BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Pune trip

only2garners

Now that the official press release has come out regarding the trip to Pune I thought I would create a dedicated thread and start it off by giving some explanation as to how it came about.

Simon Williams went out to India in August and in discussions about fans the owners asked for a group of fans to come out to Pune when the team makes it's rearranged visit during the international break weekend. Simon talked about the Fans Forum and it was agreed the group should be of Forum members. As secretary of the Forum I was told of the request on 25th August. I told the rest of the Forum on the following day and we arranged a meeting on Monday 5th September to select who should go. Of the Forum membership some members did not want to go and others couldn't, so 13 put their names forward. We elected 9 by a democratic and secret ballot. The club have had no say whatsoever in the selection of the 9. We were asked to keep the trip confidential until we had selected who should go and until proper arrangements for the trip had been put in place. My understanding was that it was planned to make this public this week but this morning's leak to the Mirror made sure it was today.

Given that I'm quoted in the press release anyway I am happy to out myself as one of the 9. I will leave it up to the others whether they wish to make themselves public or not. Most but not all of them are regular posters on this site.

The trip is meant to let us meet the owners and see what they are doing out in Pune and to start to build an improved relationship between them and us and with all Rovers fans.

Some important things to bear in mind. Given the timing, this trip was set up well before the Arsenal game and well before the protest march so it is not in any way a reaction to the recent media publicity.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering on one of the other threads I hoped that we'd be represented by reasonable individuals and not just sabre rattlers, this seems to be the case.

And some on here believed the Venky's would close the Fans Forum...

Hope you enjoy the trip, but more importantly, that it's beneficial for both fans and the owners.

I have been incredibly impressed with Venkys and Kean this week with regards communication- a MAJOR issue that has stemmed from day really.

We now have had:

1. Kean giving a 35 minute interview to Kamy with all questions asked.

2. The owners paying for 9 fans to visit Pune and interact with them.

3. Kean himself saying that he is willing to meet Glen and answer his questions.

I cannot think of a single club in the PL that would go to these lengths to communicate with the fans, a massive plus 1 to Kean and plus 10 to Venkys.

Hope to read some detailed feedback from fans... right two have come out of the closet, seven need to appear, it would hilarious to see Vinjay on the plane to Pune lol!

I think its a wonderful gesture from the owners to take 9 fans to Pune as part of the trip which will see the team play over there. It will give them an opportunity to have good contact with the players, Management and owners.

I was aware of this last week but was sworn to secrecy, so can confirm with Forum secretary it was set up before any talks of march's ect.

This has obviously been reward for their efforts on the forum, although not to sound rude, as I stated in another thread last week I'm not sure what the forum's role is, as they are not representative of the fans, due to not being voted in by the fans if that makes sense. Glenn Pegden did answer quite a few questions I posted last week about the role of the forum,

I only became aware of it after joining BRFCS, and after talking with others who are not BRFCS members they didnt really know what it is? or what they do? This is something which needs to be addressed, for it to be a credible representation of the fans IMO.

The owners know what type of representation they want out in India and the motives and reasons for this. It would be unfair for me to speculate, either the opinion the Forum Members have or the motives of the owners other than it being a nice gesture.

It would of been nice if this had not been hand picked from just the fans forum which is certainly no reflection on the forum as i'm sure whatever they do in their meetings ect, it takes lots of their spare time and shows good dedication.

If they had thrown the net out to the average Joe supporter who has no insight into what goes on in the club, i.e never met members of the board or people in the admin at the club, Then I think the feedback may have been more useful, and more honest, as individuals within the forum would have to be careful when giving their honest opinion as feedback to ensure it did not jeopardise their place on the fans forum.

Good luck to all who are going, and will look forward to hearing about it on your return

I have been incredibly impressed with Venkys and Kean this week with regards communication- a MAJOR issue that has stemmed from day really.

We now have had:

1. Kean giving a 35 minute interview to Kamy with all questions asked.

2. The owners paying for 9 fans to visit Pune and interact with them.

3. Kean himself saying that he is willing to meet Glen and answer his questions.

I cannot think of a single club in the PL that would go to these lengths to communicate with the fans, a massive plus 1 to Kean and plus 10 to Venkys.

Hope to read some detailed feedback from fans... right two have come out of the closet, seven need to appear, it would hilarious to see Vinjay on the plane to Pune lol!

Just to clarify Imy, I won't be interacting with anybody :blink::lol:

Are you all going to wear the "Pune Army" t-shirts. It would look like the funniest stag do dress- up in the world as you go through terminal 2.

Can someone take a photo of mrs D's Face when she sees you all wearing them!

This has obviously been reward for their efforts on the forum, although not to sound rude, as I stated in another thread last week I'm not sure what the forum's role is, as they are not representative of the fans, due to not being voted in by the fans if that makes sense. Glenn Pegden did answer quite a few questions I posted last week about the role of the forum,

I only became aware of it after joining BRFCS, and after talking with others who are not BRFCS members they didnt really know what it is? or what they do? This is something which needs to be addressed, for it to be a credible representation of the fans IMO.

Glen, this link from the official site gives information regarding the workings of the forum, it also provides links to Forum minutes going back to 2007. Forum membership is open to anybody and everybody who is a season ticket holder at the club. For practical reasons numbers are limited to circa 20 at any one time, but there is a reasonable rate of membership turnover. Hope this helps.

To start to answer Glen's points about the Forum. I have been on it since 2007 as secretary but it's been around for 12/13 years. I can't answer for how fans were selected initially but since I have been there we have developed a process to accept new fans on when we have places. We have made an effort to make sure that as wide a range of fans sits on the Forum as we can manage. It is by no means perfect (we could do with more than the current 2 women for example), but there is a decent cross section on there.

Communication is always difficult. At uncertain times like this there is somewhat more interest than in the calmer times. Frankly no one was very interested in what we did a few years ago when there was success on the pitch and a very competent management team in place. We have had to advertise a few times for new members. I think there is a case for more publicity ofr the Forum but I suspect that this trip will give it all it needs for a while anyway now.

You might ask why we don't have a more open election process for new members but I would ask you to think about how that would work. Who gets a vote? Season ticket holders only? Those with more than 5 years as a season ticket holder? Anyone who can name the 1960 cup final squad? Why can't I vote if I can't afford a season ticket? Everyone on the database, including Man Utd fans who have got on there so that they can buy one ticket a year? If you could manage to work out an electorate would it be a postal ballot or a big meeting? Who would pay for all this? As I say we have more often than not in a situation where we had enough people for an election anyway. I suspect that now people might think there is a chance of a freebie that more might come forward, but would you want that sort of person on there anyway?

Glen, this link from the official site gives information regarding the workings of the forum, it also provides links to Forum minutes going back to 2007. Forum membership is open to anybody and everybody who is a season ticket holder at the club. For practical reasons numbers are limited to circa 20 at any one time, but there is a reasonable rate of membership turnover. Hope this helps.

Thank You Ewood Spark, first time I have seen this, will have a good read of minutes tomorrow to get a greater insight.

It would of been nice if this had not been hand picked from just the fans forum which is certainly no reflection on the forum as i'm sure whatever they do in their meetings ect, it takes lots of their spare time and shows good dedication.

If they had thrown the net out to the average Joe supporter who has no insight into what goes on in the club, i.e never met members of the board or people in the admin at the club, Then I think the feedback may have been more useful, and more honest, as individuals within the forum would have to be careful when giving their honest opinion as feedback to ensure it did not jeopardise their place on the fans forum.

To be fair Glen, any ST holder can apply to become a Forum member. It is made up average supporters - there's no other qualifying criteria ;)

Can't think of anyone more deserving of such a trip. A just reward for the efforts you and others put into running this site.

seconded.

Kamy rightly gets a lot of credit but Stu. B, Wen and Glenn have done a lot for BRFC, happy to see you rewarded in a small way Glenn.

Can't think of anyone more deserving of such a trip. A just reward for the efforts you and others put into running this site.

Thank You, but for many many years running the site has been a group effort. I'm just the one stupid/attention-seeking enough to raise my head above the parapet fairly often and I wasn't invite for my involvement with BRFCS (in fact, that almost worked against me at one stage) but the fact I've been on the Fans Forum for a good few years now.

This sounds great! A unique chance for the owners to build a close relationship with the fans, really nice gesture! :tu:

Good luck to the ones who are going to India and maybe you can share views, stories and maybe some pics from the trip when you come back! :)

Will that drummer make a triumphant return and lead you out of the airport?

It will be interesting to hear what the trip entails. Will it show any community projects Venky's, VH Group etc. do over there? Will you meet the bigwigs involved in the club and discuss the vision they have for the club?

have to say, this could be great PR and bring the fans and the owners closer. I can't imagine say, Man Citeh or Man Utd arranging this sort of thing.

Archived