BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Man United Preview and Match Thread

Ozz

The players are poor by Man U standards, but is the team poor? 76 points from 31 games indicates Man U will finish on 93 points if they continue at their current rate (and they're actually getting better), if that isn't the record in a 38 game season then it must be very close. I'd argue that as a unit and in terms of teamwork and players gelling and complementing each other, this is a good United side.

The media love stuff like past records at certain grounds but does it really mean anything? I'm not sure how, its just coincidence that stats like that pop up occasionally. I seem to remember them always beating us at Ewood in the 90s. I agree its disappointing but compare it to the Man City capitulation earlier in the season and we lasted about half an hour longer and conceeded half as many goals.

I reckon don't worry about it and lets get stuck into West Brom on saturday.

You make a good point about the effectiveness of their team unit and at face value with regards to the league at least, then it all stacks up. Disappointing results in the CC, FA Cup, CL and Europa league however suggest that this United team is nothing special.

Look where Norwich and Swansea are currently in the league this year and there is a good argument to state the league is weaker than normal, which may be playing a part in their league success and results. Yeah the stats are neither here not there really, but even old red nose stated that Rovers was a tough place to visit.

Topman sums it up above for me. United were not great, a little one paced and one dimensional, lacking craft and guile centrally to break us down and at times I thought they looked devoid of ideas. They missed Nani and I was pleased Young did not start.

Agreed however that there were some positives to take from the game and that West Brom is all that matters now.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought the lads did fine. They were playing the Champions elect who have better players in all positions-so-they did exactly what they could. Tactically they were right-but you can't mark Vallencia closely and leave gaps for Rooney to stroll through-if you all shimmy across then you leave Evra to dance down their left.

If you are playing a top 6 team then you have to respect that they will usually have 11 better players than your team on the pitch. You can up the effort-which we did but they matched it. You can devise and stick to a cunning gameplan to minimise their team's attacking threat-which we did for most of the game-Robbo largely under-employed. However, it they turn up they beat you or Wigan or Norwich or Swansea or anybody outside the top 6.

I say-well done lads-now-lets have the same effort against the Albion on Saturday-for their players are no better than you.

Just reading Cryers 'analysis' in today's LT.

He shares his concerns about a lack of squad depth. In sure we'd probably agree. Where I part ways with Andy is when he believes only David Dunn could offer anything (P.S. Andy - even Dunny wasn't brought on).

He goes on to say "Since the Venky's regime started, good money has been spent on Petrovic, Vuckevic, Goodwillie and Slew and none of them look to be anywhere near Kean's first team plans".

What an incedible statement and indictment of the Venkean reign. How can it be an excuse that the players brought in aren't good enough? (Notwithstanding the fact that a decent manager would get a damn sight more out of Vuckevic than Kean can. Who scouted them? Who made the final decision? Venkys? Kean? The players own agent? The board? It's absolute madness.

If Kean has spent so much money on new players yet won't play them, despite not getting results, he should be sacked. It's a results business and it always has been.

If someone is picking these players for Kean and he is taking the blame then he should walk. Hell, a manager worth the title would have walked long ago, and for all his dignity, there is no sign of him falling on his sword...

He shares his concerns about a lack of squad depth. In sure we'd probably agree. Where I part ways with Andy is when he believes only David Dunn could offer anything (P.S. Andy - even Dunny wasn't brought on).

He goes on to say "Since the Venky's regime started, good money has been spent on Petrovic, Vuckevic, Goodwillie and Slew and none of them look to be anywhere near Kean's first team plans".

What an incedible statement and indictment of the Venkean reign. How can it be an excuse that the players brought in aren't good enough? (Notwithstanding the fact that a decent manager would get a damn sight more out of Vuckevic than Kean can. Who scouted them? Who made the final decision? Venkys? Kean? The players own agent? The board? It's absolute madness.

If Kean has spent so much money on new players yet won't play them, despite not getting results, he should be sacked. It's a results business and it always has been.

If someone is picking these players for Kean and he is taking the blame then he should walk. Hell, a manager worth the title would have walked long ago, and for all his dignity, there is no sign of him falling on his sword...

Yeah another example of the joke that is upon us. Once of several reasons he cannot stay in charge.

I love the way Kean was congratulated on here for" getting rid of the deadwood". He's simply replaced it with his own!

And its nowhere near as good!

Steve Kean doesn't need to get results, never did, never will.

Depressingly true.

I was so annoyed the other night watching the game when the commentator was talking about how Kean had come through a difficult period at Rovers and how he (the commentator) wanted to stress that it was only a section of the support. Totally clueless.

Archived