BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Pune trip

only2garners

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a great initiative and a dialogue with fans is something we've all been urging for months. We need to know that some unfiltered views about what's been happening get through to the family.

So lads(and lasses?) don't go troppo on us. Ask the hard questions and tell it like it is.

An excellent gesture from venkeys, both them and the 9 going should get plenty out of the trip, the football club being the main benefactors.

Be interesting to hear from you guys on your return, at least communication wise things are looking up from venkeys.

Oh and on your arrival to Pune, don't forget to put your toilet rolls in the fridge! :lol::P

This is an interesting initiative and as I know / have met four of those who have "outed" themselves I feel supporters view will be well represented to our owners.

Two questions come to mind. I was on the FF for a short period, and as has often been mentioned on here, I know discussion is strictly limited to off-field matters. Secondly John Williams and Tom Finn were always adamant the key criteria was to deliver success on the pitch as this is the single most effective method of driving the club forward. We knew every penny generated by Rovers was ultimately directed towards the squad. Add to this the Fans Forum has existed through a period of real success for Rovers, with a relegation and couple of dodgy seasons thrown in, but even in those difficult seasons confidence remained in the board and management of the club because there was clear direction and clarity so while perhaps a big concern on occasions the footballing side of the club was never a major issue.

Setting aside all the issues which surround Venky's purchase of Rovers, some of which I am certain are true and some simply unfounded rumour, my question to the Pune 9 is simply this - will you be allowed to discuss the football side of the club, i.e. on field matters? I'm not suggesting you should have "Kean Out" on the agenda but to what extent will it be possible to discuss the depth of feeling and the very real fear many of us have that the club could be relegated this season?

My second question, one I feel is very important to help any fan understand where and why the club is heading in any particular direction, relates to the accounts. For years fans have been able to access the published accounts. Reading and appreciating this information is a real help to understanding why the club management took decisions on many key issues. Will BRFC accounts continue to be published and placed in the public domain or is the structure of the company such that these will be effectively buried in a mess of corporate accounting?

Good luck

been there worked there(Pune, Nashik, Mumbia) got the t shirt, if any body wants any info/tips just pm me

How about the traffic Enjoyed?? its hell there on the road

Having never been to that part of the world personally I expect a bit of a culture shock

specially the amount of people you see in the streets you feel lost

What is the draw of Pune that they think everyone wants to go there?

I envisage things like this.

http://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/pub-en-e6dc2d91fd12182ffcfa63e7ec97f2c9.html

Maybe I need to get out more :lol:

That was the culture in India even before the Europe was born

I'll get the "free the Pune 9" t-shirts printed....well, you never know!

Yeah, they forgot to tell you it is a one way trip and they are short of workers for the chicken shed.

I think it is a good idea from the owners. Though why the need to go to India is baffling. They could have got you all together during one of their trips over to the UK.

But good idea all the same.

Yeah defo a great gesture,and as others have said,very difficult to pick who goes,just wondering what the other die hards who go out there think of 9 getting a free trip,when it's going to cost others big bucks,I am talking the likes of Pittard who by the way has not missed a first team match home and away since 1974,Aldershot away, bus broke down,and that incudes all pre season matches inc Washington Hong kong and all Europe etc,but you all do a good job at the forum and deserve it,enjoy the trip.Talking to Steve Patrick who went recently to prepare the pitch in Pune,said it was an unbelievable experience saying the Venkys are treated like royalty wih the locals,prepare yourselves for the red dot on your foreheads,and yes they do like a good drink.....

Thats gesture to welcome guest you may have seen England cricket team have got that .

And also prepare for the scorching sun. I guess little over 38 degree Celsius .

We depart from Manchester on Tuesday evening (4th Oct) on a shuttle to Heathrow. We then get the scheduled flight to Mumbai. From Mumbai it is a four hour road trip to Pune. We arrive back home the following Monday morning.

We are not sure yet what the format of any meeting with the owners will be ... but rest assured all those going have the best interests of the club at heart.

4 hour road trip in India :blink: Hope you have strong nerves...

I have had enough foreign travel to fill a couple of lifetimes and frankly I'm at the stage where it's a pain. I only say this to emphasise that I am in no way jealous of the trip and most definitely wouldn't have accepted the offer even if asked. Yet I have to ask why Venkys and the forum feel this to be a good idea.

They now have a property over Bolton way, why not meet there? Being local even more fans could get to hear what they have to say. Alternatively, if getting the fans onside is the prime directive why not hire a meeting room/hall in Blackburn and throw attendance open to an even wider audience. Maybe the odd open day at Brockhall/Ewood.

How is a 'fan' to be defined? I've never met any of the fans forum guys so in what way do they represent me and in what way will they be able to influence other 'fans' opinion when they get back. They will only be able to relate the messages given to them and these could just as easily be broadcast by a dozen other methods.

This isn't a judgemental piece by any means, I hope the trip goes well and that the 9 find it valuable and a good use of their time, but in terms of it's impact on my opinions about the Venkys it will do nothing to bring me around (in this context please read 'me' as a placeholder for a much large number of disenchanted 'fans').

There has to be a better way than this. How can the average joe on the terraces look at this in any other way than as a jolly and hush money - and this is definitely not an accusation or an insinuation or or any slight on the guys going, it's a genuine question as to how it's going to be perceived by those not in the inside circle of the fans forum.

Venkys have behaved in a way that most supporters feel is out of character with what we have always stood for as a club, and that hurts us. We all know what could and should be done to address and fix these issues, it's not rocket science. One major thing is of course communication and a bit of active listening to the genuine concerns of other well meaning individuals wouldn't go amiss. There are a lot of fans and they can't all go to Pune. Who talks for me? I haven't voted for anyone. Who speaks for Philipl and GlenM and the other more vocal and active supporters? Flying 9 guys to India in business class and putting them up in some 5 star hotel free of charge can only drive further divisions between the various factions of the supporter base.

As I say this is not a go at any of the 9. I support your efforts to build links and to convey some of the messages from here to there and wish you all the best on the trip, your motives are honest and well meaning I'm totally sure of that. Yet as a notion it's ill conceived and sub optimal in my estimation. Window dressing at best and not likely to amount to a hill of beans if results go against us over the next few weeks.

We're local, they're now local, therefore these efforts should be local and more people should be included. Only my opinion and again good luck guys, I really do wish you well.

What I dont understand here is why the owners have to fly everyone out. Do they not realise the majority of us have a 9-5 job and with it being in the latter parts of the year that most will not have any days left to book the time off work? Meaning that unpaid leave might be their only option to travel and thus loosing part of a much needed salary. To me this seems like the fans going are going to try to be "bought" in a way i.e first class or prob business class flights and tret like celebs when they arrive over there. It just seems daft that they cant make an effort to come and see the fans not fly the fans to them. Thats just my view and I live in the real world where I dont have millions in the bank

You have some valid points TJ, which hopefully will be discussed. Even so, whatever communications are planned with the fans at Ewood, only limited numbers would be able to attend - you can't have a discussion with several thousand fans at once for example. Therefore there are always those who will be disappointed and might feel they should be included. The Fans Forum are people known to Management and therefore the obvious first choice to look at for such a trip.

Mr Roversmum is a member of the Fans Forum, and he is included on the trip, together with myself. However, we are not part of the nine. It came about as we met Balaji in Hong Kong at the Asia Trophy and had some discussion with him. He issued an invitation to us. He is very passionate about Rovers and the way forward.

4 hour road trip in India :blink: Hope you have strong nerves...

If I've read this right, they'll be nine people on the back of a bike for a 4 hour road trip?!

Good move all round. Again though surely it would be better to have this at Ewood? The club should be run from Blackburn, specifically Ewood, and one of the questions I would have is around that structure in the long term. Quick decisions need making on occasions, are those made in Pune or Blackburn? I would suspect the former at the moment.

Anyway, I digress, I know one or two who are going after reading the thread and they are great choices, they will do us proud. Good luck.

What I dont understand here is why the owners have to fly everyone out. Do they not realise the majority of us have a 9-5 job and with it being in the latter parts of the year that most will not have any days left to book the time off work? Meaning that unpaid leave might be their only option to travel and thus loosing part of a much needed salary. To me this seems like the fans going are going to try to be "bought" in a way i.e first class or prob business class flights and tret like celebs when they arrive over there. It just seems daft that they cant make an effort to come and see the fans not fly the fans to them. Thats just my view and I live in the real world where I dont have millions in the bank

You have to remember that the hub of their core business is in Pune, despite having outlets in different parts of the world. It will take some doing for them to focus on Blackburn as a hub for Rovers. They have already purchased a property in the area and established strong links at Ewood, they are getting there.

Was talking to some Chelsea fans in Hong Kong, they would love to have closer contact with their owners/management team and were quite amazed that people from the Rovers were actually acknowledging fans.

You have to remember that the hub of their core business is in Pune, despite having outlets in different parts of the world. It will take some doing for them to focus on Blackburn as a hub for Rovers. They have already purchased a property in the area and established strong links at Ewood, they are getting there.

Was talking to some Chelsea fans in Hong Kong, they would love to have closer contact with their owners/management team and were quite amazed that people from the Rovers were actually acknowledging fans.

Difference is with Chelsea is that the club is very much run in England, same with City and most other clubs.

Are Venky's going to get the right people in to do the same for Rovers? Micro maanging from Pune is no way to run a PL club.

Very good move by Venkys. People from the fans forum is the obvious choice. It may also serve to increase the FF profile and maybe have more active members, who then vote for 20 or so council members every season. Very interested to hear the results.

Personally I doubt I would ever go back to India again even if offer a trip like this - I got way too ill when I went with work to want to go back. It will be an experience guys! Not sure if Pune is as mad as Delhi was but it will definatly be a shock - never been anywhere like it and i've travelled a lot.

Its over the weekend Ralf. It's also the weekend the first team are flying over there I think so it's just a case of adding a couple more onto their existing booking.

Ahh right, I thought I had read somewhere that they go on a Tuesday and back the following Monday. Anyway I think its great they are willing to meet fans, maybe they should also hire out the old Audi car garage at Eanam Wharf (now an Indian) and invite a load more for a Q&A from a bigger audience on our patch

Ahh right, I thought I had read somewhere that they go on a Tuesday and back the following Monday. Anyway I think its great they are willing to meet fans, maybe they should also hire out the old Audi car garage at Eanam Wharf (now an Indian) and invite a load more for a Q&A from a bigger audience on our patch

You're right. We are going out on Tuesday night and back Monday morning so 8 of us (I'm retired) are taking 3.5 days off work to go.

Of the fans who wanted to go only one had a problem getting time off work which meant he couldn't put his name forward. That doesn't mean that it's easy for the others but I think it's more about managing their workload before and after rather than having to take unpaid leave.

Archived