BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Windows 7 Folder Storage Question

Howdy All

I'm a bit stumped with an issue I'm having on Windows 7.

According to Windows 7 I have just 6gb spare out of the 80gb allocated to my c:(WIN7).

However when I open it there's not a great deal in there and it all gets a bit wierd under the USERS folder.

If I hover the mouse over the USERS folder it states it is 373mb, however when I right click on it and bring up properties I get a figure of 40.3 GB, now that's quite a difference.

The difference would appear to be very similar in size to the MY MUSIC folder which I moved from the C: to the D: a while ago to free up space. Can anyone explain what's going on and if there is an issue. There just doesn't appear stuff on the c: to be full. I only use the PC for XBMC and all of the files are stored externally so there's hardly any software on it at all.

Howdy All

According to Windows 7 I have just 6gb spare out of the 80gb allocated to my c:(WIN7).

However when I open it there's not a great deal in there and it all gets a bit wierd under the USERS folder.

If I hover the mouse over the USERS folder it states it is 373mb, however when I right click on it and bring up properties I get a figure of 40.3 GB, now that's quite a difference.

The difference would appear to be very similar in size to the MY MUSIC folder which I moved from the C: to the D: a while ago to free up space. Can anyone explain what's going on and if there is an issue. There just doesn't appear stuff on the c: to be full. I only use the PC for XBMC and all of the files are stored externally so there's hardly any software on it at all.

If you untick the "Hide protected operating system files" in the folders options you will see an "AppData" folder hiding within your user directory. This is usually where Windows hides everything that your login has including the XMBC cache. For example mine is C:\Users\biddy\AppData\Roaming\XBMC. My XBMC folder is only 178MB but thats on a system where I don't actually use it!

I find the biggest hog for me is if my wife edits photos in Windows Gallery. It tends to keep a copy of the original file (even if she's just rotated the picture). For example there's currently nearly 1gb in C:\Users\biddy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Photo Gallery on mine and I clear it down not long ago.

BTW, you can see the AppData folder just by typing it into the folder bar, you don't actually have to untick the option, it just makes life easier.

Howdy All

check temporary folders and also you sure it said 373 and not "Over 373mb" because it sometimes does this before you click the properties.

also check each user folder find one with most. Then go to that folder and do a individual check on each folder in it and keep doing that till find folder with information in it. then you decide what to do

Cheers guys.

Im now viewing hidden folders and I can see the problem file is users/Ricky/appdata/local/temp/toolbar_log which weighs in at a hefty 38.6 gb!!!! For 1 file which is a text file according to windows 7!!

What the hell is it and can I delete it.

Cheers guys.

Im now viewing hidden folders and I can see the problem file is users/Ricky/appdata/local/temp/toolbar_log which weighs in at a hefty 38.6 gb!!!! For 1 file which is a text file according to windows 7!!

What the hell is it and can I delete it.

Do you have AVG installed? A web search suggests it may be that.

Archived