BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Gary Speed

RovertheHill

A very very sad day for football. Not often you see a player who has resect from ALL fans around the country.

My thoughts are with his friends (Robbie Savage interview on bbc nearly brought me to tears) and its horrible to see a fellow human being so upset. But more importantly my thoughts are with his family. I couldnt even begin to imagine the pain they are going through.

All i can say is i am so grateful to have had the opertunity to watch him play.

A true gentleman. a football LEGEND.

RIP GARY SPEED

Stood in the kitchen at work listening to Talksport when the tone of the voice of the presenter changed as he said we now go over to our news desk for some breaking news, and when his tone of voice changed you knew it was tragic but never would i have thought that it would be a bloke who seemed content in life (just look back to yesterdays football focus and the quotes since) would have taken his own life.

Asking for help sometimes is the lowest of the low for some unfortunately and it would appear this as been the case now. Stan Collymore as tweeted his latest cry for help in my opinion and i would encourage everyone to read it regardless of your feelings about him as he posted this before this tragic loss of Gary Speed and if only Gary had the chance to read it he might have seeked help.

Mental illness affects people in different ways and people are subjucted to different treatment amongst peers because of a lack of understanding. I work in mental health nursing as a support worker and believe me events like this shows even i have a lack of understanding of this illness despite attending various courses. Hopefully the loss of Gary Speed will help others to come out and seek help. RIP Gary Speed!!!

• Like 3

Seedstral: In 2009, Robert Enke, a goalkeeper for a German club killed himself and last week, a match in the Bundesliga was cancelled because the referee attempted to kill himself but he survived http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/soccer/wires/11/25/2080.ap.soc.bundesliga.referee.2nd.ld.writethru.0384/index.html So really, these are 3 recent events. I hope those who suffer will reach out for help.

Edited by Audax

Guest Rovers4Good

An absolute legend in every sense of the word. He will be sadly missed by everyone who knew him and also for those who wayched him play football, he always gave 100% and was a great talent to boot R.I.P Speedo you'll be sadly missed.

• Backroom

I think it's a credit to everyone that nobody is trying to speculate here, can we just make sure we keep it that way though.

I hate to see twitter and other forums full of theories etc it's just not needed why can't people just have some respect and think about the mans family.

• Like 1

I think it's a credit to everyone that nobody is trying to speculate here, can we just make sure we keep it that way though.

I hate to see twitter and other forums full of theories etc it's just not needed why can't people just have some respect and think about the mans family.

because it barely makes sense. we find it hard to believe in the office.

because it barely makes sense. we find it hard to believe in the office.

I think that just highlights the complete lack of understanding towards mental health issues in this country.

To say he shouldn't be affected it by because he had a successful career is like saying someone with a successful career shouldn't get cancer. It's a disease and hit anybody.

Edit: Not a dig at you there Chris, there is so little attention paid to it that people can be forgiven for a lack of understanding.

What really makes it even more difficult is that he apparently showed no signs that he was suffering from it. I was incredibly difficult watching the Football Focus clip of him online, listening to him talking about the future and laughing and joking, knowing it was only hours before what tragically happened.

Edited by LeChuck
  • Like 3

I think that just highlights the complete lack of understanding towards mental health issues in this country.

To say he shouldn't be affected it by because he had a successful career is like saying someone with a successful career shouldn't get cancer. It's a disease and hit anybody.

Edit: Not a dig at you there Chris, there is so little attention paid to it that people can be forgiven for a lack of understanding.

What really makes it even more difficult is that he apparently showed no signs that he was suffering from it. I was incredibly difficult watching the Football Focus clip of him online, listening to him talking about the future and laughing and joking, knowing it was only hours before what tragically happened.

that's not it, it's hard to imagine when someone is depressed to that level, nobody is aware, not his close friends we clueless, I'm not sure about family.

It came so out of the blue. the fact he is healthy and has everything is something to live for.

His life didn;t have to end, it is hard to believe. He looked fit, active and healthy.

I know mental health can be a demon but to be depressed to that level you think someone would have noticed and helped earlier.

Edited by chris

So I have been reliably informed, people who have made the decision to commit suicide experience happiness because they know they'll soon be released from this life. They don't want to carry on living and are happy that it will soon be over.

Which would explain why he would've seemed chirpy and talkative during football focus.

I think it's more a brain chemistry problem than anything to do with a person's quality of life. They are not thinking clearly and their focus is on ending their life, and their thoughts are unable to extend to the feelings of those they leave behind.

That's why people saying "get a grip", "pull yourself out of it" and all that nonsense are misguided and unhelpful. Depression really does scare me, because it appears the person afflicted is not consciously in control, it's as if something else has taken charge and wants to kill you. And as we've seen, it can affect anyone.

Awful.

sad new indeed. As a mental health worker, I know that people will do anything to try to hide a mental health illness. It will only be when we as a society state that its ok to talk about it and to accept it. The number of times that I have heard people say aweful names to people suffering from mental health issuies is too many to count.nn Also it can be a hard illness to point, people can live normal lives on the outside, but there innner lives is something else.

Lancashire have cut back there mental health service by up to 65%, most of my clinets have ben told that there will have to cope on thier own. NO wonder that sometimems people see no way out. RIP Mr Speed

Edited by des

• Moderation Lead

I really want to send a card with messages of condolence to the family, though Gary never played for Rovers I've found myself genuinely upset by the news.

Such a well-liked guy, and the model pro, a massive shame he had to meet such a tragic end. R.I.P

Edited by K-Hod

To be fair, we don't know if Gary had a mental health issue, if he was depressed or whatever.

A lot of people are assuming that he suffered from depression, though he may have killed himself for a number of reasons.

As per Tom's post, I've heard a number of rumours/theories as to the reason Gary chose to commit suicide, though I agree that it would be in bad taste to discuss these - particularly so shortly after his death.

Why doesn't it make sense?

Mental illness has affected those with power, glory, wealth- say Winston Churchill to your man struggling to pay his bills in a bedsit.

It doesn't discriminate.

I think Chris's point is that no one saw this coming and there were no outward clues. For a guy who has been in the spotlight for over 20 years in the most popular sport in the country, you'd expect someone somewhere to have an inkling.

Many people feel very close to this, myself included, and Speed never played for any of my clubs or my country. It's natural to seek understanding and closure to help with the grieving process.

• Like 2

Tell you what there is a lot of bulls*** that surrounds football, but this last day or so has really brought home why we love the game. From fans, to players, to managers, some of the tributes and memories I have read have brought a lump to my throat.

He really was one of the few people in football I really admired.

God Speed, Gary.

Still cant get my head around this, I remember when Rovers were in there pomp, Gary Speed was a player i always hoped we'd sign.

On another note, Why is it people only care about soldiers when a famous person dies? the amount of ignorance i've seen comparing the deaths of service men and Gary Speed is just beyond believe.