BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Music/gigs

Hooky and The Light. Friday 25 Sept. Hull City Hall. Lowlife and Brotherhood. Plus a JD set as an opener.

Hull City v Blackburn Rovers. Saturday 26 Sept. Boothferry Park. Or similar.

Well, what can you do?

I must be the only person that feels that Peter Hook and the Cash-In Karaoke (we're not Monaco, honestly) is little more that a second rate tribute act of bands he played bass in.

I like hooky a lot and I really want to like this latest incarnation, but having seen them live twice and both times I couldn't help thinking it felt a lot like a half hearted cash-in. I'm seeing them again at Bingley Music Live in a few weeks (a 90s-tastic line-up with James, Cast, Ash, Super Furry Animals ... oh and Labrinth, Ella Eyre and some radio one DJs for the young 'uns, plus I get to sleep in my own bed, not a tent) so I genuinely hope it's third time lucky.

I must be the only person that feels that Peter Hook and the Cash-In Karaoke (we're not Monaco, honestly) is little more that a second rate tribute act of bands he played bass in.

I like hooky a lot and I really want to like this latest incarnation, but having seen them live twice and both times I couldn't help thinking it felt a lot like a half hearted cash-in. I'm seeing them again at Bingley Music Live in a few weeks (a 90s-tastic line-up with James, Cast, Ash, Super Furry Animals ... oh and Labrinth, Ella Eyre and some radio one DJs for the young 'uns, plus I get to sleep in my own bed, not a tent) so I genuinely hope it's third time lucky.

Saw hook and the light early this year doing the Brotherhood and low life albums with a short JD set as an opener and was a great night , Quite a few of the songs were a lot better than I've heard them played live before and good to hear some ones rarely played live, did not get the impression of somebody going through the motions, which is exactly what I felt when watching the new New Order a couple of years ago.

Only criticism is that Hooky is not doing any new stuff, but might happen now Monaco is basically back together . Was lucky to be around for both JD an NO first time round and don't blame hook one bit doing what he his doing imo better than before, surprised at the mix of the audience over here would say about 50/50 under 25's and older end (a large percent ex pats and few familiar faces that I didn't know were over here)

Edited by perthblue02

Agreed. I'm a massive JD/NO fan but can't bring myself to go and see Hooky lamely covering songs sung by someone else. I've watched some Youtube vids to have a go at convincing myself but they just made it worse - his singing is unbelievably bad - and I've seen Ian Brown at his least tuneful. Now Barney was never the greatest singer but at least when watching New Order minus Hooky (which I shall be again in Liverpool in a couple of months) it sounds like New Order. Goes back to the old argument that a band can get over the loss of any other member except the singer - the only exception to that rule being AC/DC ....

Went on the train to Colne yesterday for the Great British R&B Festival. Interesting that hardly any of the pubs have shut in Colne.

Nearly every pub and had live music on with free entry, except the Municipal Hall. There was also an open air stage in the market square.

Managed to catch Jamie Thyer and The Worried Men in the Market Street Tavern at 4pm. They then played at the Duke of Lancaster at 6pm. What an amazing guitarist. Reminded me of Gary Moore.

Edited by MCMC1875

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderation Lead

Off to see Johnny Marr at the Albert Hall tonight, just seen a review in the MEN about his set there last night, looks like I'll be in for a good show, he cracked out a few Smiths numbers as well as a few of his own, which I haven't even gotten around to listening to yet!

• Moderation Lead

He's a very good voice has Marr, better than I expected. I don't think they need to re-form now from their POV, as much as it's feasible, they're both on good terms as I understand.

Marrs one of the great British guitarists of all time(obligatory 'imo')
But going to watch him sing and front a band just sounds wrong.

His collaberations are usually pretty great though, i liked the stuff he did with modest mouse(who where immense when i wrnt to ser them in manc a few months ago) and his noel gallager collabs are also usually good.

P.s. and Sorry mike but your taste in music frightens me more and more every time you bring them up (but i suppose its cool that you're not into things that are considered cool, youre like an 'hipster' in reverse :) )

Edited by T J Hooker

• Backroom

Marrs one of the great British guitarists of all time(obligatory 'imo')

But going to watch him sing and front a band just sounds wrong.

His collaberations are usually pretty great though, i liked the stuff he did with modest mouse(who where immense when i wrnt to ser them in manc a few months ago) and his noel gallager collabs are also usually good.

P.s. and Sorry mike but your taste in music frightens me more and more every time you bring them up (but i suppose its cool that you're not into things that are considered cool, youre like an 'hipster' in reverse :) )

I'm happy to acknowledge I have no taste in music. My music taste is restricted to songs where I can actually hear the lyrics and learn the songs.

• Backroom

"Hear the lyrics and learn the songs"

Me to, which is one of the reasons i love oasis and the like

I quite like Oasis too, never said I didn't :P

What I struggle with is any genuine heavy rock or metal. Just noise.

• 3 weeks later...