BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

nightlife in blackburn

alot of people go to the adelphi, last orders or the times for a pre/post match drink.

by the way alexer, heaven and hell shut down years ago, best nightclub was jumpin jaks, liquid envy was a peice of cr*p, havent been nighclubbing for years.

Yer that's the travelodge we're stopping at, to get into darwen do you jus turn left instead of right towards ewood then? And is there a town centre?

You should have picked the premier lodge on Oakenhurt farm opposite side of the motorway to the travelodge, as this has a bar, unlike the travelodge.

Edited by JAL

Found some pubs in the Cherry Tree area like White bull and The station, how are they for a pint before game? Im coming from Preston by train and was planning to get off at Cherry Tree for a little walkabout down to Ewood.

It's a nice walk to the ground from Cherry Tree station. The Station and Beehive are across from each other. Then it's a short walk down the nearby canal to the Navigation and Kings Inn. Up the road from these two are the Livesey Branch Road pubs, taking you down to Ewood Park. A pint in them all will leave you not caring what the result is - enjoy your visit.

It's a nice walk to the ground from Cherry Tree station. The Station and Beehive are across from each other. Then it's a short walk down the nearby canal to the Navigation and Kings Inn. Up the road from these two are the Livesey Branch Road pubs, taking you down to Ewood Park. A pint in them all will leave you not caring what the result is - enjoy your visit.

Took the words out of my mouth wily.

matt... don't talk posh or stare at anyone. ;)

It was scunny... until about 10 years ago. Unfortunately the majority of the town's younger population are tee total these days and as a result any real town centre nightlife has been killed off and the younger drinkers have been forced to seek pastures new in Clitheroe, Manchester and Preston.

Come on Gordon, you know very well that what you're implying isn't true. Nothing to do with demographics and everything to do with geography. There was no step change in the demographic profile of the town circa ten years ago, but what did happen was the rat-run across/through the Mall connecting the main clusters of pubs was closed. This was the sole reason for the demise of the town centre nightlife scene. Little did the planners back in the 60's know that what they were proposing ( including one of the largest night clubs in Europe) would half a century later strangle the town's night time economy. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Let's hope the old Market site can be developed with all this in mind.

• Backroom

Come on Gordon, you know very well that what you're implying isn't true. Nothing to do with demographics and everything to do with geography. There was no step change in the demographic profile of the town circa ten years ago, but what did happen was the rat-run across/through the Mall connecting the main clusters of pubs was closed. This was the sole reason for the demise of the town centre nightlife scene. Little did the planners back in the 60's know that what they were proposing ( including one of the largest night clubs in Europe) would half a century later strangle the town's night time economy. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Let's hope the old Market site can be developed with all this in mind.

Yep, when I first started going out 10 years ago we used to start over at Marleys then onto T-Bar (toffs) then up the stairs accross town to Bentleys, O Neills, then the lounge, cafe manyana (i think thats what it was called), Blakeys and then back over to the cav.

Now there is nothing over where Cav etc was and it has slowly killed it off. If it was just to do with the population then surely Preston and Burnley would have died a death as well?

When Blackburn started declining badly a few years back I thought a walkabout or even a revolution may have kicked some life back into it but it's too late now I think.

Geography??? Absolute piffle Neil. Blackburn's tiny shopping centre is hardly akin to either the Great Rift valley or the the bloody Siegfried Line is it? Going via Northgate instead of up the stairs would have seen Tom add about 100yards to his journey (and call in at FJ's, Blakeys or North on his way. If the 'tee totallers' were normal people with normal habits the town centre would be absolutely heaving. It'd be chocker at weekends like it was when I was young. You cannot dismiss the demographics just like that cos if for arguments sake the indigenous population and those of immigrant descent is roughly 50:50 then the %age of 18-25 year olds living within the boundaries of Blackburn will be strongly tilted in favour of the immigrants. A glance at the birth records of the past 20 years will surely support my point.

I will give you that the authorities contributed massively by allowing late night drinking on the outskirts thus negating the need for people to taxi in at 11.00pm. Do you for one minute though think that hard up youngsters of today would pay massive taxi fares to and from neighbouring towns every weekend if there was a decent option in our town?

Edited by thenodrog

Come on Gordon, you know very well that what you're implying isn't true. Nothing to do with demographics and everything to do with geography. There was no step change in the demographic profile of the town circa ten years ago, but what did happen was the rat-run across/through the Mall connecting the main clusters of pubs was closed. This was the sole reason for the demise of the town centre nightlife scene.

Neil that is absolute and utter piffle.

It was scunny... until about 10 years ago. Unfortunately the majority of the town's younger population are tee total these days and as a result any real town centre nightlife has been killed off and the younger drinkers have been forced to seek pastures new in Clitheroe, Manchester and Preston.

On the plus side though you can buy a kebab on virtually every street corner, masses of drugs available too if you either want or need them and taxi's are two a penny. Enjoy.

nodrog uoy tnuc

• Moderation Lead

Back on topic, it really is pure tosh in Blackburn, such a shame as when I was at college and first started on the sauce properly, it was such a terrific night out on a Wednesday and on a weekend, so many bars have since shut it's tragic.

Liquid/Envy is awful and many have boycotted it, Jazzy Kex/Barzooka are still open but dead quiet when I've been over, I believe the cellar bar has re-opened? But under a different name, but there's just no options at all. I really wish it would get some investment, Bolton/Preston are the best bets locally, obviously barring Manchester!

This song just about sums it up these days-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WhhSBgd3KI&ob=av2n

Back on topic, it really is pure tosh in Blackburn, such a shame as when I was at college and first started on the sauce properly, it was such a terrific night out on a Wednesday and on a weekend, so many bars have since shut it's tragic.

Liquid/Envy is awful and many have boycotted it, Jazzy Kex/Barzooka are still open but dead quiet when I've been over, I believe the cellar bar has re-opened? But under a different name, but there's just no options at all. I really wish it would get some investment, Bolton/Preston are the best bets locally, obviously barring Manchester!

This song just about sums it up these days-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WhhSBgd3KI&ob=av2n

True k-Hod ...... But looking at the situation dispassionately and with a business head on would you be prepared to sink your savings to invest in a nightspot in Blackburn?

nodrog uoy tnuc

I may be Cat but I'm not a lying one, nor do I have my head up my esra like you. So please feel free to point out which part of my post contains any innaccuracies. Off you go.

C'mon Gordon, you can do better than that! Have another go. Tell me what is wrong with my (correct) analysis.

I posted a couple of paragraphs but as I posted the internet went down. I'll give it another go later.

Edited by thenodrog

Neil that is absolute and utter piffle.

C'mon Gordon, you can do better than that! Have another go. Tell me what is wrong with my (correct) analysis.

Alrighty Neil.... For one it's complete piffle cos geography doesn't come into it at all and demographics have had a massive effect. Blackburn shopping centre is hardly the Great Wall of China or the Siegfried Line is it? :rolleyes: A few acres thats all, it's not even a tiny fraction of the trafford centre is it? Crikey if Tom didn't go up those steps he'd have to take a massive detour of 100 yards along Northgate. :rolleyes:

Point is as you very well know is that a town of approx 120,000 people of whom alcohol is part of the culture to a town nowadys with an approx 50:50 christain:muslim split of individuals between 18 and 30. Market forces and the birth figures have done and are doing the rest.

Edited by thenodrog

Dont think i can make some idiots think a 38year old Swede is posh when seeking refreshments in a pub in cherry tree, but as always ill standard corrected if proven wrong

Id imagine that wou will have a better command of the Queens English than the average punter in'th Navvy matt.

Personally I'd put it down to tribalism. ;)

Edited by thenodrog

Alrighty Neil.... For one it's complete piffle cos geography doesn't come into it at all and demographics have had a massive effect. Blackburn shopping centre is hardly the Great Wall of China or the Siegfried Line is it? :rolleyes: A few acres thats all, it's not even a tiny fraction of the trafford centre is it? Crikey if Tom didn't go up those steps he'd have to take a massive detour of 100 yards along Northgate. :rolleyes:

Point is as you very well know is that a town of approx 120,000 people of whom alcohol is part of the culture to a town nowadys with an approx 50:50 christain:muslim split of individuals between 18 and 30. Market forces and the birth figures have done and are doing the rest.

Even taking into account the 50-50 split you have quoted, that is the equivalent of Blackburn having a population of 60,000 ... Still considerably larger than a lot of towns with a perceived livelier nightlife (Clitheroe for example). That is why your argument holds no water. As I said the main reason for the downturn in Blackburn's nightlife is that the clusters of pubs orbiting the Mall have become isolated due to access restrictions being imposed. Hopefully this issue can be addressed.

As I said the main reason for the downturn in Blackburn's nightlife is that the clusters of pubs orbiting the Mall have become isolated due to access restrictions being imposed. Hopefully this issue can be addressed.

Now I've only met you briefly once or twice Neil and from that I have got to say I do quite like you, and that is why I have selected these carefully and in the order that I want them to be interpreted......

:o. :lol: . :wstu:

No hard feelings I hope.

Edited by thenodrog
  • Downvote 1