BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

9 hours ago, Gav said:

Is anyone watching ‘Sherwood’ On BBC?

Murder, mining communities, unions, corruption, based on true events. 

2 episodes in, good so far. 

I was going to say similar Gav. It's packed full of quality British actors and actresses and the storyline is gripping and turning into a real whodunit. On a similar theme one of my favourite films is still Brassed Off which, whilst being generally a comedy has a serious undertone to it. Coco the Scab still makes me laugh.

Early on in my refereeing career I was at Rotherham who were playing Chesterfield. Sporadically during the game I heard chants of 'scab, scab' directed at the Chesterfield fans. I asked one of the locals after the game and he explained what is was about with the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire miners not going on strike. I heard it many times subsequently and even in the recent Sheffield United against Forest playoff game.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I was going to say similar Gav. It's packed full of quality British actors and actresses and the storyline is gripping and turning into a real whodunit. On a similar theme one of my favourite films is still Brassed Off which, whilst being generally a comedy has a serious undertone to it. Coco the Scab still makes me laugh.

Early on in my refereeing career I was at Rotherham who were playing Chesterfield. Sporadically during the game I heard chants of 'scab, scab' directed at the Chesterfield fans. I asked one of the locals after the game and he explained what is was about with the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire miners not going on strike. I heard it many times subsequently and even in the recent Sheffield United against Forest playoff game.

Yes, feelings still run deep in those mining communities Tony, they're still divided and its been 40yrs since the miners strike.

I know someone right now looking to move into those areas, mining villages and they've been warned by work colleagues it takes time to be accepted, they're not welcoming at first, be prepared!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gav said:

Yes, feelings still run deep in those mining communities Tony, they're still divided and its been 40yrs since the miners strike.

I know someone right now looking to move into those areas, mining villages and they've been warned by work colleagues it takes time to be accepted, they're not welcoming at first, be prepared!

You want to try being a Lancastrian "taking Cornish people's jobs" 😂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, arbitro said:

Wigan RLFC fans are known as pie eaters because the miners in Wigan went back to work during a strike a hundred years ago. They were seen to have eaten humble pie.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Riversider28 said:

Ha! So true. Been there

1. When we moved down here in '92 I asked an old boy in the pub how long it took outsiders to be accepted. His reply was:

"We'll give it 3 generations boy, then we'll have a look" 🤦‍♀️

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DeeCee said:
  1. When we moved down here in '92 I asked an old boy in the pub how long it took outsiders to be accepted. His reply was:

"We'll give it 3 generations boy, then we'll have a look" 🤦‍♀️

You’ll still be considered an emmit until you retire 😂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Wigan RLFC fans are known as pie eaters because the miners in Wigan went back to work during a strike a hundred years ago. They were seen to have eaten humble pie.

Never call someone from Leigh a ‘pie eater’… 

‘We are Lobby Gobblers!’

• 2 weeks later...

Sherwood finished on BBC last night, it's been a brilliant watch, tense, well written and well acted, played out against the background of the miners' strike. The best thing I've seen on TV since Time - also on BBC

• Like 2

I started to watch the program on Hinkley Point but had to watch it on i player as i had to go to work very good and interesting. Then noticed a program on the history of Selafield/ Heysham also very good and interesting.

On 29/06/2022 at 15:52, jodrell said:

Then noticed a program on the history of Selafield/ Heysham also very good and interesting

What was the programme? 

Sellafield is very interesting, I've had a couple of tours and it's brilliant. 

I watched When They See Us again this week and I would recommend it to anyone who has a few hours spare. I also watched an Oprah Winfrey special which featured the actors, actresses and producer but the most interesting part was the they brought out the five men who were incarcerated and then pardoned when someone came forward and admitted the heinous crime. Listening to what they had to say was fascinating.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gav said:

Has anyone watched the Sex Pistols mini series on Disney+?

Mrs watching the first few right now, soundtrack sounds epic.

I saw it Gav and really enjoyed it. As with Bohemian Rhapsody I was mightily impressed how they get the actors to really look like the characters they are playing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Isn’t that the first “ stand alone “ programme that came out before the series ?

There was a pilot episode where they went to Middlesbrough but this is the series.

9 minutes ago, arbitro said:

There was a pilot episode where they went to Middlesbrough but this is the series.

Yes, you’re right. Episodes 1,2,3 of 5. That’ll teach me to question the ref’s decision.

It was brilliant TV but I couldn’t watch it in the end, it was too upsetting for me.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1