BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Morten Gamst Pedersen

I think the tv/live issue does relate to varying opinions of MGP. Watching live does highlight the off the ball work he does, which is significant, on tv however, he looked better than he actually was when he was scoring his Fulham-esque volleys, repeated endlessly in slo-mo, and then in contrast, for the last few years it was impossible to watch him on tv without foaming at the mouth at his 50% pass success rate, "long" throws and hopeless blind dinks over his shoulder to absolutely no-one.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the tv/live issue does relate to varying opinions of MGP. Watching live does highlight the off the ball work he does, which is significant, on tv however, he looked better than he actually was when he was scoring his Fulham-esque volleys, repeated endlessly in slo-mo, and then in contrast, for the last few years it was impossible to watch him on tv without foaming at the mouth at his 50% pass success rate, "long" throws and hopeless blind dinks over his shoulder to absolutely no-one.

But if you look at even his recent stats, he's still one of our best players.

Much like Dunn however, I think his best days are behind him. I guess Bowyer feels there is more that can be squeezed out of Dunn (for those games that he is fit) than Pedersen. I just hope there is some kind of proper send off after the Bolton game if he really is on his way.

Whatever people think of him, he deserves that much at least.

But if you look at even his recent stats, he's still one of our best players.

Much like Dunn however, I think his best days are behind him. I guess Bowyer feels there is more that can be squeezed out of Dunn (for those games that he is fit) than Pedersen. I just hope there is some kind of proper send off after the Bolton game if he really is on his way.

Whatever people think of him, he deserves that much at least.

Niether watching on tv or live equates to "stats" though. Assists, for example is a manufactured stat where very few fans watching would have an intuitive grasp of the definition. But we can all see, and get enraged by someone who passes the ball to the opposition ever other kick.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assist_%28football%29

Good luck to him. In my opinion the time was right and he leaves us with the majority of fans wishing him well and thanking him for his loyalty. It must have hurt him over the last few years as someone who has a deep feeling for the club to see the charlatans and liars we have had to endure. I really hope he gets invited back so he can receive the proper accolade his service deserves.

349 games

47 goals

68 assists

Virtually ever-present from 2005-12 during which time the club finished in the PL top half 4 times, reached 3 domestic semi-finals and the UEFA Cup last 32.

True legend. Thanks for everything Morten and good luck with the rest of your career.

agreed

*snip*

I understand your point, Stu, but I don't completely agree with it. Sure, watching a game can give one the panorama that the guy at home is without, but we only have to look at how divisive a player Pedersen is between regulars (ignoring armchair fans like myself) to see that it isn't quite that simple. In the event that my argument is supported by those who were watching pitchside, then who has the right of it? I just think it's quite a narrow outlook to dismiss someone's opinion because they weren't physically there. That sets a false precedent that anyone at the match is therefore more clued up on what happens, and that simply isn't true.

Courtesy of the rovers YouTube account

Some fantastic clips there

I'd like to think some posters will feel a pang of shame after watching that but sadly I'm sure they will remain defiant.

A great servant to the club through thick and thin.

All the best, Morten.

Absolutely fantastic video and that is the Morten I will remember. The bit where he sings the "your mums your dad" song is brilliant. Good luck MGP. EDIT I may have watched a different video that the Rovers twitter page put on.

here it is if it hasn't been posted.

Archived