BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

nightlife in blackburn

Was involved with the Napier reopening and hopeful of getting down tomorrow- any more BRFCCers ever go there? I can imagine abbey with his music taste might be one!

In a true JFK moment. I was in there when Princess Diana died.

b3ee34bcdc2243049cf3ef486dbe7890.jpg

Though I can't recall that "Goodbye Axl Rose" song being on the jukebox (jukebox? seriously, that sounds so ancient now, lol).

• Like 1

My dad said that once upon a time people used to come from London for a night out at The Cavendish.

I can well believe it. I had some great nights there with top artists before the Blackburn thugs moved in.

In a true JFK moment. I was in there when Princess Diana died.

b3ee34bcdc2243049cf3ef486dbe7890.jpg

Though I can't recall that "Goodbye Axl Rose" song being on the jukebox (jukebox? seriously, that sounds so ancient now, lol).

That reminds me what a beautiful woman she was and look what Charlie dumped her for! Specsavers comes to mind.

Absolutely thrilled at the news that the old Apollo cinema will be refurbished and reopened as a cinema with a restaurant and coffee bar. Love that building, saw the first Harry Potter there!

Yes the place is a special building and essentially makes me think of being young and growing up in Blackburn! Not sure if I'll feel the same about the stairs... Haha

Absolutely thrilled at the news that the old Apollo cinema will be refurbished and reopened as a cinema with a restaurant and coffee bar. Love that building, saw the first Harry Potter there!

Is that the one that used to be called the "Majestic"? I always thought that that was the best cinema in town. I saw some great films there including the early 3D films. They needed to have a break when a 3D film was on to change the reels because they needed to use both projectors in conjunction. They were good days.

Great news. They had a similar old cinema in Chorley which stood empty for years and years then they flattened it so place hasn't had a cinema since god knows when. So many things they could have done with it.

It's the one on the corner, Al, the one next to what was next to Tiggi's just on King William Street. A great cinema though, that was.

That's the one. It was originally called the "Majestic". Loved it. It's good news that it will be re developed.

I'm older than you. "Unit 4" was the second name. The first one was "Majestic".

The Classic before the Unit 4 and the Esoldo before that. I'm very familiar with the site as I closed it in 2005. The VUE put paid to a Cinema that served the town for a long time.

I was privy to several plans to develop the site and visited site on many occasions with potential developers. One scheme involved residential apartments overlooking a central courtyard which looked very nice, but Margaret Grimshaw's flats at the top of Mincing lane were a stark reminder of the lack of local money.

Between you and me the building is knackered, but memories of Screen 1 (before and after the refurb) are dear. The first time I saw Star Wars was in there, and jumping up as Ben Gardner's head rolled out of THAT boat.

The title of the thread should be edited to No nightlife in Blackburn.

A councilor for the one horse town of Darren this week complained that they could be on the verge of having too much night life,

My my how far Blackburn has fallen.

• Like 1

The title of the thread should be edited to No nightlife in Blackburn.

A councilor for the one horse town of Darren this week complained that they could be on the verge of having too much night life,

My my how far Blackburn has fallen.

True though, a pub crawl in the old Blackburn was magical, not now 'Range' has taken over - ghost town.

Darwen is a great night :)

• Like 1

But just 10 years ago, Darwen was poor and Blackburn was still a decent(ish) night out.

However, the opening of the Bridgewater was the catalyst for what you see today (obviously helped by Blackburn's nightlife folding almost overnight).

Blackburn could rise again with such a catalyat, the old cinema would have been perfect for a large bar to help reinvigorate the night time economy, however I always get the feeling that this isn't a priority with the powers that be.

But just 10 years ago, Darwen was poor and Blackburn was still a decent(ish) night out.

However, the opening of the Bridgewater was the catalyst for what you see today (obviously helped by Blackburn's nightlife folding almost overnight).

Blackburn could rise again with such a catalyat, the old cinema would have been perfect for a large bar to help reinvigorate the night time economy, however I always get the feeling that this isn't a priority with the powers that be.

Amazing really that such a grotty place such as The Bridgewater could kick-start the nightlife in the town. People must have been pretty desperate for somewhere, anywhere, to go.