BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Music/gigs

1 minute ago, Stonesrick said:

My 16th gig to see the Stones. Quite amazing considering their ages. The best one I've attending for atmosphere, sound and the overall event.

Abba do Avatars - the Stones do Live Awesome Rock n' Roll.

I was supposed to see them in 1964, just when they’d released their first LP. I had the ticket and got into the venue. There was supposed be mods v rockers trouble in the town that night and they never turned up. According to Bill Wyman they only missed two gigs  in their whole career and that was one of them !  I did get to see them years later at the Sheffield arena. OK, but nothing special that time I’m afraid.

On 13/06/2022 at 00:18, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was supposed to see them in 1964, just when they’d released their first LP. I had the ticket and got into the venue. There was supposed be mods v rockers trouble in the town that night and they never turned up. According to Bill Wyman they only missed two gigs  in their whole career and that was one of them !  I did get to see them years later at the Sheffield arena. OK, but nothing special that time I’m afraid.

They were all talk.

Now The Pretty Things......

52 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

I see decision making wasn't your forté...

No I wasn’t a massive fan.  Saw Rod Stewart, Long John Baldry, Clapton with John Mayall, Alexis Korner, Elton John with Bluesology, John Lee Hooker, Screaming Jay Hawkins Etc etc there. All the bands of the time. I missed the Little Richard gig because I couldn’t afford a ticket !

One of my fellow paper lads at the time was a big Pretty Things  fan. He was busy tearing out a full page colour spread of The Pretty Things in of one of those pop magazines on the door step when the owner of the house opened the door !

7 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

No I wasn’t a massive fan.  Saw Rod Stewart, Long John Baldry, Clapton with John Mayall, Alexis Korner, Elton John with Bluesology, John Lee Hooker, Screaming Jay Hawkins Etc etc there. All the bands of the time. I missed the Little Richard gig because I couldn’t afford a ticket !

One of my fellow paper lads at the time was a big Pretty Things  fan. He was busy tearing out a full page colour spread of The Pretty Things in of one of those pop magazines on the door step when the owner of the house opened the door !

What was mayall like? Was Clapton god yet?

10 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

What was mayall like? Was Clapton god yet?

Mayall was very blues driven as always. Clapton was obviously a cut above everybody you heard in the clubs then. They even played an old Yardbirds instrumental track called “ Got To Hurry “ . It’s a “ B” side. Once you heard that you knew he was a bit special.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Back from Rammstein. Simply effing amazing. The set list was great, Till's vocals were perfect and the stagecraft was spot on. What made it better was on Friday I found out my old school friend managed to get a ticket, so I met up with him and his girlfriend. 

Anyone who likes metal or rock should see them once.

• Like 2

It’s usually 1964 in our house but I did branch out well into the 1970’s and the punk era. I was playing “ The Back Of My Hand “ by The Jags and “ Little Does She Know “ by The Kursaal Flyers the other day.

I remember going a pub somewhere once about 20 years ago. We were with friends who had a young daughter so we were ushered into the “ family room “. There was nobody else in there but us. I noticed an old juke box in the corner so I had to go over and have a look. It was like a time capsule. They must have bought the juke box in August 1964 complete with the top 40 records and never changed one of them ! 

• Like 2

On 30/06/2022 at 02:23, oldjamfan1 said:

Was playing the Housemartins this morning, great band. Their second album was a cracker as well.

Got that one as well. Prefer the first one but Build is an absolute belter, probablytheir best tune I reckon.

Edited by Upside Down
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Upside Down said:

Got that one as well. Prefer the first one but Build is an absolute belter, probablytheir best tune I reckon.

Yeah and definitely a precursor for what was to follow with the Beautiful South. I like Johannesburg from that album too

A bad shift pattern led to me failing to get to see Jacqui Abbot and Paul Heaton at this year's Glastonbury.

As per my usual pattern I get to see less and less music every year I go, and have a better time. This year was particularly bad for not being able to see the acts I wanted to catch (Robert Plant & Alison Krauss), Kasey Musgraves, Pheobe Bridges & Elbow*) and covid deprived me of Richard Thompson. But I still caught Kae Tempest, First Aid Kit, Herbie Hancock, Lorde and most joyous of all Self Esteem.

* Elbow were less of an issue as I'm seeing them at Lytham next Thursday anyway.

• Like 2

On 02/07/2022 at 16:13, only2garners said:

In the late 80s I got a ticket via a Rovers player friend for the ‘posh seats’ at Molyneux for a drab 0-0 draw against Wolves. I was sat next to a long haired bloke with a big sheepskin coat on and we chatted away quite the thing during the first half about the game and Wolves and Rovers’ respective histories. He certainly knew his footie and spoke very enthusiastically about his club. Anyway, after I’d gone for a piss at half time I returned to my seat just in time to see this bloke doing the half time raffle draw on the pitch. It was Robert Plant. When he came back to his seat I said “I’m so sorry mate, I didn’t realise who you were, I’ve never really been into Led Zep to be honest”.

“No worries me duck” he said “It was nice just to talk about football for a change”.

What a great guy and I have checked out his music since that day and actually do like some of it ✊🏻

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

In the late 80s I got a ticket via a Rovers player friend for the ‘posh seats’ at Molyneux for a drab 0-0 draw against Wolves. I was sat next to a long haired bloke with a big sheepskin coat on and we chatted away quite the thing during the first half about the game and Wolves and Rovers’ respective histories. He certainly knew his footie and spoke very enthusiastically about his club. Anyway, after I’d gone for a piss at half time I returned to my seat just in time to see this bloke doing the half time raffle draw on the pitch. It was Robert Plant. When he came back to his seat I said “I’m so sorry mate, I didn’t realise who you were, I’ve never really been into Led Zep to be honest”.

“No worries me duck” he said “It was nice just to talk about football for a change”.

What a great guy and I have checked out his music since that day and actually do like some of it ✊🏻

I never liked Led Zeppelin  I remember turning down the chance to see them at the SU at Sheffield in 71/71? when a student there in favour of seeing Lindisfarne at the City Hall. But I have really enjoyed most of the stuff Robert Plant has done since and particularly the stuff with Alison Krauss.

A few years back on a short break to Belfast we were sat having hotel breakfast when a bunch of long haired men walked in and I turned to my wife and said that bloke doesn't half look like Robert Plant. On closer inspection and looking up that the band had played in town the night before I realised it was him. I left him alone though!

• Like 1

Led Zep did nothing for me either although I always thought Jimmy Page was a brilliant session guitarist. I’ve heard him playing on lots of records by other musicians  and he always brings something to the record.

Anybody see the two biographies on TV the other day on the Stones ? Mick and then Keith. Very interesting programmes. When I look at my generation on film and see what we’ve become politically it makes me really sad. What became of that Sixties spirit of hope and optimism ? I can see the Punks going the same way. All that radicalism, where did it go ? Maybe that’s for the other thread.

• Like 1

On 12/06/2022 at 19:18, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They missed their BKK gig a few years back. Cancelled on the morning of the event and they never came back, at least as far as I know.

Reasons for the cancellation were cloudy. I heard their main roadie had taken ill in India, another one was that one of the group feared for his freedom....

I know for sure that Jagger visits here himself but not to perform, at least on stage.

I saw่ live very early in their career so was pissed off to not get to see them again.

*Just checked Google and that BKK cancellation was in 2003, so quite a while ago but seems like yesterday.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Only second bit of live music for me since Covid coming up on Friday. The Strokes, Fontaines DC and those Isle of Wight lasses, Wet Leg.

Two week long Lytham Festival, it has come a long way since a few brass bands on the green!

• Like 2

Tramlines festival for us in a few weeks time, promised some fiends we'd go a few years back and finally making it to the event in Sheffield. 

Someone will need to explain who most of the acts are, but I know James, Kasabian and The Coral 😎

• Moderation Lead
2 minutes ago, Gav said:

Tramlines festival for us in a few weeks time, promised some fiends we'd go a few years back and finally making it to the event in Sheffield. 

Someone will need to explain who most of the acts are, but I know James, Kasabian and The Coral 😎

Declan McKenna and Working Men’s Club will be right up your street then!

• Like 1

Jealous! I haven't seen any live music for ages. I think the last I say was the Sugarhill Gang and Furious Five in Preston a few years ago. Now my kids are getting bigger, hoping to get out and about a bit more.

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Do you know many fiends Gav ? I’m impressed.

• Like 1