BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

On 24/12/2020 at 11:39, windymiller7 said:

Watched this one last week. Thought it was excellent & very in depth. Certainly didn't try to sugar coat all the police failings.

There's another one on Discovery+ (free for 12mths for Sky VIP members) about Saville. Not as good or in depth as the Ripper one, but gives an interesting insight about how he was literally 'hiding in plain sight' for years & got away with it.

Watched that one as well now. 

Again, it’s very good. The Andrew Neill interview was, looking back, very telling. Knowing what we do now, Savilles nasty side was there to be seen.

In the 60’s a close friend of mine was quite close to a number of the nursing staff who worked in the Leeds hospital where Saville did voluntary work. Saville used to make a lot of his voluntary work in the press and on TV.  That work impressed the public who saw him as some kind of do Gooder, but it didn’t impress the nursing staff who worked alongside him. They thought he was in it for himself. They saw no benefit in him being around, in fact they very definitely didn’t like him at all. They thought he was working against their own interests. That surprised me to be honest. I couldn’t really believe what I was being told. 

They were right though weren’t they. He was up to no good and even though they probably didn’t know “exactly” what he was up to, they knew a dodgy character when they saw one. I wonder if they were shocked when after his death, the truth was exposed.

• Like 1

On 22/12/2020 at 17:01, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Mrs Shoelaces says " Money Heist " is the best thing she's watched for a while.

Do you like my new font ? My computer obviously does.

Absolutely fantastic show. Series 1 and 2 were brilliant. 3rd and 4th were still surprisingly good even though I thought it was going to be a desperate attempt to keep the franchise going. 

I'm behind times as i have never had Netflix or Amazon prime video,ive decided this year is the time to get both as normal tv other than the odd bbc drama or documentry it's lacking anything worth watching these days.Ive already got a list of stuff i need to watch,i just hope theres enough time in the day to watch them all.

5 hours ago, den said:

Just finished the last of Schitts creek. It goes beyond being funny. You grow into the programme and the characters. There is a follow up episode that’s worth watching. The show went huge and I can see why.

Just watched the first 2 episodes on your recommendation den, funny.

28 minutes ago, Gav said:

Just watched the first 2 episodes on your recommendation den, funny.

Gets better as the series go. Have you seen the kids reaction when they walked in on mum and dad having sex? 

Thought I’d better explain, no - nothing to see there, it isn’t that kind of show.

Edited by den

10 hours ago, gumboots said:

Saw a bit of it I think while husband was channel hopping. We're old fashioned in our house. He owns the remote

My wife has set our remote up for finger print ID I think. I just get to watch whatever she fancies. I'm surprised you're not an avid " Spiral " fan. It's been great right from the first series.

She had me watch the recent chess film, " Queens Gambit ? " That's worth watching.

Watched Benedict Cumberbatch in the imitation game. A film about Alan Turing. Not a new film, but very good. 

What I’d never realised was that even into the fifties, this country offered homosexual men a choice of a prison sentence or hormonal therapy if they had been found guilty of “indecent activities” - whatever that is exactly.

Turing took the hormonal therapy along with its side effects. 

Can’t believe our country did that.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, den said:

Watched Benedict Cumberbatch in the imitation game. A film about Alan Turing. Not a new film, but very good. 

What I’d never realised was that even into the fifties, this country offered homosexual men a choice of a prison sentence or hormonal therapy if they had been found guilty of “indecent activities” - whatever that is exactly.

Turing took the hormonal therapy along with its side effects. 

Can’t believe our country did that.

I always feel that as long as people are alive who were alive back when something was common practice, the shadows linger.

Eg: Homosexuality stopped being illegal in the early 70s. Only once people born in the 80s are the oldest in society will homophobia finally start to fade imo.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

My wife has set our remote up for finger print ID I think. I just get to watch whatever she fancies. I'm surprised you're not an avid " Spiral " fan. It's been great right from the first series.

She had me watch the recent chess film, " Queens Gambit ? " That's worth watching.

To be honest, I watch very little TV. I can't be bothered to concentrate through most programmes. 

1 hour ago, gumboots said:

To be honest, I watch very little TV. I can't be bothered to concentrate through most programmes. 

If it wasn't for Mrs Shoelaces I wouldn't watch much TV either. We have a radio in every room, all tuned to Radio 4. That's our source of entertainment for most of the time. If I leave my wife at home for a full day every radio will be on, along with every light, and every door will be open. When I retired I made it a rule not to put the TV on until the 6 o'clock news.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If it wasn't for Mrs Shoelaces I wouldn't watch much TV either. We have a radio in every room, all tuned to Radio 4. That's our source of entertainment for most of the time. If I leave my wife at home for a full day every radio will be on, along with every light, and every door will be open. When I retired I made it a rule not to put the TV on until the 6 o'clock news.

You made it a rule? Not very PC!

On 02/01/2021 at 20:50, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

" Spiral " starts in 10 minutes on BBC4.  The last in a series of French police crime thrillers. There are subtitles for us plebs who hated French at school. The guy who taught me used to send me into town to buy midget gems for him in our lessons.  He knew I was a hopeless case.

I bet Gumboots will tuning in though.  

Seeing the new (and last) series was starting I decided to download the fist few series that we never saw. I can't remember when we came in so I downloaded everything the BBC had, all 73 episodes - it took all night for them to download. We have one episode of the very first series to watch tonight. I should catch up sometime in February!

We watch an awful lot of subtitled TV. It's one great advantage apart from the usually high quality, assuming you can't understand the language, is that you have to watch the screen the whole time and the temptation to be constantly glancing at your phone/iPad is removed.

6 hours ago, gumboots said:

Currently watching The Serpent and really enjoying it. 

I've seen the first 2 episodes and its been good so far,i like true crime dramas although i have to resist looking at wikipedia to see what happens to them before i finish watching the whole series.