 days later, aiming to give Cav the stage win.

I think the interesting thing will be what happens next season. Chris now knows he is capable of winning a Grand Tour - will he stay with Sky as number 2 to Brad or be enticed away by another team? That would be tremendous from a fan's perspective, if he moves to a strong team who can support him like Sky have supported Brad. I suspect that Sky might be promising Chris the leader's role at the Vuelta. If Brad wins the Tour I can see him sitting out the Vuelta and maybe riding the Tour of Britain, allowing Chris a free run on the Vuelta.

Evans got two flat tyres, Wiggins one I think and they showed on camera, their switching the wheels around and of course, others suffered flats too. Really makes me wonder what happened? Of course, I've read in the past where tacks were tossed on the road....I'm sure we will find out, this is very strange....

Update: 28 tacks found on the road, announcer, Phil Sherwin I believe said there are "cycling hooligans" now, whatever, what a stupid thing to do. :angry2: Now, they say they were "little nails".

No matter, on one climb today, they said it was an 18% grade.... interesting to watch them navigate that... climbs are a problem, once in a while I go on a climb and that thing is a total workout.

Edited by Audax

Well last day in the pyranees tomorrow and Wiggins still 2mins clear from his own teammate. Just watched the highlights and it looked ever so easy for him and Froome. Finish on Sunday, and barring Wiggins failing big time tomorrow, or an amazing breakaway from anyone in the top 5, he's very very close to the win. What a boost for the nation going into the Olympics it would be too.

Well last day in the pyranees tomorrow and Wiggins still 2mins clear from his own teammate. Just watched the highlights and it looked ever so easy for him and Froome. Finish on Sunday, and barring Wiggins failing big time tomorrow, or an amazing breakaway from anyone in the top 5, he's very very close to the win. What a boost for the nation going into the Olympics it would be too.

Looks like Wiggins is a cinch to win it, doesn't it?

Well finally got a day off during the Tour. I won't be on the sofa all day, too much to do, but looking forward to catching some of the TDF live today.

Only seen one other day live so far.

A really good day for British cycling and a real surprise to see Sky work hard for Cav. Demonstrates the team spirit they have as an easy day in the peloton would have been enough.

Sunday - Cav to take the stage and Wiggins and Froome to get one and two on the podium? You'd have got locked up for even hoping for that a month ago!!

Great days for British cycling and the Olympics to come.

Sunday - Cav to take the stage and Wiggins and Froome to get one and two on the podium?

Magic. Fabulous riding today and good to see Wiggins lead Cav out for an excellent spring finish.

Olympic gold on Saturday?

Brilliant win by Wiggins and Cavendish proved once again he's the best sprinter by a mile at the moment, and this time from a long way out too.

Just hope they have something in reserve for the Olympics now.

So what do we think? Team GB to work for Cav? Or possibly Froome or Wiggins just to go for gold?

I think Team GB will look to control the peloton with Wiggins giving Cavendish the final lead out. I feel Cav will go early as in the TDF. I also think GB will attempt to wipe out the other sprinters on Box Hill by setting a fast pace which we know Cavendish can cope with.

Can't discount Goss, Boonen and Sagen as very serious competition though.

It's fascinating and very tough to call as no one knows the deal that was done re the TDF. TBH if I was Wiggins I'd want gold as well but it would probably wreck his relationship with Cavendish.

Edited by Paul

Has Wiggins not publicly said its a team gold and the aim is for Cavendish to win? That's has to be the best chance for GB. If it was an individual time trial, then I'd back Wiggins.

I'd wager though that at least one of the other teams will attempt a long range breakaway to try to take the sprint finish out.