BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Nzonzi off?

The Prof.

I disagree, Etuhu and Murphy have been treading on each others toes in midfield. It has been making it even more crowded considering the way that the opposition are onto Murphy in a flash. I think Etuhu is better suited to the Reid type role and Murphy would be better sat in front of the back four picking passes - rather that panicking and struggling for time.

I haven't seen much of Etuhu admittedly, having been boycotting. However from what I've seen and heard, his goal aside, Etuhu doesn't have the technical skills to play the Reid type role. Probably not QUITE the engine either. We don't have a squad that can play like we did when Tugay was sitting in front of the defence splaying passes beautifully, and from Murphy's efforts so far there is no suggestion he can play them like Toogs did. I can't see anybody getting the ball to Murphy sitting so deep, and we don't currently have the outlets on the wings to take advantage of Tugay-esque passes even if he can do them. Under a new manager, when the team evolves, with the likes of Olsson and Kazim on the wings, and if Murphy can start accomplishing the passes that he is currently waylaying, that might change, but I still see little sense in using Etuhu in a box-to-box role. In the meantime, sitting Murphy deeper so that his poor passes have even further to go will accomplish nothing.

Murphy should be dropped until he pulls his finger out. Personally I'd put Formica in his place for now. The stats from last season show he does a lot of running and tackling. We need a better engine room than we have, a more dynamic midfield, and Formica can weigh in with the odd goal or moment of quality. I know he's not consistent yet with his top-end product, but I think a lot of that has been down to mismanagement. I'd use him in a more central role rather than in the hole behind the striker, and see if that can address some of our problems in midfield. Right now, by all accounts Murphy is a liability.

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen much of Etuhu admittedly, having been boycotting. However from what I've seen and heard, his goal aside, Etuhu doesn't have the technical skills to play the Reid type role. Probably not QUITE the engine either. We don't have a squad that can play like we did when Tugay was sitting in front of the defence splaying passes beautifully, and from Murphy's efforts so far there is no suggestion he can play them like Toogs did. I can't see anybody getting the ball to Murphy sitting so deep, and we don't currently have the outlets on the wings to take advantage of Tugay-esque passes even if he can do them. Under a new manager, when the team evolves, with the likes of Olsson and Kazim on the wings, and if Murphy can start accomplishing the passes that he is currently waylaying, that might change, but I still see little sense in using Etuhu in a box-to-box role. In the meantime, sitting Murphy deeper so that his poor passes have even further to go will accomplish nothing.

Murphy should be dropped until he pulls his finger out. Personally I'd put Formica in his place for now. The stats from last season show he does a lot of running and tackling. We need a better engine room than we have, a more dynamic midfield, and Formica can weigh in with the odd goal or moment of quality. I know he's not consistent yet with his top-end product, but I think a lot of that has been down to mismanagement. I'd use him in a more central role rather than in the hole behind the striker, and see if that can address some of our problems in midfield. Right now, by all accounts Murphy is a liability.

I agree and disagree at the same time. I think we do have the personnel to put on the wings but haven't used them there - Simon or Kazim on the right and one of the Olssons or Nunes on the left. Agreed, Murphy isn't in the same class as Tugay and totally agree he hasn't done it so far...but I think he can and will prove that he can pick a pass given the time. Tugay was pure class, cool and calm, he had the ability to make a mug out of the opposition likie a matador does with a bull - had no pace whatsoever but he'd do a quick turn or dink the ball over someones head to give himself five yards of space to pick a pass. Right now the opposition are focussing on shutting Murphy down asap and he is panicking on the ball and trying to thread low passes through a crowd. It also seems to me like him and Etuhu are treading on each others toes in midfield, they are playing way too close together - this I feel must have been Kean's idea of a tactic. Murphy's legs won't let him be that player who used to close down and appear into the box anymore but I honestly think that if he sits in front of the back four he will do a really decent job. I think that Etuhu also has the size and strength to make a nuisance of himself whilst going forward. Big Sam would certainly be making him a focus if he was in charge. He'd be used as a semi-target man on the edge of the D and we'd be looking to feed off the damage he could make, I also don't think he'd have us trying to ping the ball about the middle of the pitch when our players clearly don't have the ability to actually do it..bloody hell, I'm actually slightly missing Big Sam style tactics...or just tactics!

• 3 months later...

Got to post #17 and almost every single one was disagreeing with the original post you have quoted. Here's a selection:

"Who could he pass to when there's no movement?"

"Really feel for nzonzi. The blokes a class act but the players around him are awful"

"Top player"

"I thought he looked head and shoulders above the rest of his teammates"

I must say those Stoke fans seem more down to earth than any I've ever met.

I lived down there for seven years. They're actually surprisingly arrogant on the whole. And a LOT of them were Man United or Chelsea fans until they got promoted. Then they all came out the woodwork. I know that happens to an extent at any promoted club, but this was pretty ridiculous.

I lived down there for seven years. They're actually surprisingly arrogant on the whole. And a LOT of them were Man United or Chelsea fans until they got promoted. Then they all came out the woodwork. I know that happens to an extent at any promoted club, but this was pretty ridiculous.

I've got that impression from a few I've met, though I've never lived down there or anything. The ones on that forum made a refreshing change though.

Well, that point backfired spectacularly, Gan.

I am a big nzonzi admirer myself and like salgado is a hero visit that site often to check what they are saying about him. posted it coz many rovers fans used the exact same words when complaining about nzonzi last season. :D

• 3 months later...

There's no doubting his talent, much like Hoilett, but the lad has no commitment when times get rough. I think with the pair of them in the current side - especially a linkup between Rhodes and Hoilett - I don't think we'd be in the predicament we're in, but in leaving, they've failed to have the same effect in either side and I hope their attitude corrects before their talent fades.

Personally I hope their talents fade so they can be a lesson to the next big time charlies who decide they are too good for us.

Just a shame N'Zonzi wasn't relegated along with Samba and Hoilett.

Archived