BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Grassroots Football

Hi all,

Encouraged by a couple of posts in another thread, I'm starting this one to discuss all things related to your local "grassroots" teams. This can be your pub team; your son's/daughter's teams; your school team; your works team; or maybe you're interested in starting a team and want some advice about how to go about it; whatever team really - but the idea would be you or one of your family/friends either play for or are involved in some way organising, managing, coaching, etc. Maybe you could share those coaching drills you use that improve fitness or skills (I'm looking at you Kelbo!).

Let us know about those proud moments or those nightmare moments, or just have a bit of banter with team mates or oppos.

For my part, I'm involved as an assistant manager of Blackburn Eagles Junior FC, and next season will be taking over as manager of the Under-10s side. Funnily enough it was because of BRFCS, and specifically a post by Hughsey in ICBINF, that I even got involved in the first place. From helping my son find a team to play for, to helping set things up, and now getting involved more formally.

We play our home games on Saturday mornings at Witton Park and, from May, will be back training at St. Peters Primary School playing fields in Darwen.

Next season we'll have Under-10s (7-a-side), Under-11s (7 or 9-a-side), Under-14s, and probably others.

If you want more details and want to get involved, or your son/grandson/nephew is looking for a team, PM me and I'll get in touch. (Need to double check but I'm not sure if there are any mixed teams at the club).

From my perspective, I'm interested in developing players, more than an "it's-all-about-winning" approach - especially in the younger age groups, so my ethos is that everyone gets some game time (win, lose or draw). In my head at least, it's about installing a bit of discipline, getting them fit and learning the basics, and most of all enjoying playing.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Stuart

Every credit Stuart, I hope you find it as rewarding as I did. I ran my eldest sons team at Bolton County from U7's to U16's. Met loads of new friends at our monthly club meetings, attended many functions to raise money etc.

You seem like the type of bloke who won't put up with the inevitable loud mouth parent(s) you may inherit over your managerial career. And, always remember why you're doing it..... even on those freezing cold/monsoon mornings, the kids have to play in it!!

Are you part of an FA chartered club or is your club trying to achieve it? That will involve you achieving FA coaching level 1 badge, which is easy and does give you a little insight into things.

I also started up a local pub team 'Bradshaw Rovers' when I was 19 (back in '81), which played in Bolton Sunday (brawl) league. I will save some of those experiences for another time, just thought you'd like my choice of name!

Good luck and don't get too frustrated! :D

Cheers, 12miles. Yes it's FA chartered and the managers all have their level ones I'll be doing mine very shortly (is the plan).

I think the key with the parents is setting expectations early. If little Johnny "needs to be playing a full game every week", then it might not be the team for him.

That's not meant to put people off but youngsters all have to find their feet and everyone has something to give and something to learn - even if it's that they don't want to be a footballer. As they get older it can start to get a bit more about results but the important thing is that they enjoy it and it's also a good way to make new friends.

And if your children are a bit younger, give this lot a try http://www.darwenrangersjfc.co.uk/

My lad "plays" for the under 7s and there's no pressure - win, lose or draw the manager's happy.

My lad plays for the under 9's. There's always been a push towards developing the players as footballers rather than a win at all costs mentality at Rangers. It's hard to accept as parents at times but there can be no doubt that it's for the greater good.

Ny daughter plays for Oswaldtwistle St. Mary's under 12's, she's very talented with a great football brain, unfortunately she's got a dreadful attitude and a work rate that would rival the Yak.

I watch them both every weekend and I look forward to the games more than any at Ewood.

My son plays for Blue Star Colts Under 10's. As I no longer play myself, I love going down watching my son, Ralf, and passing on my knowledge to help him develop. They are currently top of their league and just need to win their remaining few games to go on to win the league. Watching him play beats any rovers game hands down.

Blue Star JFC

Hi all,

Encouraged by a couple of posts in another thread, I'm starting this one to discuss all things related to your local "grassroots" teams. This can be your pub team; your son's/daughter's teams; your school team; your works team; or maybe you're interested in starting a team and want some advice about how to go about it; whatever team really - but the idea would be you or one of your family/friends either play for or are involved in some way organising, managing, coaching, etc. Maybe you could share those coaching drills you use that improve fitness or skills (I'm looking at you Kelbo!).

Let us know about those proud moments or those nightmare moments, or just have a bit of banter with team mates or oppos.

For my part, I'm involved as an assistant manager of Blackburn Eagles Junior FC, and next season will be taking over as manager of the Under-10s side. Funnily enough it was because of BRFCS, and specifically a post by Hughsey in ICBINF, that I even got involved in the first place. From helping my son find a team to play for, to helping set things up, and now getting involved more formally.

We play our home games on Saturday mornings at Witton Park and, from May, will be back training at St. Peters Primary School playing fields in Darwen.

Next season we'll have Under-10s (7-a-side), Under-11s (7 or 9-a-side), Under-14s, and probably others.

If you want more details and want to get involved, or your son/grandson/nephew is looking for a team, PM me and I'll get in touch. (Need to double check but I'm not sure if there are any mixed teams at the club).

From my perspective, I'm interested in developing players, more than an "it's-all-about-winning" approach - especially in the younger age groups, so my ethos is that everyone gets some game time (win, lose or draw). In my head at least, it's about installing a bit of discipline, getting them fit and learning the basics, and most of all enjoying playing.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Stuart

I dont think a young kid needs to worry too much about fitness, the problems with kids is their Bones and muscles grow at different rates and many problems could arise working on fitness at young ages, Majiballs your man on fitness.

For me, working with a ball and playing will get them naturally fit, if you PM me I will give you my telephone number and pass on a few little drills for kids which will improve their technique, some of course will not push on as much as others but playing and enjoying is the main thing.

One word of caution, from experience, if your teams start losing heavily, you will lose the better players and maybe loss of interest with players you have left!! Use your strongest team whenever possible, I do agree about game time, but even at such a young age, kids dont like losing.

Guest Rovers4Good

There are plenty of well run junior clubs out there and my lad goes to Langho and that club has always been fantastic from under 6 up to Senior level and the seniors have just got through to the final of the Lancashire cup. :)

At the younger age it's all about enjoyment for me and mostly ball work as kids will run and run anyway so fitness shouldn't ome into it. :)

Well done to the guys who run football clubs and long may it continue. :)

One word of caution, from experience, if your teams start losing heavily, you will lose the better players and maybe loss of interest with players you have left!! Use your strongest team whenever possible, I do agree about game time, but even at such a young age, kids dont like losing.

I have to confess that this is my biggest fear but, talking to other managers, it's actually when the teams start to do really well that delusions of grandeur set in and players then leave so it's a bit Catch-22. I understand though that kids (despite what schools try to do) are naturally competitive - especially those interested in sport.

I think at Under-9 and Under-10 age group though, it's right to put more focus on the playing element more than results. As they get to older age groups that will naturally become more important.

It's down to myself and the managers to organise them and motivate them well enough not to i) lose heavily ii) lose faith in the team.

Cheers for the advice though - I'll drop you a PM.

My lad plays for Blue Star under 13's on Sunday afternoons, they're not the best side in the world but the manager and coach are great with the kids, no pressure, love going along to watch them play.

I am the co-founder of Bank Top Rovers Football Club, it was set up in 1992. We now have 8 teams ranging from under 8's upto open age. In addition to this we offer kids hundreds of hours of free coaching during evenings, weekends and over school holidays. All of this done on a voluntary basis, we undebted to our team of coaches who are superb.

I am the co-founder of Bank Top Rovers Football Club, it was set up in 1992. We now have 8 teams ranging from under 8's upto open age. In addition to this we offer kids hundreds of hours of free coaching during evenings, weekends and over school holidays. All of this done on a voluntary basis, we undebted to our team of coaches who are superb.

Are you involved in or with the adult sunday league division 2 team Kammy100.

I have to confess that this is my biggest fear but, talking to other managers, it's actually when the teams start to do really well that delusions of grandeur set in and players then leave so it's a bit Catch-22. I understand though that kids (despite what schools try to do) are naturally competitive - especially those interested in sport.

I think at Under-9 and Under-10 age group though, it's right to put more focus on the playing element more than results. As they get to older age groups that will naturally become more important.

It's down to myself and the managers to organise them and motivate them well enough not to i) lose heavily ii) lose faith in the team.

Cheers for the advice though - I'll drop you a PM.

We had 3 teams in our age group at Bolton County, and to get over the wide range of ability in each team, we decided to re-select them according to ability when they moved up to 11 a side, (it coincided very well with leaving junior school).

We advised the league what we had done and asked them to place the teams in the appropriate divisions.

If a player was then struggling at the higher level he was able to drop down to one of the other teams and vice versa, if they were proving to be above the ability of the league they were in they could move up. Thus keeping everyone happy(ish) and keeping the in form players at the club. We also made sure all teams trained together to keep it as an age group, rather than 3 individual teams.

This enabled us to ensure that the kids who were performing were not held back.

Ssssh I have enough bloody work on my plate, lol.

Now that stuart bloke will be PMing me asking what you can and can't do with sprogs. Don't really want to help him as he can't even spell his name right! stuart it's bloody Stewart, english folk do make me laugh.

:lol:;)

:lol:

Is that an offer? :unsure:

My lad plays for Blue Star under 13's on Sunday afternoons, they're not the best side in the world but the manager and coach are great with the kids, no pressure, love going along to watch them play.

My lads team (Blue Star Colts U10's) played Rossendale last Sunday, and I've got to say that they are the dirtiest side I have seen at that age. My son was punched, double footed and various other players where just as dirty towards Blue Star. At that age they do not know all the dirty little tricks to do so it has been coached to them. When I saw my son get punched I had strong words with the lads dad and also the manager, but typical dingles said "that football pal!" I was fuming

25th March, 2:20pm. Ribchester. Beautiful sunny afternoon, unseasonable clement for the time of year, incredibly warm in fact. Short sleeved, eating an ice-cream, watching a grassroots football match I happened across, between two unknown teams - unknown to me at least - under 16 I'd say. Pitch uneven, but not yet long enough to mow. A slight crown on one side of the halfway line and a shallow slope on the other half. The lack of quality made up for by a good deal of determination and spirit. Perfect way to spend a Sunday afternoon on the first day of British Summer Time.

Except for the fact I'm watching a team in Blue squander chance after chance and head off for their half-time oranges 2-0 down to a team playing in claret and blue.

*sigh*

Football giveth and football taketh away...

Archived