BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premiership or championship football?

The top division is where every club wants to play and after a few failed play off attempts in the late 80s early 90s uncle jack had enough and the rest is history.

I have personally loved every minute (recent Venkean issues aside) but last night we were pondering the scenario of staying up keeping premiership football and hence limping on with Kean/Venkys or relegation and hopefully by some miracle seeing the back of them both.

It's all ifs and buts but if relegation resulted in us once again having proper owners, a manager and structure within the club but with the financial implications and the prospect of Peterborough away etc, I would still take it every day of the week rather than premiership football with the current regime. Does anyone else see the brighter side of relegation?

That said there is of course the scenario of relegation, the financial impact of that, the Venkys staying, Kean staying and having to endure positive spin that we are not in danger of being relegated to league one and with few wins play offs on the cards. And the prospect of the dingles beating us for first time since 1979ish and that porcine head grinning in the technical area would be too much to cope with...

I do not want relegation.

If relegation meant the club being bought by someone who would do a better job than Venkys then I would accept relegation.

Mighty big IF though.

I too long for the day I lose my legs and gain wheels.

My sarky-sense is tingling.

You think we should stick with the legs no matter how crippled and gnarled, and continue to drag those stumps across the floor?

I do not want relegation.

If relegation meant the club being bought by someone who would do a better job than Venkys then I would accept relegation.

Mighty big IF though.

I too long for the day I lose my legs and gain wheels.

My sarky-sense is tingling.

You think we should stick with the legs no matter how crippled and gnarled, and continue to drag those stumps across the floor?

As a [congenitally] mobility-impaired member of this Board, I have to say that I found Majiball's original comment offensive. If it was intended to be sarcastic, I'm disappointed that any member of this Board should have to resort to using such an analogy to make their point.

I'd also like to point out that the word "crippled" has been unacceptable to people with disabilities since at least the 1970s.

As for the question in the original post, I'd be surprised if any member on this Board wanted Rovers to be relegated.

On the other hand, my contemporaries on here and I have seen Rovers in worse plights than near the bottom of the top tier of English football, which can colour our views on our present situation.

However, now that Uncle Jack's benevolence is a thing of the past, I accept that it will be harder to regain our present status if we're relegated; and Portsmouth's experiences worry me that we could easily be passed onto someone worse if Mrs Desai and her brothers decide that we were no longer a suitable publicity vehicle for them.

So I guess I'm in the "better the devil we know" category; but only very reluctantly.

My intent was not to cause offense and apologize if that's how it's being interpreted. Losing the use of my legs is my personal worst nightmare and I see relegation being rovers nightmare scenario. The term crippled was used as it is a term used in both aspects of the analogy, the financial world & I didn't believe the context of what was written would imply anything derogatory.

Also Stuart said it first :P .

I'd also like to point out that the word "crippled" has been unacceptable to people with disabilities since at least the 1970s.

Calm down, M1st, I was describing a leg, not a person!!

This boils down to 3 outcomes: 1 premiership with kean and Venkys, 2 championship without kean and venkys and 3 championship with kean and venkys.

If we stay in the prem will 100% keep manager and owners but we we’ll get the big games and £50 million more but its largely irrelevant whether we get £50 million in the prem or 50p in the chumpionship as its all going in mrs D’s purse. So IF relegation ensures venkys sell up I would opt for relegation but it’s a big IF and there will be nothing worse than that mob screwing us in the lower leagues.

Calm down, M1st, I was describing a leg, not a person!!

Oh I'm calm, Stuart; I was merely making the point that, imo and that of many people, "crippled" these days is an unacceptable word because of the connotations it carries.

Thanks for your clarification, Majiball; I'm sure you didn't realise that your first post could be seen as offensive.

• Backroom

I used to think I'd accept relegation if it meant the back of Venky's and Kean... but now I think, who replaces them? The club would likely go on the cheap so it could be sold to a proper shyster in the Portsmouth mould.

The only way I could accept relegation is if it meant Venky's were replaced by competent footballing people who cared about the club. IMO there's a very slim chance of that happening so I personally see no positives in relegation. It's imperative we stay up - I genuinely fear for the existence of the club otherwise.

Oh I'm calm, Stuart; I was merely making the point that, imo and that of many people, "crippled" these days is an unacceptable word because of the connotations it carries.

According to Cambridge dictionary (although who is to say that is right?) you are wrong m1st. Just looked it up and apparently 'cripple'noun is offensive whilst 'cripple,'verb 'crippled' adj and crippling is not.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/cripple_1?q=cripple

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/cripple_2?q=crippled

Now that you have just erred in your judgement can you see how easy it is to trip up these days?

I'm sure no one meant or means to be offensive (in fact I doubt many were aware of your condition) but to be quite honest I get sick of walking on egg shells the whole time. The road you are going down will no doubt see the term 'disabled' outlawed as offensive and replaced with something like mobility impaired or physically disadvantaged before long.... before they too are outlawed in turn. Where are we supposed to be going with all this?

There is only one pace to play and that is at the top table,

If any one thinks relegation could be benificial they are as deluded as the number one deluded person in delusion land (coco).

We would have lost the PL status and still be asset stripped at a lower level so imeasurably harder come back.

I used to think I'd accept relegation if it meant the back of Venky's and Kean... but now I think, who replaces them? The club would likely go on the cheap so it could be sold to a proper shyster in the Portsmouth mould.

The only way I could accept relegation is if it meant Venky's were replaced by competent footballing people who cared about the club. IMO there's a very slim chance of that happening so I personally see no positives in relegation. It's imperative we stay up - I genuinely fear for the existence of the club otherwise.

And this lot aren't " Proper Shysters " ?

Last time we went down, we still had Jack backing the club financially, we were able to keep most of our PL quality players, and we got Graeme Souness as manager.

This time, if we go down, we will have no money at all, the quality players will be sold off so Venkys can recoup their investment and walk away, and we will have (I presume) no manager, nor prospect of a decent one willing to work for a low wage.

If we go down, we will not likely be bouncing back up.

For me, and for others who must follow the club remotely from overseas, it will be horrible, because they do not show full matches in the championship, even on cable, out here, so it will be 10 minutes of highlights every week, and whatever you can stream of the internet.

Its appears to be far harder to get back up once you go down, than it is to stay up in the first place.

In saying that, there are many who would say (and I don't agree by the way), that Rovers throughout recent history (most of the latter part of the 20th century) have always been properly placed as a second tier club, given the size of the town, and the fact that we made it to the PL and have hung on so long is in fact an aberration.

Bigger clubs currently sit below us, clubs that the PL would much 'prefer' to have, and there is a view that ourselves, Wigan, Bolton, Swansea etc. really do 'belong' in the Championship anyway. That is another reason why I do not want to see us go down. I would like to desperately hang on up there, if for no other reason than to continue to stick it to the big money clubs who are of the view that we are too small to sit at the same table as them.

And to those who say that we are only there because JW "bought" the title in 94/95, well thats just stupid. Thats exactly what Man U, Chelsea etc. do every season. "Buy" the title with their resources. No-one has a go at them for it !

The club will hopefully be here long after Kean and Venkys, and I for one would like to see us stay in the top flight.

Indeed purple, for a club from a small town like Blackburn with a catchment area that couldn't possibly compete with big cities like Leeds, to thrive in the PL was something to be proud of.

Two decades of success meant we stood alone as the top town club in the country, Alas, we are not big enough to survive mismanagement of this scale and when we do drop it will be a steep decline.

• 1 year later...

Liverpool/Utd or Peterborough/Barnsley at Ewood on cold Winter night?

Mmmm..decisions,decisions!

Hasn't it been fun folks,rocking Ewood atmospheres,a less than quater filled ground,fantastic football on show...FFS!

Alas, we are not big enough to survive mismanagement of this scale and when we do drop it will be a steep decline.

..And so it came to pass Mattyblue.

Archived