BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] where will rovers finish in the league this season

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just want to see it in a positive light and make a comparison to Norwegian top division and the team SK Brann.

Last year they had a lot of "star players" on massive wages such as Eirik Bakke (ex leeds), David Nilsen (Ex FC Copenhagen) and PVM (Sold to QPR), Eirik Huseklepp (we where linked to him , but he left for Bari). They ended just above the relegation in 2010/2011.

In addition to this they have a incompetent executive manager and a club in turmoil (I have a couple of sources who have been involved in SK Brann earlier).

Before this season everybody had them to go down and all the media were rubbishing the team and the club.

What has happened is the fact that the youth players + a couple of other players have taken the step and matured. They have also had a couple of foreigners to adjust for some time. SK Brann are now close to the top.

In our case we are set to remove Kalinic, EH Diouf, RSC, Jermaine Jones all on reportedly massive wages. Phil Jones had the same status in Rovers as Huseklepp has in Brann. They have never equally replaced him.

We have Olsson, Nzonzi, Hoilett and Grant Hanley who might have matured and may take a step forward from last season. We have Rochina, Formica who are foreigners and may been adjusted for the premiership. We have youth Jason Lowe, Josh Morris, Amine Linganzi and Nick Blackman who might be ready to perform if given the chance.

17th at best unless the incompetent prats who own/manage the club suddenly sign some good players. We'll save one of the promoted clubs from going down, and I feel like every game will be like that Nottingham Forest game in our last relegation season.

Terrifying prospect at present.

I don't know what to think about this.

Part of me, when I look at the departures and lack of arrivals, agrees with philipl's view.

Part of me, looking at the broader picture, thinks [hopes, prays!] that there'll be three teams [swansea, Wigan, maybe Norwich or Wolves] below us, although it will be a lot closer than last season.

This is 1965/6 without the polio.

Am I right in remembering people saying we were too good a team to go down then? Can't imagine many people saying that this time.

About 2 weeks ago I said about 16th since then nothing has happened on signings and I'm now thinking about 18th. We will just have to hope the 3 promoted teams go straight back down.

We probably have a squad of players that is stronger than the promoted teams, the problem is they each have a manager who is far better than ours. If Kean remains manager throughout the season then unfortunately bottom three seems nailed on certainty.

This must be the hardest year ever to answer this particular question.

No matter what we HAVE to bring in some players and they will need time to settle.

If the right players are brought in and they settle in to Keans plan then this could be a good season (10th).

If the wrong players are brought in or the players need a long time to settle it could be squeaky bum bum time come may.

Not a great piece although I can see the sentiment in it. It started off reasonably but I did wonder who Ricardo Rochina was (Ricardo Rocha?).

This was an interesting line: "...disconnect between how Kean wants his team to play and how his resources allow them to...".

Makes me wonder if we will be this season's Blackpool (relegated in style) or if a change may come in the form of an experienced manager who will provide the necessary nouse (safe with time to spare).

As things stand, with Kean's tactics, I say: 17th.

Just.

A decent balanced article I thought.

Aye it's not bad. Agree with him that if we strengthen we could do well. If not we could struggle. I know we only have one striker (unless Fantasticpenis has signed) but aside from that, I still think we'd be alright (just) with the current squad. Rather not find out though!

everything points to relegation this next season. Personally, I feel we're toothless in attack, unfit and lethargic in midfield (Dunn, Grella etc still getting a game...unbeliveable!!!!!!!)...the defence is weaker as Jones is gone, Salgado looks like the years are catching up with him and Hanley just isn't anywhere near a premier league player.

We're on the edge here and if Kean isn't sacked and radical changes happen, then I can see another Birmingham.

We're on the edge here and if Kean isn't sacked and radical changes happen, then I can see another Birmingham.

You mean in terms of going down, rather than qualifying for Europe via the League Cup, I take it!? ;)

Not a great piece although I can see the sentiment in it. It started off reasonably but I did wonder who Ricardo Rochina was (Ricardo Rocha?).

This was an interesting line: "...disconnect between how Kean wants his team to play and how his resources allow them to...".

Makes me wonder if we will be this season's Blackpool (relegated in style) or if a change may come in the form of an experienced manager who will provide the necessary nouse (safe with time to spare).

As things stand, with Kean's tactics, I say: 17th.

Just.

This is a really good point Jisty. It sounds plainly obvious, but Kean's tactics will make or break us. What i mean by that is, if he is to wholeheartedly implement his preferred style onto the team this season its do or die. Last year he tried it and often resorted to Sam's more direct approach during crunch games when we simply couldn't afford to lose. What worries me is this season that option might not be available to him. Lots of the players we seem to be looking at would be totally redundant in a more direct system. So, in other words, if all our reported targets come to fruition we could easily be relying on the likes of Hoillet, Rochina, Formica, Verinha (sp), Raul, Andy Johnson etc... who would be worthless in attempting to win long balls. I guess Petrovic and N'Zonzi are big lads, but N'Zonzi is terrible at converting headers and Petrovic is an unknown quantity. Samba would be a danger from set pieces, but who's to say he'll be staying?

I'm all for a 'pretty' style of play, but i do have a nagging worry that if we bring in a handful of new players who are equipped to play pretty football, we will heavily rely on them gelling quickly and finding a system that can work for us. If not and worst case scenario, we could be in deep trouble by Christmas. I'll remain upbeat for now, but it does concern me that our get out of jail free cards are rapidly diminshing.

Decent article but I cannot see us finishing 19th, the only reason being they're much worse teams in the league.

Swansea & Norwich, cannot see them surviving at all, the signings they have made just aren't PL quality.

Wigan, Al Habsi is an excellent signing but losing N'Zogbia is a really big blow for them, unless they reinvest in a quality replacement they'll be definitely gunning for the drop.

Wolves, good signings in johnson & o'hara but always get dragged in the scrap.

Still pessimistic, but think we'll finish between 12-16th.

Decent article but I cannot see us finishing 19th, the only reason being they're much worse teams in the league.

There really aren't any "much worse" teams than us in the league.

We are down to the bare bones and have lost the youngster whose return to the team helped inspire our survival. Jermaine Jones has also gone.

As things stand, bottom four is very likely. I would say 19th sounds about right. Unfortunately, I'm usually pretty good at predictions. Hope I'm way out this time.

We need 4 or 5 players bringing in urgently. What happens if we lose a few players to injury? We have nobody to bring in. Just a load of youngsters who have played about 1 prem game each.

It isn't a good time to be a Rovers fan, that's for sure.

So much for our 50million quid transfer war chest...

:(

i share your sentiments, makes me laugh when certain supporters claim there are much worse teams than us as though we are blessed with top quality players. The likes of qpr and norwich have canny managers too, who have proven that they can work miracles against all the odds, we have......steve kean.

i share your sentiments, makes me laugh when certain supporters claim there are much worse teams than us as though we are blessed with top quality players. The likes of qpr and norwich have canny managers too, who have proven that they can work miracles against all the odds, we have......steve kean.

For christs sake! I'm getting sick of this. What does the poor sod have to do to get his long hours and thinking mind recognised? Some people are never bloody happy!

Archived