BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Swansea v Rovers Preview

I think the game could well be up.

As I feared and flagged a couple of weeks ago, we are now in a nosedive, struggling for form, under great pressure, confidence dwindling and now, running out of matches.

Contrast to QPR & Wigan - finding form, confidence growing and playing with conviction and purpose.

Still reading some of our supporters stating that Swansea are on a poor run of form and we can win. FFS, what is our form and we are the known patsy, as demonstrated against Liverpool, for teams / strikers with no form. Sadly, I fear there will be nothing for us at Swansea and feel that that will be followed-up by defeats at home to Norwich and away to Spurs which could mean we are relegated before we even kick a ball against Wigan.

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You were popping the champagne corks a few weeks ago Mercer!

Plenty of others were saying we were anything but safe.

Thank you for reminding me of my misplaced optimism where I allowed my heart to rule my head, no doubt fuelled by a lovely bottle of red.

This morning, I am strictly in business mode working with a clear head and no alcohol (at least until tonight!).

We might as well go for it on Saturday, it's a game we have to win. Need to play with a high tempo and close down Swansea all over the pitch.

You are right, however, I would question whether we have the fitness to do that over the course of 90 minutes.

Team needs freshening-up but again, unfortunately, Kean has no inclination to do that where he possibly can (Givet, Peders).

Make no mistake, Rodgers will be looking for a reaction from the Swans and I have no doubt he'll get it. What alarms me is how easily we are opened-up and a pass / move team like Swansea will expose this.

• Backroom

Thank you for reminding me of my misplaced optimism where I allowed my heart to rule my head, no doubt fuelled by a lovely bottle of red.

This morning, I am strictly in business mode working with a clear head and no alcohol (at least until tonight!).

It wasn't just a one off though Mercer, you spent the best part of a week, possibly more, telling us we were unquestionably safe :lol: I thought somebody had nicked your log in. No problem with you going back into doom mode now, but not a good idea to act like you foretold the inevitable a few weeks ago when if anything it was the exact opposite (and people remember because it was so out of character for you!).

The problem is NOT that Swansea are on a similar run to us games wise NOR is that we are facing the drop while they are safe.

The real issue is Kean and his lack of vision on how to send a football team out and get a result.

He doesnt play the right formation, he has absolutley no idea defensive wise, the better attacking players are nowhere to be seen, the best defender we have is benched, the fact that he plkays Lowe in a midfield berth when the poor lad doesnt really know what it is he is supposed to do causes problems in the middle of the pitch, he will send out Ollson 2 and waste a place in the team because he brings nothing to the party, he will rely on the diddy man strike force, he will not make a decent substitution to give the team a change of impetus, in fact Kean will probably still think that the R word is not to be mentioned in the walls of Ewood.

I cannot see Swansea losing 5 on the bounce, they will tear us apart down the flanks. Should the clueless one send Dann out as a centre back then I fear the lad Graham will have a field day in the air.

For me the team should be :

Robinson

Dann Hanley Givet Henley

Orr NZonzi Ollson1 Vukcevic

Hoilett Yakubu

subs - Dunn Goodwillie Modeste Lowe Kean Olsson 2 Pederson

Swansea (like Liverpool) are on a poor run so it's the perfect time for them to play us. Tottenham likewise.

Is it possible that for once the players and manager concentrate on not conceding the first goal ? Swansea are a decent side and if they get in front their confidence will return and it will be game over.

The problem is NOT that Swansea are on a similar run to us games wise NOR is that we are facing the drop while they are safe.

The real issue is Kean and his lack of vision on how to send a football team out and get a result.

He doesnt play the right formation, he has absolutley no idea defensive wise, the better attacking players are nowhere to be seen, the best defender we have is benched, the fact that he plkays Lowe in a midfield berth when the poor lad doesnt really know what it is he is supposed to do causes problems in the middle of the pitch, he will send out Ollson 2 and waste a place in the team because he brings nothing to the party, he will rely on the diddy man strike force, he will not make a decent substitution to give the team a change of impetus, in fact Kean will probably still think that the R word is not to be mentioned in the walls of Ewood.

I cannot see Swansea losing 5 on the bounce, they will tear us apart down the flanks. Should the clueless one send Dann out as a centre back then I fear the lad Graham will have a field day in the air.

Robinson

Dann Hanley Givet Henley

Hoilett Yakubu

I agree with you about the clear evidence that Kean can't put out an organised and well balanced side, however I don't think Rovers have the quality in midfield to play a 4-4-2. It's been obvious to Rovers fans for the last 3 years or so that our midfield is our major weakness, a pass and move side like Swansea will have a field day if we play that formation.

Swansea (like Liverpool) are on a poor run so it's the perfect time for them to play us. Tottenham likewise.

Is it possible that for once the players and manager concentrate on not conceding the first goal ? Swansea are a decent side and if they get in front their confidence will return and it will be game over.

Can't remember where I read the statistics, but we are terrible when we concede first, we rarely ever come back from a goal down to win.

The term "must win" has been banded about loosely over the past few weeks, but if you ask me, this really is a must win.

I am 60% resigned to us playing in the Championship next season, and a defeat on Saturday will definitely confirm this (not mathematically of course).

Let's hope for a performance like the last day of the season and just go at them from kick-off. We've no choice really.

The thing that I can't get out of my head is that regardless of what happens on Saturday or Norwich we will lose to Wigan at home. Our home for against our relegation rivals is terrible! I think the feeling of the 90th minute loss to a 10 man and being brutally honest poor Liverpool team will have terminal damage.

Robinson

Dann Hanley Givet Henley

Hoilett Yakubu

What do you think of ...

Robinson

Dann Hanley Givet

Orr Nzonzi MGP Olsson (mk1)

Hoilett Yak

Goodwillie

My thoughts on the above - firstly I wouldn't play with 3 at the back because I don't think Kean will have even tried it in training - but if we had a decent manager who could prepare a team I would go this way.

We should try to press as high up the pitch as possible - and close them down in their half. Picking Goodwillie is purely for his energy - watching them against QPR they pass it back to the keep a lot - and I would ask Goodwillie to close down their defenders as much as possible.

Given how our manager likes to play - I would change it only slightly

Robinson

Orr Dann Hanley Givet

Hoilett Nzonzi MGP Olsson (mk1)

Olsson (mk2)

Yak

Kean seems to like to set us up to hit on the break - this team wouldn't see a lot of the ball - but would have pace one the break to scare most teams.

I'd go for this team on sat

Robinson

Orr, Hanley, Givet, Olsson

Hoilett, Petrovic, N'Zonzi, Pedersen

Yakubu, Goodwillie

And I'd be telling Goodwillie to run his 80llocks off and pressure their back line into hitting it long

Only N'Zonzi is that midfield is capable of putting in a tackle - and he's not brilliant at it - and Swansea will just pass their way through it.

Kean is utterly inept so expecting a draw in this one after taking the lead in the first half.

Would like to see something different in terms of a line up, personally would like to see the lady boys (Nzonzi and MGP) dropped from the side just to kick them up the arse.

For me

Robinson

Orr - Givet - Hanley - Olsson 2

Lowe

Simon - Formica

Jnr Olsson 1

Yak

Very narrow formation but with a flat back four reckon that would be better than the drivel we have been used to of late, will never happen though as Simon and Givet are both out of favour/to expensive to play. Not a huge fan of Orr or Olsson 2 but hey ho what choices do we have.

No; but I'm glad you did!

“You look back on the games, were we good enough for a point against Chelsea? Yes. Should we have got three against Norwich? Yes. Should we have got a point against Tottenham? Yes.

“You add up all those points and we’re sitting halfway up the league.

I wonder where we are now in Kean's league format? 3rd? 4th?

It will be interesting to see if Steve Kean receives a hero's welcome when he returns to Swansea where they will have memories of him as a player back in the 80s.

Steve's playing career began at Celtic. Unfortunately, due to the club having other players, he did not get a game for them. However, Celtic did send him out on loan to Swansea City in 1987 where Steve played 4 of the 5 games he played in total for league clubs in the UK.

In recent weeks teams have found out how to play against Swansea, press them high up the pitch and force them to kick the ball long instead of being able to play out of defence. We aren't going to do that, so I'm expecting a defeat

Archived