BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Kidd in 99

Having read through the thread I can't help but feel people are trying to paint the team of 99 as an unlucky, half decent squad...they were awful. Nathan Blake, Ashley Ward, Billy McKinlay, Alan Fettis, Dario Marcolin, Kevin Davies, Jason Mcateer, Darren Peacock, Christian Dailly, Callum Davidson etc. were all absolute rubbish. Like now there was no strong spine to the team and very limited creativity (the likes of Duff, Dunn and later in the day Jansen were just kids with little experience). Like Samba, Sherwood did his captain's duty and led by example by rocking the boat until he got his own way.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the '99 team had played this season (Including manager) we would have stayed up in my opinion.

Agree there, the league is less competitive IMO there is seemingly a much bigger divide between the teams with money and those without.

• Backroom

Appointing Harford for loyalty reasons in 96 is where it all went wrong.

Again, though, Harford was generally considered the muscle behind Kenny's success. There was no reason to think he couldn't make the step up, he'd been around the squad long enough. Much like Kidd, we probably could have gotten somebody better, but I don't think the logic behind appointing Harford was bad. He just couldn't make the step up. Agree with the rest of your post.

Again, though, Harford was generally considered the muscle behind Kenny's success. There was no reason to think he couldn't make the step up, he'd been around the squad long enough. Much like Kidd, we probably could have gotten somebody better, but I don't think the logic behind appointing Harford was bad. He just couldn't make the step up. Agree with the rest of your post.

At the time is was a massive coup getting kidd - snatching fergies number 2. i rememer that charlton match with fond memories when he was in the stand giving croft an ear full, came one to touch line gave him some more. Got changed into his tracksuit at half time! KD scuffed in a winner and it was all looking good. Then the signings came!

800px-Blackburn_Rovers_FC_league_results_1889-2011.png

It's interesting looking at how things turned back around in 2001. When did Williams arrive and what sort of changes did he impose and what did Souness bring? I can't help thinking that if Venkys are adamant on staying around then re-enstating those two back with big golden hellos would sort us out again.

I was watching souey on champs league last night sat next to salgado - i wonder what they would have been saying off camera

id have soueg back tomorrow

Although it really tailed off for him in the final days, Souness was excellent for this club. He took no nonsense, cold shouldered the chaff in the squad and then shipped them out. He bought some very good players and played the kind of football suited to a club like Rovers - hard graft and big testis!!!

Football changed again in the early 2000's (ordinary players became divas)and he seemed to struggle in terms of clashing egos at the club. The likes of Dunn, Cole and Yorke clearly got under his skin, I feel this led to dressing room discontent towards the end and his move to Newcastle was excellent for the club.

I'd have him back in a shot because he'd get us out of the Championship or put a rocket up the backsides of the likes of N'Zonzi.

Jack was making mistakes and letting emotion get in the way, I believe that was a reason Williams was appointed.

Yeah, totally agree. I great move.

For those of you that have already eagerly filled in your renewal packs, I think you either have too much money or not enough to do. Blackburn Rovers will only return as we know it if the current regime is bled dry. Venkys are a disease and sadly I believe that the club will have to go close to near extinction before we are free of them.

Its called supporting your team.....not the owners, not the players, or the manager - but the club from your local town that you have always supported, regardless of quality or what league we are in. Regardless of who owns us, or how they run us, its still my local team - the team that my Grandad took me to watch when I was about 6 or 7, the same team iv followed all over the country.

Thats why we dont support Man United, its not all about glory. Its got nothing to do with 'not having enough to do' - its because we feel as though we should never turn our back on the club.

Thats why we dont support Man United, its not all about glory. Its got nothing to do with 'not having enough to do' - its because we feel as though we should never turn our back on the club.

Even when the club has turned its back on you?

I was watching souey on champs league last night sat next to salgado - i wonder what they would have been saying off camera

id have soueg back tomorrow

Souey made quite a point of saying that you shouldn't be playing really young players in defence in really important matches, so I wonder?

I've always supported the 'club', I can take or leave 'the team', a load of overpaid eejits most of the time. They are mercenaries brought in to advance the fortunes of the club

Now we bring in players to do the very oppposite.

To see my club decimated like this make me so very sad.

800px-Blackburn_Rovers_FC_league_results_1889-2011.png

It's interesting looking at how things turned back around in 2001. When did Williams arrive and what sort of changes did he impose and what did Souness bring? I can't help thinking that if Venkys are adamant on staying around then re-enstating those two back with big golden hellos would sort us out again.

What an excellent chart!

The standout managers who all made a dramatic difference on the chart by reversing a plummet and shifting us to a higher orbit are easy to spot: Crompton, was '57 Carey or Marshall?, Lee/Smith, Kendall, Mackay, Kenny, Souness

What an excellent chart!

The standout managers who all made a dramatic difference on the chart by reversing a plummet and shifting us to a higher orbit are easy to spot: Crompton, was '57 Carey or Marshall?, Lee/Smith, Kendall, Mackay, Kenny, Souness

Isn't it just?! Where did it come from, I wonder?

Btw, EiT, Johnny Carey became manager became manager in 1953 and stayed until our first season back in Div 1 [1958/59], when Dally Duncan succeeded him until the end of the 1959/60 season. "Jolly Jack" took over at the start of the following season. He remained in sole charge until we were relegated in 1966, when he was joined by Eddie Quigley.

I've always supported the 'club', I can take or leave 'the team', a load of overpaid eejits most of the time. They are mercenaries brought in to advance the fortunes of the club

matty! that has mystified me ? how can you support the club but not the team ?

to say theyre "eeijits and mercenaries" is a cheap shot. It has always been the case and all clubs have the same issues.

I equate it to having a pub that you and your folks have visited for generations. One day it's taken over by new management. The landlord's a useless to$$er, the service has become cold and sterile, the beer leaves a nasty taste in your mouth, and menu's been cutback so much you'll be lucky to nab a packet of cheese n' onion. With all that, would you keep going? I sincerely doubt you would. It's not "your pub", it's just bricks and mortar that happen to have some good memories ascribed to it. It might look the same on the outside but the once welcoming, family-run establishment that you used to know and love is nowhere to be found.

Quite frankly, if you buy a season ticket next year, you have no right to complain about Venky's, Kean, Agnew or anyone else from the rogue's gallery that has ripped this club apart.

matty! that has mystified me ? how can you support the club but not the team ?

to say theyre "eeijits and mercenaries" is a cheap shot. It has always been the case and all clubs have the same issues.

Yep most players at most clubs are mercenaries.

I've no problem with that, they are brought in to de a service- to take the club on to the next (or ensure thay stay at the same) level.

I support the players because I want them to achieve things for the club.

Isn't it just?! Where did it come from, I wonder?

Btw, EiT, Johnny Carey became manager became manager in 1953 and stayed until our first season back in Div 1 [1958/59], when Dally Duncan succeeded him until the end of the 1959/60 season. "Jolly Jack" took over at the start of the following season. He remained in sole charge until we were relegated in 1966, when he was joined by Eddie Quigley.

Jack was magic sponge man when I started going - maybe that'll be Kean's next job as well!

Yep most players at most clubs are mercenaries.

I've no problem with that, they are brought in to de a service- to take the club on to the next (or ensure thay stay at the same) level.

I support the players because I want them to achieve things for the club.

I'm not nit-picking, but youve just confirmed you support the club and the team ?

What an excellent chart!

Ken Furphy did OK too!!

I'm not nit-picking, but youve just confirmed you support the club and the team ?

Of course I do, you can't hope for a successful football club without a team doing the business on the pitch.

My point was zac, it is the club I hold dear to my heart, not the players that happen to be wearing the shirt until they move on without a backward glance.

Archived