BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Samba in Russian Race Row

Yes. But it doesn't mean it's for everybody to sing about and define him by all the time.

If you think that nickname has anything to do with the colour of his skin it says more about your opinions of race than anyone else's.

I assumed the nickname came from the fact he was Congolese and big hence 'King Cong'. Not for one second did I think it was linked to him being a big black man and therefore like a big gorilla.

TBF, I've never really understood the black people/monkey thing anyway. There are some black people who look ape-like (that bird in Easteneders who went out with Fat Boy for example) but far more that don't, and just as many white people look like monkeys as well...why don't people chuck bananas at Gareth Bale for example, he looks more like a chimp than any black person I've ever seen.

Even mentioning that in relation to what happened in Russia is pretty retarded.

It is by no means in anywhere near the same extreme as that, but considering we are discussing race, I don't find it 'retarded' to be discussing it.

If you think that nickname has anything to do with the colour of his skin it says more about your opinions of race than anyone else's.

I assumed the nickname came from the fact he was Congolese and big hence 'King Cong'. Not for one second did I think it was linked to him being a big black man and therefore like a big gorilla.

TBF, I've never really understood the black people/monkey thing anyway. There are some black people who look ape-like (that bird in Easteneders who went out with Fat Boy for example) but far more that don't, and just as many white people look like monkeys as well...why don't people chuck bananas at Gareth Bale for example, he looks more like a chimp than any black person I've ever seen.

The nickname isn't in question as it's something he said himself on some frothy morning football show.

My point was the song defining him as a black man which people who I know, connected to the club (tenously) but who had spoken directly to Samba, had said he did not like.

Anyway, I've made my point.

Dear me, you've really outed yourself there...

An EastEnders viewer!

That's one of the strangest paragraphs that I have ever read on here.

Are you feeling ok today? You wrote something quite odd in the Muamba thread as well.

What's odd about it? Are you saying all black people look like monkeys (contrary to what I said) or are you saying Gareth Bale doesn't look like a chimp?

I wasn't talking about either of those things! I feel this may be more trouble than it's worth, so I'm going to leave you to it. :)

• Moderation Lead

A song that starts 'Chris Samba is a big black man...'

He never complained because it wasn't racist, I'm simply pointing out it was embarrassing that people chose to sing a song that he didn't like (though they may not have known so fair enough) that defined him by the colour of his skin.

When asked on twitter what he thought of the song, his reply was 'I like it, it's funny'. What does it matter about defining him? He's big and black?.....

Anyway, you can guarantee if that happened in England we'd be banned from every tournament going, but as it's Russia, sweet FA (no pun intended) will happen.

When asked on twitter what he thought of the song, his reply was 'I like it, it's funny'. What does it matter about defining him? He's big and black?.....

Anyway, you can guarantee if that happened in England we'd be banned from every tournament going, but as it's Russia, sweet FA (no pun intended) will happen.

Fair enough. If this is the case then I have been misinformed.

A song that starts 'Chris Samba is a big black man...'

He never complained because it wasn't racist, I'm simply pointing out it was embarrassing that people chose to sing a song that he didn't like (though they may not have known so fair enough) that defined him by the colour of his skin.

It's a big day when I agree with you Braddock!

• Backroom

Just like we were banned from every tournament recently when a Liverpool fan made monkey gestures at evra right?

Oh wait a minute

• Moderation Lead

Just like we were banned from every tournament recently when a Liverpool fan made monkey gestures at evra right?

Oh wait a minute

Perhaps I exaggerated......

At any rate, Russians have been getting away with this sort of behaviour scott=free for quite some time.

Reminds me of a mate of mine who tried to download the movie "King Kong" ... Only to download "King Dong".

He never lived it down.

Brilliant stuff.

Is that the excuse he gave his missus?

:lol:

At any rate, Russians have been getting away with this sort of behaviour scott=free for quite some time.

Indeed so K-Hod........ whose going to take it up with them do you think? You maybe? If so then good luck with that. :unsure::rolleyes:

Moving on, I've said before (I think re: the Suarez / Evra issue) that our attitude to racist issues is not shared by the majority of the world. We need to be aware of this and to understand and accept that is is the case before we jump in with both feet and a welter of sanctimonious outpourings of frothy outrage.

Moving on, I've said before (I think re: the Suarez / Evra issue) that our attitude to racist issues is not shared by the majority of the world. We need to be aware of this and to understand and accept that is is the case before we jump in with both feet and a welter of sanctimonious outpourings of frothy outrage.

I agree we need to understand that this behavior is considered acceptable in a large part of the world. I agree that we should not act like sanctimonious lords and ladies when talking to the "savages" on this issue. But the behavior is wrong. We most certainly should engage with those who have a contrary view. The most effective method, in my opinion, is to hold true to our own beliefs, set an example. With luck, if our culture and economies thrive, others might decide it is in their interests to follow our example.

Storm in a teacup. Samba knew what he was likely to get when he signed on and in doing so doubled, trebled or even quadrupled his already massive remuneration. I admired Samba greatly as a player and as a leader but he's gone is taking no harm and earning a kings ransom every week. I'd prefer to save my sympathies for more deserving cases.

Archived