BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fabrice Muamba

Not being heartless but now that it appears that Muamba is on the road to recovery the Sat game should go on. I'm sure that he would not want it postponing anyway.

As a general observance sh1t will always happen, but life must go on.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he continues to recover there's no reason why the Rovers match should not go ahead. Bolton players have to get over this at some point and a local derby against Rovers is a good match to start.

Breathing and words? Thank Heavens.

Someone mentioned the Guardian, they also had a story on a health condition HOCM, I forget exactly what that means but it was talking about the heart of some of these athletes. It said it was also called Hokum. I'm sure a websearch of those terms can help you find something.

HCM stands for Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. The heart is essentially a big bag made of muscle pumping blood around the body by contracting. In HCM there is a thickening of the muscle. As the muscle increases in size it can make the volume of the chambers in the heart smaller and can cause obstruction. The heart is controlled by an electric current and the muscle, under normal circumstances, acts as a copper wire would and transmits the current around the heart. When the heart muscle enlarges the paths that these currents take become skewed. This increases the chance that the main chambers of the heart (the ventricles) will go out of sync. This is most likely to happen during exercise when the heart is working at full throttle.

The above is what happened to Fabrice. His hearts rhythm will have gone haywire and caused him to suffer a cardiac arrest. He probably went into a rhythm called VT which thankfully is shockable meaning the paramedics were able to attempt to resus him using the defibrillator.

As one poster correctly said above the time his brain spent without oxygen will determine the speediness or extent of his recovery. After 6 minutes of no oxygen irreversible damage slowly begins to occur. Although some reports say that his heart was not beating for 2 hours that is without assistance. Drs will have cooled his body down and kept him asleep over the last couple of days so as to decrease the workload on his heart.

Reports over the last few minutes of him saying words are indeed promising but it could still be a long road to recovery from here.

Really hope he pulls through and its been touching to see the football community rally around at a time like this. Get well soon Fabrice!

If he continues to recover there's no reason why the Rovers match should not go ahead. Bolton players have to get over this at some point and a local derby against Rovers is a good match to start.

I think the whole football world will be praying for a Bolton victory.

It will be tough, very, very tough for Rovers.

I hope he makes a speedy recovery, but Rovers will be made to pay by the Ref giving presents out to Notlob

"made to pay"? What on earth are you talking about?

I think football has acted with a great deal of dignity since it has happened so stupid and facetious remarks like that are completely inappropriate.

Great news that hes slowly recovering. Now it has been shown he has a heart defect I very much doubt hell ever be allowed to play professional football again, but thats secondary to pulling through and seeing his family again.

If he continues to improve and by Saturday is up and about the Bolton players will be so buoyed it will be an extremely difficult game.

den's banner idea saying something like Get Well Fabrice is a fantastic idea. Not wishing to sound selfish and self serving in what is a terrible time for the player and his family, but as one poster pointed out, it could really serve to prove to the media that Rovers fans are not necessarily a bunch of knuckle dragging heartless thugs, despite what Keans media spinners would have them believe. It might also help to neutralise the 'sympathy' threat that would otherwise see notlob carry a psychological edge in the game itself.

Agree with drog and jim. It was appropriate to postpone their Villa game as it was too soon. The situation with Fabrice was still too fresh, with no sign either way of a change in his condition.

Now, with a bit of positive news, there is no reason to postpone the Sat. game.

It is such good news to hear that Fabrice is showing signs of recovery. I haven't been able to stop thinking of the lad, and willing him to be ok.

I really like the Bolton fan's suggestion of singing his name from 41 minutes to half time, and will definitely participate in that if it happens. I'd agree with taking a banner, really good idea. If I get chance I'm going to try to make one.

There was an article in the Daily Mail yesterday by Martin Samuels - Why did it take this to make us a football family again?. His article ended with the sentence: 'When local rivals Blackburn Rovers visit Bolton next Saturday we will see what football has truly learned.' So it looks like all eyes are on us.

It is such good news to hear that Fabrice is showing signs of recovery. I haven't been able to stop thinking of the lad, and willing him to be ok.

I really like the Bolton fan's suggestion of singing his name from 41 minutes to half time, and will definitely participate in that if it happens. I'd agree with taking a banner, really good idea. If I get chance I'm going to try to make one.

There was an article in the Daily Mail yesterday by Martin Samuels - Why did it take this to make us a football family again?. His article ended with the sentence: 'When local rivals Blackburn Rovers visit Bolton next Saturday we will see what football has truly learned.' So it looks like all eyes are on us.

I made some big banners for protesting last year. I'll get one knocked up for this Saturday. Something along the lines of

"GET WELL SOON FABRICE....LOVE BRFC FANS"

How's that one sound?

I made some big banners for protesting last year. I'll get one knocked up for this Saturday. Something along the lines of

"GET WELL SOON FABRICE....LOVE BRFC FANS"

How's that one sound?

Depending how many words you can fit....

Local Rivals, relegation rivals – it doesn’t matter! Get well soon Fab – Love the ROVERS

Not wishing to sound selfish and self serving in what is a terrible time for the player and his family, but as one poster pointed out, it could really serve to prove to the media that Rovers fans are not necessarily a bunch of knuckle dragging heartless thugs, despite what Keans media spinners would have them believe.

Probably gonna get castrated for this but to be honest I suspect thats a big part of the motivation for most people in these public outpourings of grief and sympathy whenever something bad happens to a famous person. The vast majority of fans don't know anything about Muamba on a personal level so are they really that cut up about it? Or is it just the shock of seeing something like that happen on TV? I've read numerous stories of kids collapsing and dying during football matches, as I'm sure everyone has. Why no national concern for them?

Expressing compassion for someone makes you look good and feel good. But I'd really question the sincerity deep down when half the fans in England barely knew who he was before this happened. If Rovers fans are going to Bolton with plans to create huge banners expressing our love for this guy and sing about him for extended periods, to me it seems too much like looking for a pat on the back for being so nice. I'm all for joining in with a round of applause or whatever but to be honest I'm not interested in over the top gestures trying to make us look good in front to everyone else. Lets just show our respect and get on with supporting Rovers.

Probably gonna get castrated for this but to be honest I suspect thats a big part of the motivation for most people in these public outpourings of grief and sympathy whenever something bad happens to a famous person. The vast majority of fans don't know anything about Muamba on a personal level so are they really that cut up about it? Or is it just the shock of seeing something like that happen on TV? I've read numerous stories of kids collapsing and dying during football matches, as I'm sure everyone has. Why no national concern for them?

Expressing compassion for someone makes you look good and feel good. But I'd really question the sincerity deep down when half the fans in England barely knew who he was before this happened. If Rovers fans are going to Bolton with plans to create huge banners expressing our love for this guy and sing about him for extended periods, to me it seems too much like looking for a pat on the back for being so nice. I'm all for joining in with a round of applause or whatever but to be honest I'm not interested in over the top gestures trying to make us look good in front to everyone else. Lets just show our respect and get on with supporting Rovers.

+1

• Backroom

Don't see how "the entire country/world/universe" wanting Bolton to win has any affect on whether they do win or not, unless you believe in cosmic positive energy mumbo jumbo.

Their players will be fired up to win the game for Muamba, that will be the driving factor for Bolton. It goes without saying we'll have to be a lot better than we were at Ewood to get something from the match, but that would have been the case regardless of the sad events of the past week.

Archived