BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Movie Discussion

Everything so far about the new Star Wars looks on point, very optimistic, hope it isn't a let down.

I have high hopes for this. In fact, i am very much looking forward to it.

Never been much of a trekie but Abrams did a decent job of the 2009 film, so as a Star Wars fan, i'm hopeful he will get this one right also.

• 4 weeks later...

Watched Kajaki last night. An independent British film about an incident that happened in Afghanistan in 2006, involving British soldiers.

No jingoism, no politics and very little sentiment.

It's a very tense film and (for me) quite difficult to watch, in places.

Would definately recommend.

Checking on new cinema ticket price policies. At one of my old sites in Altrincham a bog standard ticket for Spectre will cost a whopping £10.29.

Thieving gets at VUE have already introduced 'dynamic' prices (the ticket price can be altered all the time depending on the level of footfall)

Unbelievable.

Edited by adopted scouser

• Moderation Lead

It's outrageously expensive to go to the cinema these days, there's that thing where you get a third off tickets on a Tuesday, but it's a bit rubbish they got rid of orange Wednesdays :-(

Edited by K-Hod

Checking on new cinema ticket price policies. At one of my old sites in Altrincham a bog standard ticket for Spectre will cost a whopping £10.29.

Thieving gets at VUE have already introduced 'dynamic' prices (the ticket price can be altered all the time depending on the level of footfall)

Unbelievable.

Its no wonder people just download the films online is it.

I still use lovefilm, £15 a month for 3 films or us tv series (house of cards) a week, many of them only a couple of months after their cinema release, and years before they go on sky.

Saw The Martian the other day. Really good, if a little long, but it builds to a fantastically dramatic ending. Best film I've seen for a while.

Worth reading the book first? My dad lent me the book so don't know whether to wait as I'm into Schwarzeneggers autobiography at the moment and I've had one about Jerome Caminada earmarked for ages too. Looks a good film so might just watch it.

Worth reading the book first? My dad lent me the book so don't know whether to wait as I'm into Schwarzeneggers autobiography at the moment and I've had one about Jerome Caminada earmarked for ages too. Looks a good film so might just watch it.

I've not read the book so couldn't really say.

I saw The Martian a few days ago. I can see why some think it is a bit baggy. Matt Damon clears all his initial survival hurdles with very few problems, so it might seem like not much is going on. But it is important we are all on-board with how exactly someone might be able to live on Mars, so I thought the film's length was fine really.

I didn't think much of Jeff Daniel's performance. That first press conference he gave was hilariously cold-hearted.

I did think the disco music soundtrack worked well to lighten the mood and pointing out the absurdity of Matt Damon's situation (although Guardians of the Galaxy did it better.)

Watched Whiplash last week, was good but I didn't think was exceptional.

Also watched Unbroken this weekend and thought it was excellent. Without wanting to spoil this, its a true story that really is amazing,

Spoiler Alert

As a boy, Louis "Louie" Zamperini is always in trouble, but with the help of his older brother, he turns his life around and channels his energy into running. When World War II breaks out, his plane crashes in the Pacific, he survives adrift in a raft, until his capture by the Japanese navy before being sent to a POW camp in Japan.

You could give this a go. Compare the Meerkat are doing 2 for 1 on cinema tickets for a year if you buy one of their products. The cheapest way to do it is by buying travel insurance for a day. Somebody has paid £2.03 for day's travel insurance and received 2 for 1 cinema tickets for a year. You'd get your money back on one trip to the cinema at the rate!

I re-newed my car insurance through 'compare the market' at the weekend and signed up for the 2 for 1 cinema offer, it lasts for twelve months, only downside is that it's only valid on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, still a very good offer though and most importantly they where finding the lowest price insurance deals i could find on the web so i probably would have gone through them regardless(not going to say 'cheapest' because car insurance is never cheap, the robbing barstewards) I went with Hastings.

p.s. and if you don't fancy the 2for1 one cinema deal you have the option of choosing a Meercat figure instead(if that floats your boat)

p.p.s! I think it was on watchdog a few weeks ago about people buying very cheap travel insurance so that they could receive the 2for1 offer, I think they said that they where closing that loophole though.

Edited by T J Hooker

• Backroom

I watched 'The Walk' on sunday, which is about Philippe Petit walking on a wire between the World Trace Centre towers. Philippe was portrayed brilliantly by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who I'm becoming a huge fan of.

Fantastic film and would highly recommend it.

I love Sci-Fi and have the Star Wars films on DVD but I never got all the love that Star Wars gets. I think I would probably had felt differently If I had been around when they came out, you read all the time about the cultural impact when the films came out and the buzz at the time. There wasn't really anything like it when it came out.

But that trailer sure does look good. Abrams did a good job of bringing Star Trek back to the big screen, he should do a good job with Star Wars.

• Like 1