BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers Legends

Driftpeasant

So this thread may have, at one time, existed, but I can't use the search feature for some reason, so I thought I'd ask.

What is the consensus on Rovers "legends"? Is there one? There used to be a Greatest XI section on this site, but I can't find it now.

Off the top of my head, since I've been supporting Rovers since 1999:

Jack Walker (admittedly not a player, but...)

Brad Friedel

Tugay

The 1994-1995 squad:

Grame Le Saux

Colin Hendry

Alan Shearer

Chris Sutton

Tim Flowers

Tim Sherwood

Stuart Ripley

Mark Atkins

Henning Berg

Ian Pearce

Jason Wilcox

The Before My Time Lot:

Simon Garnet

Bob Crompton

Any other suggestions?

Derek Fazackerley. Arguably our most consistent defender in my Rovers supporting lifetime (48+ years). He was virtually a one club man and I'm pretty sure that he holds the record for the most Rovers appearances.

Not often gets a mention but Glenn Keeley has got to been in there, at Rovers for 11 years (only broke by that disastrous loan spell at Everton, two games was it? , gave a penalty away and got sent off:) ) Had him as my favourite player in the programme when I was mascot for the Sunderland home game in 1977.

A no messing central defender, oh how we could do with a couple of those now

And two players who were supposed to be past it when they came to Rovers, but as a kid I was in awe of them , David Wagstaffe (who I seem to remember had two spells at the club ) and Duncan McKenzie if ever you needed a player to hold the ball in the corner for the last 5 minutes of a game, even at Rovers he had a sublime touch.

I think first we need to agree on what a legend is....

A lot of the names mentioned above were great players - but here-today-gone- tomorrow types...

there's a difference between 'great players who have played for the Rovers' and 'Rovers legends'

Faz & Keely were hardly 'great' players - but to me they are Ewood Legends

Ossie Ardiles - world cup winnning player - but Ewood legend?

I'll throw the name of Howard Kendal in to the debate...

And what about Colin Hendry?

Not often gets a mention but Glenn Keeley has got to been in there, at Rovers for 11 years (only broke by that disastrous loan spell at Everton, two games was it? , gave a penalty away and got sent off:) ) Had him as my favourite player in the programme when I was mascot for the Sunderland home game in 1977.

I know Glenn personally through University when he did Sports Science post football carear, not on my course but played 5-a-side at Uni with him, and did a FA coaching course or two through him.

I can confirm that he is a legend in all meanings of the word, sorted some things out for me on my 21st amongst other things that he didn't have to do.

He told me some great stories about his time under various managers at Rovers, including Jim Smith and teacups on a windy afternoon at Ewood that witnessed "killer" scoring an own goal.

Other legends for me:

Shearer,

Hendry, for both spells but probably more for scoring that goal at Wembley in 87 and me then being on the front of the LET with him holding the cup!

Terry Genoe

Mike Newell, promotion, Premier League and Champs League hat-trick!

Clayton and Douglas, never watched them play myself but heard all about them and used to sit by them in the Nuttal St as a kid and they were/are gentlemen.

Tugay (and his invisible friend!)

David Speedie for that one wondeful season, including the dive that got us in to the Premier League!

Mark Atkins (aka Super Atko)

Non Playing has to be Jack Walker, Kenny Dalglish and Bill Fox!

Chris Price, my favourite as a kid in the 80's

Before you have a definitive list you surely(by definition)need a Definition.

Might I suggest 3 criteria:

- played for the Rovers a length of time

- stayed loyal to the Rovers after Retirement

or - won something special for the Rovers

So...Bob Crompton, Ronnie Clayton and Brian Douglas qualify on all 3 criteria; Alan Shearer on 2 maybe,as does Tony Parkes, Colin Hendry,Simon Garner,Mark Atkins and a few others mentioned.

I think you have to meet at least 2 of these to be considered BUT Robbie Slater and Lars Bohinen please NO.

Never devalue the currency.

Can someone please explain to me why Atkins is an Ewood legend?

er PL winning team, should have kept Batty out of the team at the end of the season (Batty's words).

Very under-rated, did a great job in the championship year. Vital goals.

What more do you want.

Oh yes....Tony Field!

How could I forget Roger Jones

Before you have a definitive list you surely(by definition)need a Definition.

Might I suggest 3 criteria:

- played for the Rovers a length of time

- stayed loyal to the Rovers after Retirement

or - won something special for the Rovers

So...Bob Crompton, Ronnie Clayton and Brian Douglas qualify on all 3 criteria; Alan Shearer on 2 maybe,as does Tony Parkes, Colin Hendry,Simon Garner,Mark Atkins and a few others mentioned.

I think you have to meet at least 2 of these to be considered BUT Robbie Slater and Lars Bohinen please NO.

Never devalue the currency.

So that rules out anybody who played when we were sh1t and had to sell our best players.

er PL winning team, should have kept Batty out of the team at the end of the season (Batty's words).

Very under-rated, did a great job in the championship year. Vital goals.

What more do you want.

Well usually legends are top players. Atkins was an average full back, converted to midfield where his main attribute was his positional sense, coupled with strength and he always stood up - oh, and the odd good strike.

Scrap that, he was tosh.

Nowhere near to a legend IMO. Douglas, Clayton and Atkins. Doesn't quite sound right.

Archived