BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Morten Gamst Pedersen

I just don't get how so many people fail to see the lack of logic in always reserving 90% of their criticism for one player whenever we get beat. Its like a sports journalist giving Pedersen 1/10 and all our other players 7/10. That never happens because you simply can't reasonably attribute that much of the blame to 1 player in a team of 11 unless he's been sat on a deckchair all match. When we lose it is always the fault of more than one player, and usually the fault of more than half the team. And yet Pedersen receives extreme vitriol while many other underperformers get off scott free. The whole concept of a scapegoating is inherently stupid, and yet so many otherwise reasonable fans seem oblivious to the fact that they're constantly doing it.

Because the Pedersen of old was a match winner, he used to single-handedly win games for Rovers with a moment of brilliance. That Pedersen of four years ago is still fresh in the minds of fans who get frustrated at seeing Rovers lose and wonder why he can't reproduce that form.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all a sick joke. Nope he's not the best, he's not the worst either. Pederson or Petrovic? Pedersen for me every time.

A poor performance (I didn't go) by every player bar maybe one of the twins seems to be the general consensus. So who gets the stick? The manager? The owners? Both of whom have seen the club reduced to an absolute shambles?

Or a player who has been here for years, speaks well of the club and us, the fans? Yep, let's go for the player.

The fact there's no one better, or that we can't play some of the squad due to bonuses they may or may not be due is neither here nor there.

Sad thing is, it's inevitable. We can't shift the manager, the owners have disappeared. Someone needs to get it in the neck. How's about Morton? Why the hell not. I doubt the media get paid to stick up for Morton do they? Crickey, he doesn't even tell lies or stab people in the back.

• Backroom

The same people who have a pop at Pedersen, are the same people who think Formica is on a par with Messi !

Clueless.........!

Ah you see Formica has an attribute Pedersen doesn't have, a lesser engine.

Formica looks knackered every week early in the second half and you often hear people proclaim that he has run himself into the ground when in fact he just doesn't look that fit really, Pedersen however runs more than anyone and still doesn't look like he's broke a sweat at full time.

No matter what he's always a scapegoat, recently in a game every set piece he had taken had been dangerous until one where the defender cleared a corner, cue someone behind me swearing at him about how he can never beat the first man, I've often thought its something about how he looks as there is often gay jibes thrown his way

• Backroom

I don't think there's anything wrong with coming on here and having a bit of a pop at Pedersen at times. There's a lot he does to rant over. But that goes for any player, not just MGP.

As for screaming abuse at Pedersen or any player (Keef included before he departed) on the terraces... well, I just don't get it. It isn't going to make them play any better, is it?

MGP genuinely cares for the club - having a go at him, regardless of his performances, is out of order.

I genuinely care for the club and forty years ago I was a good left back, shall I get my boots down from the loft ? Seriously it's ###### like that that gets teams relegated. One more time, there's no place for sentiment in pro sports. If he plays like a passenger I reserve the right to say so. As long as he's in the team we'll struggle, simple. He's not the only one that's not up for it but he's in a key position. Lose the midfield and you're in trouble, that applies to soccer at any level. Like someone said earlier, it's funny how our fortunes took a turn for the better last season when we dropped him.

I genuinely care for the club and forty years ago I was a good left back, shall I get my boots down from the loft. Seriously it's ###### like that that gets teams relegated. One more time, there's no place for sentiment in pro sports. If he plays like a passenger I reserve the right to say so.

We're not going to be relegated because of Pedersen.

What are you like at set pieces, Tyrone? Maybe not this season, but next season you might need to get the linseed oil out and tart those boots up a bit.

We're not going to be relegated because of Pedersen.

What are you like at set pieces, Tyrone? Maybe not this season, but next season you might need to get the linseed oil out and tart those boots up a bit.

Maybe not but is he going to keep us up ? I think not.

Me and set pieces ? I was great , either foot. Driven , chipped , benders, floaters I had the lot. I could take corners from either wing with either foot. The secret ? Practice, Practice , Practice, and then Practice some more. Just don't ask me to head anything, that was my achilles heel , or head.

I genuinely care for the club and forty years ago I was a good left back, shall I get my boots down from the loft ? Seriously it's ###### like that that gets teams relegated. One more time, there's no place for sentiment in pro sports. If he plays like a passenger I reserve the right to say so. As long as he's in the team we'll struggle, simple. He's not the only one that's not up for it but he's in a key position. Lose the midfield and you're in trouble, that applies to soccer at any level. Like someone said earlier, it's funny how our fortunes took a turn for the better last season when we dropped him.

Wow.

Wouldn't like to hear about your hatred of Kean and the Rao family then.

Guest Rovers4Good

To be fair i was a big Pederson fan but recently his performances have been poor to say the least and i do regard him as a passenger in most games which Kean has to control.

One thing he used to be awesome at was his set plays but even they have let him down in recent games.

Like everyone who plays the games knows, if you perform badly then you don't expect to be in the starting line up for the next game but it seems that Kean has got his favourites and Perderson is one of them unfortunately for us.

I would for sure drop him for at least one game to give him a big kick up the backside.

On another note in Pedersons defence, playing in different positions can be tough on even the best of players and we can't really expect a player to play well one week in one position then move him to another and then again play well even at the highest level, so again that's down to Kean. :(

All well and good to drop Pedersen to give him a kick in the backside, but is there anyone in management/coaching who are instructing/helping him to remove his frustrating qualities? He won't change otherwise.

Said this in the Bolton thread, but I always think of the Hughes/Bentley example, which just goes to show how much of an effect excellent management and coaching can do. (Now that I'm thinking back that era, it was the same regime who kept a "lightweight" [terminology used here at the time] Pedersen on the sidelines for several months whilst they molded him into an effective Premier League footballer, or at least something resembling that.) How spoilt we were.

which performances and games ? another sweeping statement :rock:

Excluding Cardiff quarter final and Newcastle FA Cup I've seen every game since and including Norwich away some 21 matches and I can honestly say ...I haven't seen what I'd call a decent performance from Pedersen... He's been frankly pathetic

Excluding Cardiff quarter final and Newcastle FA Cup I've seen every game since and including Norwich away some 21 matches and I can honestly say ...I haven't seen what I'd call a decent performance from Pedersen... He's been frankly pathetic

really. ? pathetic ? even against QPR, Villa (2nd half), Wolves and Sunderland (and scored a great freekick at Arsenal in between).

you should define 'pathetic'

We obviously watch different games, or expect different things.

He's had quite a decent season. He's had a few terrible matches, but the vast majority of the time he has been average to good and in a couple of matches he has been very good. He's a good premier league player, nothing special but he can do a job and always puts in a shift. Given how many players we have had who have engineered moves, sulked for months and thrown their toys out of the pram at any opportunity it is amazing that supporters choose to pick on a player who has quietly got on with the job to the best of his ability, staying fit and focused during that time.

He's not as good as he once was, no one can be sure why, but when he's been at his best and been at his worst there can be little doubting that he actually enjoys playing for the club and is committed.

Maybe not but is he going to keep us up ? I think not.

Me and set pieces ? I was great , either foot. Driven , chipped , benders, floaters I had the lot. I could take corners from either wing with either foot. The secret ? Practice, Practice , Practice, and then Practice some more. Just don't ask me to head anything, that was my achilles heel , or head.

Which top flight team did you represent and stay loyal to for the majority of your career? You seem to have the complete package ;)

Most of this thread has been about people's personal opinion of his ability, but I'm sure even his fans would say they don't have a problem with people thinking he's rubbish. What many fans have a problem with is people booing him during or after matches. That crosses the line, thats the point at which someone's subjective opinion becomes destructive to Rovers. It wipes out the confidence of the individual, damages the team spirit and creates angry division amongst the crowd. To me its unacceptable, the people who do that are better off not coming to Rovers, ever.

Most of this thread has been about people's personal opinion of his ability, but I'm sure even his fans would say they don't have a problem with people thinking he's rubbish. What many fans have a problem with is people booing him during or after matches. That crosses the line, thats the point at which someone's subjective opinion becomes destructive to Rovers. It wipes out the confidence of the individual, damages the team spirit and creates angry division amongst the crowd. To me its unacceptable, the people who do that are better off not coming to Rovers, ever.

+100

The point is, who could play box to box centre mid if he were dropped? IMO, Dunny can't cover the miles, Petrovic is not good enough, Grella (?), Lowe is our best RB.

To be fair, we are having to play him out of position as he is the best option available.

Wow.

Wouldn't like to hear about your hatred of Kean and the Rao family then.

Just telling it like I see it, My mum had a saying " If the cap fits,wear it". Having said that I wouldn't boo or harrass any player, that's totally counter productive.

Which top flight team did you represent and stay loyal to for the majority of your career? You seem to have the complete package ;)

Like I said I couldn't head it for toffee. Promising career finished at 17 by a twice broken leg. I may not be as skillful as Peds but I had a lot more beating under the badge on the shirt.

The point is, who could play box to box centre mid if he were dropped? IMO, Dunny can't cover the miles, Petrovic is not good enough, Grella (?), Lowe is our best RB.

To be fair, we are having to play him out of position as he is the best option available.

Orr at right back (in his proper position), Lowe in midfield (in his proper position), Peds on bench = stronger first 11.

Archived