BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Season Tickets 2012/13

I don't really want to get drawn into a debate about the WestHams manager, but I have to take issue with a couple of points Stuart.

The vast majority of Rovers fans, me included, never actually voiced an opinion in the usual manner to get rid of Allardyce, we may have written pieces on sites like this, but that probably adds up to less than 1% of the fan base, and is no basis whatsoever to replace the man.

As for the Middle East stuff, he was refused permission to speak to them, but wanted to go, make no mistake about that, he also kicked up a bit of a fuss when asked to honour his contract.

You kind of paint yourself into a corner with that post GAV. From that I infer that I should take anything you post on here with a pinch of salt. Because in 'real life" you probably don't mean it - or at least say it? ;)

For your second issue, I was going to say "I'll have to take your word for that" but see above.

Theno and/or Jim would probably have wiped the floor with that post but I'll leave it there. :D

(Sorry if I hit a nerve though!) :unsure:

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's probably more to do with the fact that the club did this to themselves in Allardyce's case. It was within their control and the messed it up - that's a lot harder to take. With Souey and Hughes they walked of their own volition. (Although in Hughes' case he was kind of pushed into a corner by the lack of funding/ambition. I expect that JW would have loved to have backed Hughes to the hilt but when push came to shove we simply couldn't afford it).

My view is that we could not afford NOT to back him. His eye for a player's ability pulled in around 40m worth of talent. We made huge profit on RSC, Bentley, Samba and Warnock and basically had the services of McCarthy and Bellamy for nowt. Once we had killed the Goose that laid the Golden egg Allardyce was the next best fit without a doubt.

You'd think we'd only ever had one manager before Kean. Why do Hughes and Souness not get people all misty-eyed and wistful? They did far more for us.

Allardyce is blunt and can be aggressive and rude on occasion and no doubt is not everyone's cup of tea, but he is a football man. He lives and breathes football, he understands the game and best of all he understands the players and what makes them tick and as a result can motivate them. He is a damned good and capable manager, his career record is right up there in the Premier Leagues all time top 10 BUT he isn't a God..... he only achieves God like status when compared with the lamentable Paul Ince and the current opportunist slimeball!

The vast majority of Rovers fans, me included, never actually voiced an opinion in the usual manner to get rid of Allardyce, we may have written pieces on sites like this......

Is that not the current version of voicing your opinion? :huh: I rem you claiming that you and all your chums (to a man) in the rows around you on the Blackburn End would not renew if Allardyce stayed in charge? How about you and all your chums again never going to away games whilst Allardyce was at the helm?

Gav stop trying to cover your tracks. Why don't you just admit that you were wrong and that you got carried away with the spotty faced know nowt facebook warriors? Your opinion was vapid, you were told as much but you were too stubborn to admit it. Basically you ###### up and are now trying to distance yourself from any accusation of blame. The fact that you are now anti kean does not square the circle.

Allardyce is blunt and can be aggressive and rude on occasion and no doubt is not everyone's cup of tea, but he is a football man. He lives and breathes football, he understands the game and best of all he understands the players and what makes them tick and as a result can motivate them. He is a damned good and capable manager, his career record is right up there in the Premier Leagues all time top 10 BUT he isn't a God..... he only achieves God like status when compared with the lamentable Paul Ince and the current opportunist slimeball!

+1

And for anyone who says his sides can't / don't play football, WHAM had the pundits drooling with their football in the 3-0 success against Fulham including Harry Redknapp.

Is that not the current version of voicing your opinion? :huh: I rem you claiming that you and all your chums (to a man) in the rows around you on the Blackburn End would not renew if Allardyce stayed in charge? How about you and all your chums again never going to away games whilst Allardyce was at the helm?

Gav stop trying to cover your tracks. Why don't you just admit that you were wrong and that you got carried away with the spotty faced know nowt facebook warriors? Your opinion was vapid, you were told as much but you were too stubborn to admit it. Basically you ###### up and are now trying to distance yourself from any accusation of blame. The fact that you are now anti kean does not square the circle.

I did not like Sams style of football. But at the sametime it was affective and worked. Got rovers the points, kept us safe in the prem.

I did not like that there were times he did not let the team try against the big teams.

But he was still the right man for the job needed at Rovers.

You kind of paint yourself into a corner with that post GAV. From that I infer that I should take anything you post on here with a pinch of salt. Because in 'real life" you probably don't mean it - or at least say it? ;)

For your second issue, I was going to say "I'll have to take your word for that" but see above.

Theno and/or Jim would probably have wiped the floor with that post but I'll leave it there. :D

(Sorry if I hit a nerve though!) :unsure:

Thats a strange take on what i posted Staurt, I'm not even sure how to respond :wacko::lol:

Nice try Gordon :D

My opinions on Allardyce have not changed and never will.

I did not like that there were times he did not let the team try against the big teams

Really?

I did not like Sams style of football. But at the sametime it was affective and worked. Got rovers the points, kept us safe in the prem.

See Mercermans post above yours.

I did not like that there were times he did not let the team try against the big teams.

But he was still the right man for the job needed at Rovers.

Indeed so Pafell.... Allardyce was governed by instructions from the Trust via John Williams not to let the club suffer relegation under any circumstances whilst the 'For Sale' signs were up. That was the Primary objective which he had to adhere to.

Basically in his only full season and hampered by a very low budget he got the same squad that Ince was taking down to a position of safety with 9 games to go! From then on unfettered by the constraints imposed by the Trust it appeared to me that the team was allowed to open up and go for results. Those final 9 games saw us play some exhilerating football and win 4, draw 3 and lose just 1. If you cannot recall the end of that season then check it out here.....

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/blackburn-rovers/2009-2010/results

Allardyce would not be my 1st choice of manager for BRFC, that would still be Mark Hughes and his managerial team but Big Sam is head and shoulders clear in second place. It makes my blood boil to still hear people criticise him and stereotype him when he was working to strict instructions and for the best interests of the Trust and ultimately the club. Just a minor point but a very revealing one that every club he has left in complete safety has declined in one way or another and all have ended up relegated.

It's probably more to do with the fact that the club did this to themselves in Allardyce's case. It was within their control and the messed it up - that's a lot harder to take. With Souey and Hughes they walked of their own volition. (Although in Hughes' case he was kind of pushed into a corner by the lack of funding/ambition. I expect that JW would have loved to have backed Hughes to the hilt but when push came to shove we simply couldn't afford it).

When Allardyce came along, we struck gold. Here was a guy who could work WITHIN our budget with relative success. People who believed he was no good for Rovers actually gave ammunition those in the club who wanted him gone!

It wasn't obvious he would leave at all, by the way. He had been linked with the Middle East but he was still here. The only reason for him going would be Venkys "methods" and apparent lack of trust that JW and Big Sam would get the best value and most relative success for their money. Now... I wonder why they didn't trust them...? Did someone soft-soap them with Champions League ambitions on £5m per year. Again... I wonder who put this demented idea in their head. (Fan's of other clubs have forgotten that gem - I haven't).

Despite your assertion, I reckon most people's choice for a former manager to come back would be Hughes but Allardyce would be neck and neck with Souness for second place.

Superb post.

Those final 9 games saw us play some exhilerating football and win 4, draw 3 and lose just 1. If you cannot recall the end of that season then check it out here.....

I wouldn't say it was exhilarating - but he did mix it up far more in those final few games - and it was far more entertaining. But then came the frustration of the following season where he reverted to type.

I wouldn't say it was exhilarating - but he did mix it up far more in those final few games - and it was far more entertaining. But then came the frustration of the following season where he reverted to type.

... making sure we were safe from relegation before playing a more expansive game. And still they don't get it.

... making sure we were safe from relegation before playing a more expansive game. And still they don't get it.

Hard to understand why some don't quite grasp this.

Staying in the league = huge main priority.

Anything after that, including 'pretty' football = very much secondary to the above.

That Big Sam knew how to utilise the players at his disposal, keep us as a comfortably-placed Premiership team and do so within our modest budget, is testament to how good he was for us.

Unfortunately, some either genuinely can't see that or refuse to see it due to a personal dislike of the man.

• Backroom

or refuse to see it due to a personal dislike of the man.

I think this is the most prevalent reason. A lot of people really nailed their colours to the anti-Allardyce mast a couple of years back and the result is to this day a steadfast refusal to acknowledge how well he did here.

... Those final 9 games saw us play some exhilerating football and win 4, draw 3 and lose just 1. If you cannot recall the end of that season then check it out here.....

What happened to the 9th game? Mathmatics not your strong point Gordon? :lol:

I think this is the most prevalent reason. A lot of people really nailed their colours to the anti-Allardyce mast a couple of years back and the result is to this day a steadfast refusal to acknowledge how well he did here.

Another post absolutely spot on. Man this thread is cheering me up. I used to be tearing my hair out at the almost criminal lack of support for Sam while he was here. But its great to see the sensible minority (or quiet majority) having their say now his previously very vocal critics are keeping their heads down or pretending they never give him much stick in the first place.

Under Big Sam the football wasn´t so pretty but he did calculate what we needed and it was always enough. I bet we spent more time taking mid half free kicks, attacking zone throw ins and giving corner kicks than we spent in attacking zone last season. That was one way to keep opponents away from attacking and we did score goals from those.

Has everyone thought what kind of a hulabaloo would be at Ewood if Kean was sacked. I bet the crowd would be like never before and atleast 20 000 would be there. Yet the mrs. almost jailbird says no.

Another post absolutely spot on. Man this thread is cheering me up. I used to be tearing my hair out at the almost criminal lack of support for Sam while he was here. But its great to see the sensible minority (or quiet majority) having their say now his previously very vocal critics are keeping their heads down or pretending they never give him much stick in the first place.

No need to feel like that SKH cos polls conducted on here (and in the LT) at the time showed people who were opposed to Allardyce's sacking formed a massive majority. The noisy facebook warriors didn't amount to a drop in a bucket. Unfortunately the lunes from Pune were amongst them. :angry2:

Sam is one of the very best managers at working within tight limits.

Would take him back is a heartbeat.

The day he was sacked was one of the darkest for the club. And from that moment I have had no fiath in the chicken farmers.

Look what they stuck us with fior gods sake. Always annoyed me how close minded some fans were the minute he was appointed.

Some never gave him a chance but gave the fat bald fool too many!

When our win ratio was better at the end of the season with a more mixed game - yeh must admit to being confused to going back to totally long ball tactics the following season.

Really?

See Mercermans post above yours.

Far point. They did play good football v fulham. But sadly there were one or two matches when he got the team to sit back a bit too much for my liking. But all in al he is a very good manager and gets the best out of what he has. If he was at Rovers now, we would be guarrenteed promotion. Just keep an eye on what staff he brings into the club (He brought Kean in!!!)

Archived