BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Movie Discussion

Didn't even know about the second. There are plans to remake Hellraiser apparently. Pretty old news, but worth restating.

Mark Kermode's film review was in front of a live audience in Leeds and was quite amusing. It's on BBC Iplayer at the moment. It's worth hearing it for every time Marley and Me is mentioned.

Went to see The Damn United last night. I think it's difficult to asses a film which claims to give a true account when as the general public we can only be sure of some of the facts. It's a good film, occassionaly touching the real passion of football, it certainly paints a vivid picture of professional football in the late 60s/ mid 70s - you forget the terrrible grounds, the awful pitches and the thuggery of Leeds Unted! Martin Sheen captures, in flashes, Clough's public face which we all know. I don't think the film was unkind to him but I don't know what the family's objections to David Peace's book are. Good stuff, not brilliant but well worth seeing.

Went to see The Damn United last night. I think it's difficult to asses a film which claims to give a true account when as the general public we can only be sure of some of the facts. It's a good film, occassionaly touching the real passion of football, it certainly paints a vivid picture of professional football in the late 60s/ mid 70s - you forget the terrrible grounds, the awful pitches and the thuggery of Leeds Unted! Martin Sheen captures, in flashes, Clough's public face which we all know. I don't think the film was unkind to him but I don't know what the family's objections to David Peace's book are. Good stuff, not brilliant but well worth seeing.

I've not seen the film yet but have read the book. The book is very dark and it's understandable that the family do not approve. I understand from reviews that the film is much lighter and kinder to Clough. In any event it's important to remember that both the book and the film are fiction, although based on real events - neither is claiming to give a true account.

That's interesting I had assumed the book and the film purported to be true accounts. We went because we fancied a film and it had good reviews rather than because we knew much about either the book or the film. My wife said she had read the book was much darker. Out of interest did the TV interview featuring both Clough and Revie ever take place in the real world?

You'd never heard of Michael Sheen? Frost/Nixon?

Yes but now you say it I think I did know he'd done the Frost / Nixon film - though I couldn't have told you that. First time I'd seen him was on the One Show last week. I'm really awful with actors, celebrities etc. I might have heard of them but wouldn't recognise them at all. I'm famous in our house for watching a film and asking "is that so and so" at which point things get thrown at me! If you put ten images of famous actors in front of me I'd probably get 9 wrong.

He does an absolutely superb take-off of Tony Blair in "The Queen". he's an excellent imitator of tics and wotnot.

Saw "Quantum of Solace" on DVD this week. With a second viewing teh film's grown on me a bit. Still think it goes too far down teh Bourne route. And one thing I don't understand. Near the beginning Mitchell escapes, so Bond chases him. Why does he bother to chase Mitchell when he should've hung onto mr White, surely he'd be of more value?

That's interesting I had assumed the book and the film purported to be true accounts. We went because we fancied a film and it had good reviews rather than because we knew much about either the book or the film. My wife said she had read the book was much darker. Out of interest did the TV interview featuring both Clough and Revie ever take place in the real world?

Yep, that interview happened Paul. Think John Helm (? Yorkshire TV's Sports presenter) presided. There was a documentary on ITV earlier this week - you might find it kicking around on one of the 'watch again' facilities, I think ITV have one these days - where part of the interview was shown. Incidentally, Michael Sheen also portrayed Kenneth Williams excellently in a 'documentary' before he did the Tony Blair thing.

Yep, that interview happened Paul. Think John Helm (? Yorkshire TV's Sports presenter) presided. There was a documentary on ITV earlier this week - you might find it kicking around on one of the 'watch again' facilities, I think ITV have one these days - where part of the interview was shown. Incidentally, Michael Sheen also portrayed Kenneth Williams excellently in a 'documentary' before he did the Tony Blair thing.

I think it was Austin Mitchell, then Yorkshire TV presenter, now maverick MP for Grimsby.

• 1 month later...