BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Athletic de Bilbao: Blackburn Rovers' heritage

Siriwan

Fine read Siriwan, er, I keep up with La Liga in a general way, somehow I made Athletic and Atletico Madrid my favourites some time ago. Athletic Club de Bilbao had a tough time earlier this year, I know that but anyway, for everyone, if I am correct, Bilbao along with the big clubs Real Madrid and Barcelona are the only Clubs to never be relegated. I know Bilbao has won a few titles, I believe the last time in the early '80s.

I've seen the Kit Shops carry Basque International Shirts, you know like there are the 3 Lions England shirts and España shirts. It was nice, they were sold out of them too.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just watching Mastermind and some bloke was on there answering questions related to Russia a hundred years or so ago. One of the questions was about the Charnock Brothers, the two Blackburn lads who introduced football to Russia and formed its oldest team, Dynamo Moscow. It reminded me of this thread.

Dynamo have worn blue and white through the years, but only sporadically have they been halved shirts.

By the way, it's not been mentioned but Atletico Madrid also used to wear blue and white halves when they were formed. They were formed by some Basque students and copied Atletico. From Wikipedia -

Grasshoppers of Zurich STILL wear blue and white halves which is, of course, also down to Blackburn Rovers.

Blackburn Rovers...inspiring the world for three different centuries!!!

FourLaneBlue, this is real good info as well. Imagine that about Atletico Madrid.

There is suppose to be a good book out there on Spanish Football called 'Morba' I believe I need to read, perhaps someone here knows it.

Cheers too for the post on the first page about the Toff's shirt, http://www.toffs.com/Bilbao-100-years-Shirt/productinfo/4072/&source=fs?awin=1

• 1 year later...

We should send all this to the Venkys so they can appreciate why we are so proud of our Club and that it us not just a commodity, its history.

Spot on,

The Rovers are more than just the BEST town football club in the world,

VENKYS wake up

How good would this be as a pre season tournament at Ewood? Somebody with contacts at Rovers should try and the ball rolling on this one.

Not just Ewood, rotate it around the clubs that we have influenced/helped to create, one year Ewood one year Spain one year Russia etc

• 3 years later...

When I opened this thread six years ago I forgot to mention another connection between the two clubs: Howard Kendall, player and manager for Blackburn Rovers, managed Athletic as well, and during his first season he had good results, finishing in 4th place. He was very well liked in Bilbao, having settled perfectly and making frequent trips to the city after he left the club. 

kendall-con-el-athletic.jpg

I have been to see Athletic Bilbao a couple of times and our hosts said the shirts were based on Sunderland shorts as they were formed by Sunderland fans who helped set up the Bilbao shipyards  and docks.

I believe Siriwans version of events. I wish I had known the truth......enjoyed the games though.

37 minutes ago, preston blue said:

I have been to see Athletic Bilbao a couple of times and our hosts said the shirts were based on Sunderland shorts as they were formed by Sunderland fans who helped set up the Bilbao shipyards  and docks.

I believe Siriwans version of events. I wish I had known the truth......enjoyed the games though.

The club was formed by Bilbao youngsters who saw the British sailors and shipyard workers play that strange game, but the club was founded by Basque people from the beginning, although there were also British players at first. As I said, from 1902 regularly one of Athletic's staff went to England to purchase Blackburn Rovers kits. In 1910 that task went to Juan Elorduy, one of the team's players. When he arrived to Blackburn the kits were sold out, so he returned to Southampton, the place were he had to take the ferry back to Bilbao, empty handed. There he saw that there were plenty of Southampton kits available, so he bought 50, 25 for Athletic Bilbao and 25 for Athletic Madrid (the future Atlético de Madrid). Athletic Madrid was formed as a kind of branch of Athletic, by Basque students. Atlético decided to keep Rovers shorts as a way to differentiate itself (and in 1921 it would separate from its parent club). That's why Atlético plays with blue shorts. But Athletic's current colours were not exactly based on Southampton's out of respect and admiration as it had happened with their previous kit, but was a product of luck and convenience.

There was no connection to Sunderland at all, because in the very beginning (1898-902, with the most British influence) Athletic played in all-white kits, and by the time it adopted its current colours the club wanted to keep being blue and white but fate played its part.

i actually enjoy Bilbao and watching them play... Ieker Muniain and Susaetta are good :) Besides that, they only have home grown (Basque) players in their squad, which is super cool

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2011 at 8:56 PM, Siriwan said:

Thank you all guys. I thought few people would find that interesting, as it's not directly Rovers-related. I see I was wrong.

Excellent work Siriwan. I'm familiar with the story, but you have detailed it superbly in your post.

Not that closely related but I remember hearing about how fans of visiting national sides (Croatia was one from memory) in Euro 96 bought Rovers shirts so that when ordering beer in English bars, they could just point at the 'McEwans Lager' sponsor, thus avoiding the language barrier.  How true that is I can't say!!

3 hours ago, MarkAtkins'BaldPatch said:

Not that closely related but I remember hearing about how fans of visiting national sides (Croatia was one from memory) in Euro 96 bought Rovers shirts so that when ordering beer in English bars, they could just point at the 'McEwans Lager' sponsor, thus avoiding the language barrier.

Imagine what they'd have thought of our beer if they'd have bought Newcastle shirts! :o

Hi Siriwan. What an interesting and informative post, thank you.

I shall be visiting Spain in early summer, so I will now not feel out of place wearing my Rovers shirt when passing through Bilbao, Santander on my way to Santiago de Compostela.  It will give me a buzz.

Thanks again

Just now, 4000Holes said:

Hi Siriwan. What an interesting and informative post, thank you.

I shall be visiting Spain in early summer, so I will now not feel out of place wearing my Rovers shirt when passing through Bilbao, Santander on my way to Santiago de Compostela.  It will give me a buzz.

Thanks again

Hi! Will you do the St. James Way? Bilbao is well worth a visit, specially if you like modern architecture and good food! Santander is a little charming city as well.

Archived