Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She’ll say “Tyrone that film was f*cking brilliant you c*nt”

Just watched the ripper on Netflix. 4 - 1hr episodes documenting the Yorkshire rippers attacks and following the police handling of the case. Seen these kind of progs before but this one is the best o

The boys from the black stuff - I can’t find words to describe it, fantastic doesn’t do it justice.  Proper Tv, stories about real people that still resonate today.   

Posted Images

" Spiral " starts in 10 minutes on BBC4.  The last in a series of French police crime thrillers. There are subtitles for us plebs who hated French at school. The guy who taught me used to send me into town to buy midget gems for him in our lessons.  He knew I was a hopeless case.

I bet Gumboots will tuning in though.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gumboots said:

Saw a bit of it I think while husband was channel hopping. We're old fashioned in our house. He owns the remote

My wife has set our remote up for finger print ID I think. I just get to watch whatever she fancies. I'm surprised you're not an avid " Spiral " fan. It's been great right from the first series.

She had me watch the recent chess film, " Queens Gambit ? " That's worth watching.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched Benedict Cumberbatch in the imitation game. A film about Alan Turing. Not a new film, but very good. 
 

What I’d never realised was that even into the fifties, this country offered homosexual men a choice of a prison sentence or hormonal therapy if they had been found guilty of “indecent activities” - whatever that is exactly.

Turing took the hormonal therapy along with its side effects. 
 

Can’t believe our country did that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, den said:

Watched Benedict Cumberbatch in the imitation game. A film about Alan Turing. Not a new film, but very good. 
 

What I’d never realised was that even into the fifties, this country offered homosexual men a choice of a prison sentence or hormonal therapy if they had been found guilty of “indecent activities” - whatever that is exactly.

Turing took the hormonal therapy along with its side effects. 
 

Can’t believe our country did that.

I always feel that as long as people are alive who were alive back when something was common practice, the shadows linger.

Eg: Homosexuality stopped being illegal in the early 70s. Only once people born in the 80s are the oldest in society will homophobia finally start to fade imo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

My wife has set our remote up for finger print ID I think. I just get to watch whatever she fancies. I'm surprised you're not an avid " Spiral " fan. It's been great right from the first series.

She had me watch the recent chess film, " Queens Gambit ? " That's worth watching.

To be honest, I watch very little TV. I can't be bothered to concentrate through most programmes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gumboots said:

To be honest, I watch very little TV. I can't be bothered to concentrate through most programmes. 

If it wasn't for Mrs Shoelaces I wouldn't watch much TV either. We have a radio in every room, all tuned to Radio 4. That's our source of entertainment for most of the time. If I leave my wife at home for a full day every radio will be on, along with every light, and every door will be open. When I retired I made it a rule not to put the TV on until the 6 o'clock news.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
Link to post
Share on other sites

I never turn on tv or radio although I dont turn it off if its on, especially if I'm in on my own at night. Kim's the TV watcher. But much of what we watch is stuff we've recorded. We watch very little live, except for sport.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If it wasn't for Mrs Shoelaces I wouldn't watch much TV either. We have a radio in every room, all tuned to Radio 4. That's our source of entertainment for most of the time. If I leave my wife at home for a full day every radio will be on, along with every light, and every door will be open. When I retired I made it a rule not to put the TV on until the 6 o'clock news.

You made it a rule? Not very PC!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/01/2021 at 20:50, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

" Spiral " starts in 10 minutes on BBC4.  The last in a series of French police crime thrillers. There are subtitles for us plebs who hated French at school. The guy who taught me used to send me into town to buy midget gems for him in our lessons.  He knew I was a hopeless case.

I bet Gumboots will tuning in though.  

Seeing the new (and last) series was starting I decided to download the fist few series that we never saw. I can't remember when we came in so I downloaded everything the BBC had, all 73 episodes - it took all night for them to download. We have one episode of the very first series to watch tonight. I should catch up sometime in February!

We watch an awful lot of subtitled TV. It's one great advantage apart from the usually high quality, assuming you can't understand the language, is that you have to watch the screen the whole time and the temptation to be constantly glancing at your phone/iPad is removed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gumboots said:

Currently watching The Serpent and really enjoying it. 

I've seen the first 2 episodes and its been good so far,i like true crime dramas although i have to resist looking at wikipedia to see what happens to them before i finish watching the whole series.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/01/2021 at 11:05, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

My wife has set our remote up for finger print ID I think. I just get to watch whatever she fancies. I'm surprised you're not an avid " Spiral " fan. It's been great right from the first series.

She had me watch the recent chess film, " Queens Gambit ? " That's worth watching.

After I insisted we watched The Night Stalker on Netflix, superb by the way.

The Mrs has insisted I watch The Queen's Gambit - 4 episodes in, very good as TS says above.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished The Serpent a couple of nights back. Thought it was a slow starter but excellent from Ep2 onwards.

Also finished Designated Survivor a couple of weeks ago - wow, some of the stuff was a bit close to the bone saying it was recorded 2 or 3 years ago! Starts with bombing of the Capitol FFS! Some of the other storylines get a bit close too, but I'll not give anything away for those who haven't seen it.

Just started Mindhunters (Netflix). Set in 1970s, FBI - Enjoying it so far.

Edited by windymiller7
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, windymiller7 said:

Finished The Serpent a couple of nights back. Thought it was a slow starter but excellent from Ep2 onwards.

The Mrs says its the best thing she has seen on Tv for years, I may give it a go myself. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.