BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Movie Discussion

Going back to Pirates of the Caribbean.

I thought it was a really good film.

A sort of Empire Strikes Back kinda film in the sense that it doesn't really end but still worth watching. Especially if you're gonna go see POTC 3.

I thought the problem with the 1st film was a weak story, but Johnny Depp stole the show.

In the 2nd film, the story is a lot better, but Johnny Depp goes missing at times, and is no longer a loveable rogue figure, in fact you start to dislike him.

Overall though 8 1/2 out of 10

july 28th ..."cars" is out cant wait !!!!

lets see if this kids film can be compared with deliverence or a war film... :(

Cars is an ok film, but I enjoyed PotC2 better, except I felt the ending was a little on the weak side.

Not seen Superman Returns yet, but I have seen a clip where he stops a plane, looked fantastic. I'll probably watch that next week when I'm in Germany along with Nacho Libre, Click and Hard Candy.

I was blown away by Superman. It was a little light on the action side but the whole package was utterly superb. Kate Bosworth-mmmmmmmmmmm.

As for the above discussion, I thought Apocalypse Now started well, however the last hour is stupidly over-wrought. Brando's acting is completely off the wall ("hrrmm...I swallowed a bug...") and the ending is rushed. Coppola was not happy with it but was bound by time and (over) budgetary restrictions.

Deliverance is a strange one. Great story, great acting but the whole things is annoyingly distant and minimalist. Even the infamous rape scene is sort of a non-event. And having seen it twice now, I still can't figure out why the guy falls out of the boat while going down the rapids. Can anyone tell me.

Edited by Rovermatt

Went to watch Superman last night and the most annoying thing wasnt the film (though I did get annoyed with that in places) it was the cinema I was in.

For starters it was like someones living room with about 30 seats in it. I was also sat right under the exit sign which lit me up like a star and also slap bang next to the in and out door.

The film started and then so did they. I kid you not every other minute this band of kids between 12 and 14 would run backwards and forwards in out of the door in pairs. Grrr I thought but then to make things worse a bloke around the middle of the room started shouting and swearing - we soon discovered that he had torrets so had to grin and bear it. Then half way through the film my attention was caught again due to some kids of about 8 or 9 who by this stage were bored out of their minds and so decided to start talking about power rangers or something and then when they got bored of that started have laser fights with their watches. I start thinking it couldnt get any worse and then guys who look after the place start running backwards and forwards up and down the aisle for some reason. Then one of these guys vanished and came back with a massive bag of crisps and sat on a little stool just behind me and it seemed instaed of eat them that he would just sit there and rustle the bag. Remeber that all the way through the film those girls had still been running backwards and forwards to the bog together.

Not a happy boy I tell thy :angry:

I don't so think but he's dead the next minute. What happened to him?

Wasn't he shot? Although for that to be the case the redneck would have to be some marksman. Its been a couple of years since I've watched it but I remmeber the scene being pretty confusing. Even more bewildering was when I found out a long while after seeing the film was that the guy in question was a young-ish Ronny Cox! :o

---

Superman? Bleh. Maybe superhero films just aren't for me. Did no one else think Mr Spacey's plot was just too stupid to be taken seriously, even in a 'free your imagination' sort of film?

Edited by Radagast

Full of holes I suppose. How come he's powerless when stood on the new 'crystal creation', yet is strong enough to pick the bloody thing up and chuck into outer space ? Does it only affect him when he's above it ?

Still enjoyed it though, better than the pirates thingy.

I think he charged up as much power from the sun as he could and gambled. He knew it would probably kill him but he was willing to make the sacrifice for the good of mankind, tying in to the overall themes of the movie.

I just saw it tonight and it was a lot of fun. Enjoyed the hell out of it to be honest. I am a big superhero fan, love the comics and love the movies...well...the good ones ;) As far as Superman goes, he's one of the lamest heros out there. Lame costume, too powerful, not flawed enough. But this movie was fun. Great action scenes, which is what you want. Great villain, played very well by Spacy. Sure the plot was silly, but I came out of the cinema feeling well entertained...and that's why you go in the first place :)

• 2 weeks later...

no, he knows what films he likes and what he doesnt. Its his opinion - I find with Kermode that if he likes a film its a very good film (unless its the Thin Red Line which is ######) if he doesnt like it - it might have something going for it.

Also Ice Age 2 is the death of cinematic narrative although still quite amusing

I agree with Kermode's opinion of The Thin Red Line-absolutely astonishing film-making. Malik is a crackpot but he's a brilliant director. However The New World was utterly bizarre.

Couldn't get my head around it at all (New World). Plus I thought I was going to drown in music at one point. Lots of good and decent actors standing around doing and saying nothing. How many lines did David Thewlis have? Five?

Saw Superman Returns the other night and, while pretty good, Shevchenko is right about Superman being a lame superhero. The lack of flaws means ever more ludicrous storylines have to be thought up to get him into danger.

I'd rather Singer had stayed on and helmed X Men 3 though...it ain't anywhere near as good as the first two.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...