BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Getting to Blackburn

Miker

Hey guys,

So I'll be heading off to Italy next week for a month and although I have a busy schedule while there, I was considering flying over to England one of the weekends to see Rovers at Ewood for the first time.

After checking flight prices from Rome to Manchester, I see it's actually incredibly cheap ($200-250AUD), so I think I will most definitely fly over.

I was wondering if people could give me some tips and suggestions of where to stay, where to visit (other than Ewood of course!) etc. Unfortunately, I think the only home game there'll be while I'm in Europe is Swansea, which is a bit disappointing. I am leaving just a day before the Bolton game, and would've loved to be there for a local derby!!

Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Hey guys,

So I'll be heading off to Italy next week for a month and although I have a busy schedule while there, I was considering flying over to England one of the weekends to see Rovers at Ewood for the first time.

After checking flight prices from Rome to Manchester, I see it's actually incredibly cheap ($200-250AUD), so I think I will most definitely fly over.

I was wondering if people could give me some tips and suggestions of where to stay, where to visit (other than Ewood of course!) etc. Unfortunately, I think the only home game there'll be while I'm in Europe is Swansea, which is a bit disappointing. I am leaving just a day before the Bolton game, and would've loved to be there for a local derby!!

Any suggestions are appreciated!!

I can't tell off your profile where you are from so don't know how often you have been to the UK. However if you are over for a few days I would stop in manchester as there is far, far more to do than Blackburn regardless of what you are in to - movies, museums, theaters, pubs music etc..

On the matchday you will be able to get the train from Manchester Victoria to Blackburn. Takes about 45 minutes.

I can't tell off your profile where you are from so don't know how often you have been to the UK. However if you are over for a few days I would stop in manchester as there is far, far more to do than Blackburn regardless of what you are in to - movies, museums, theaters, pubs music etc..

On the matchday you will be able to get the train from Manchester Victoria to Blackburn. Takes about 45 minutes.

I'm from Melbourne, Australia. First time in the UK :)

Thanks for the heads up about the train... that's one thing I forgot to ask about!

I can't tell off your profile where you are from so don't know how often you have been to the UK. However if you are over for a few days I would stop in manchester as there is far, far more to do than Blackburn regardless of what you are in to - movies, museums, theaters, pubs music strip clubs

Edited it for you, lets be honest

Thats exactly what I would have put as well. If there is more than one of you though, get a duo return ticket from Manchester Victoria (saves you about a tenner) and on you way back if you get off at Salford Cetral you are at the bottom of Deansgate, from there you can enjoy lots of fancy bars, etc etc

Hi Miker, I thought I'd chip in with some thoughts since I've done the trip twice in recent years, once from Manchester and once from London. If time is of no issue, I would definitely suggest that you stay in Manchester. Blackburn is an easy train ride away (about 1 hour), though you'll have to cater some extra time to catch the bus to the stadium (no more than a 10min ride).

Manchester is no London, but you'll have enough to occupy yourself with for one weekend. I think you can plan for a three night stay - includes arrival day, one day for the game and one for the day after - and move on after that. The city centre was quite compact - a couple of malls, and an excellent Italian restaurant (named Stock, but not sure if it's still there).

In case you're considering London, just to share that it is also entirely possible to go to the game as a day trip from London. But I would not recommend it because it is a tiring 12 hour round trip. The train ride alone is over 3 hours each way, and would include at least one change (most probably in Manchester). It would be worth it if we win, but with the way things are going, I would not bet on it. You will also almost certainly need to make a mad dash from Ewood to the train station to catch the train back to London if you want to get back by 9pm, so give yourself the luxury of time if you can by staying in Manchester.

Also, since you mentioned that it's your first visit to the UK, I'll just round off with one suggestion, though I'm not sure if it's your kind of thing. You may want to consider incorporating a couple of nights in the Lake District with your visit to Ewood. It is slightly over an hour out of Manchester, so it's not all that far away. The scenary is stunning and there is plenty to see. But it's a lot of nature (and sheep!), so be warned if it's not what you're looking for. A two night stay would be well worth it and you can easily do it either side of your stopover in Manchester. I think that it will be a very nice change from the Roman architecture, ruins and overdose of renaissance art you're bound to get in Italy!

In any case, I'm sure you'll have a great trip! Happy planning!

Also, since you mentioned that it's your first visit to the UK, I'll just round off with one suggestion, though I'm not sure if it's your kind of thing. You may want to consider incorporating a couple of nights in the Lake District with your visit to Ewood. It is slightly over an hour out of Manchester, so it's not all that far away. The scenary is stunning and there is plenty to see. But it's a lot of nature (and sheep!), so be warned if it's not what you're looking for. A two night stay would be well worth it and you can easily do it either side of your stopover in Manchester. I think that it will be a very nice change from the Roman architecture, ruins and overdose of renaissance art you're bound to get in Italy!

In any case, I'm sure you'll have a great trip! Happy planning!

Surely he's not flying there from Manc? Takes me an hour and half driving from Blackburn and Im further North

Surely he's not flying there from Manc? Takes me an hour and half driving from Blackburn and Im further North

Hmmmm, perhaps the locals can verify that. I don't remember the train to Windermere from Manchester taking that long though... not sure about driving.

For booking train tickets, www.thetrainline.com

No no noooo!

The Trainline charges a booking fee and a credit or debit card fee for every ticket.

You can buy exactly the same tickets without either of those surcharges at any of the Train Operators own websites all listed here.

Most of those sites even use exactly the same software as The Trainline.

Their advertising is a disgrace and the ASA should have pulled it by now because complaints have been made.

The fact is that you can buy any ticket offered by The Trainline - be it advanced, off-peak or normal fare - cheaper ... either by walking up to any staffed station ticket office, or on one of the Operators own sites - because they do not charge any booking, credit or debit card fees.

As a fellow Melbournian I would recommend staying in Manchester as well. The city is ok. Good for nightlife and a few beers but from a tourism perspective it’s nothing great.

As mentioned, take the train from Manchester Victoria station towards Clitheroe and get off at Mill Hill - Pay at the station (Around 7 quid return)

It’s around a 10 minute walk to Ewood from Mill Hill. Stop off at the Fox & Hound for a beer before the game as it’s a good rovers pub.

When I went the first time for a look during a weekday the stadium was open so you may as well take a punt and walk around!

Soak up the moment whilst you are there – you miss it once you are away

I'd be suprised if one of our Manc based supporters didn't offer a lift in their car. C'mon guys.

Forget the Lakes, it's OK but well overrated. Manchesters lively but if you do want to stay in Blackburn and enjoy good food and excellent beer in a country pub / small hotel atmosphere then I'd suggest the Millstones at Mellor about 5 miles from Ewood Park on the Preston road (a night out there's OK) and about £7 in a taxi. Just don't for heavens sake opt for a night out in Blackburn!!!

I'd be suprised if one of our Manc based supporters didn't offer a lift in their car. C'mon guys.

Forget the Lakes, it's OK but well overrated. Manchesters lively but if you do want to stay in Blackburn and enjoy good food and excellent beer in a country pub / small hotel atmosphere then I'd suggest the Millstones at Mellor about 5 miles from Ewood Park on the Preston road (a night out there's OK) and about £7 in a taxi. Just don't for heavens sake opt for a night out in Blackburn!!!

Hmmmm, perhaps the locals can verify that. I don't remember the train to Windermere from Manchester taking that long though... not sure about driving.

Approx 80 miles from central Manchester to Windermere so 75-90 minutes drive. By train it's around 1.75 - 2 hours with eithe one or two changes depending on the route chosen.

As a fellow Melbournian I would recommend staying in Manchester as well. The city is ok. Good for nightlife and a few beers but from a tourism perspective it’s nothing great.

As mentioned, take the train from Manchester Victoria station towards Clitheroe and get off at Mill Hill - Pay at the station (Around 7 quid return)

It’s around a 10 minute walk to Ewood from Mill Hill. Stop off at the Fox & Hound for a beer before the game as it’s a good rovers pub.

When I went the first time for a look during a weekday the stadium was open so you may as well take a punt and walk around!

Soak up the moment whilst you are there – you miss it once you are away

The train from Manchester Victoria doesnt go through Mill Hill!!

You get the Clitheroe train but the stops you need are with Darwen or Blackburn. Then bus/taxi/walk(via pubs of course)

The train from Manchester Victoria doesnt go through Mill Hill!!

You get the Clitheroe train but the stops you need are with Darwen or Blackburn. Then bus/taxi/walk(via pubs of course)

You could always change at Preston and get the Colne train to Mill Hill?

The Manchester Christmas markets will be on at that time (my favourite time of year to be working in Manchester!) you should visit them for a hot mulled wine and some tasty food.

Don't get too excited by the idea though. The markets are highly commercial, mainly selling tat and nothing like the continental ones it's modelled on. Some of the food is good as is the mulled wine. Usually a nice atmosphere around the main square - cant recall the name right now.

Don't get too excited by the idea though. The markets are highly commercial, mainly selling tat and nothing like the continental ones it's modelled on. Some of the food is good as is the mulled wine. Usually a nice atmosphere around the main square - cant recall the name right now.

We went last year in the snow and had a lovely walk round. It's more xmas themed in manchester than the xmas market in Brugge which I sampled the week before Manchester and left feeling disappointed!

Archived