BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Premiership Years

Barring miracles the inevitable is about to happen, Rovers a founder member of the Premiership, will slide into the abyss and to the armchair supporter reared on satellite and internet streaming will just be another English football team.

During the last 20 years, we as Rovers supporters have been fortunate enough to have had some the best players in the league wear the famous blue and white shirts, a team full of international players a team of grafters, a team with style and individual skills.

In years to come when you tell the tales to your grandchildren what will be your memories of the Premiership

Will you tell them of VE night against Newcastle, the Jansen / Cole goals that won the Worthington Cup or Bentleys hatrick against Man Utd.

The way Shearer celebrated his goals, how Duff weaved and dribbled around defenders as if they were traffic cones, the way Tugay sprayed the ball around the park or his wonder goals or the fearless blocks and tackles of Hendry.

Greatest saves / goalkeepers

Best striker / goals

Best defenders / tackles blocks

Best midfield generals

Best games / ground atmosphere

Opposition players

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

I'll tell them of Matt Jansen and how he had his world cup dream and ultimately his career taken from him, he had the world at his feet after that Liverpool game.

Also how Grabbi had a cult hero status robbed off him by a ref feeling sorry for Barthez.

Also the time Shearer nearly broke the crossbar getting his hattrick against QPR and being modest in an interview after the game saying they sometimes end in the stand.

And how Tim flowers had bottle (but was rubbish on free kicks)

Weirdly one of the stand out memories for me was Le tiss scoring a wonder goal against us, I've never seen so many fans appluad an opposition goal.

Barring miracles the inevitable is about to happen, Rovers a founder member of the Premiership, will slide into the abyss and to the armchair supporter reared on satellite and internet streaming will just be another English football team.

During the last 20 years, we as Rovers supporters have been fortunate enough to have had some the best players in the league wear the famous blue and white shirts, a team full of international players a team of grafters, a team with style and individual skills.

In years to come when you tell the tales to your grandchildren what will be your memories of the Premiership

Will you tell them of VE night against Newcastle, the Jansen / Cole goals that won the Worthington Cup or Bentleys hatrick against Man Utd.

The way Shearer celebrated his goals, how Duff weaved and dribbled around defenders as if they were traffic cones, the way Tugay sprayed the ball around the park or his wonder goals or the fearless blocks and tackles of Hendry.

Greatest saves / goalkeepers

Best striker / goals

Best defenders / tackles blocks

Best midfield generals

Best games / ground atmosphere

Opposition players

This made me want to cry. Regardless of Premier League or not, the damage has been done.

My wife is four months pregnant.

My child will grow up supporting a team that noone has ever heard of here.

I will tell them...

"I used to be proud to support Blackburn Rovers"

'Here comes Shearer, his bearing down on Pallister, there's the inevitable outcome, TWO NIL, SHEEEARRERRR'

:brfc:

Amazing memory there.

I remember my Dad jumping up to celebrate both goals and the dog eating his dinner...twice

For a club our size we have been blessed with some fantastic players. But moments and players who stood out:

Players

Every member of the title winning team, the promotion/cup winning team.

Special mentions for: Brad, Flowers, Hendry, Moran, Berg, Sherwood, Atkins, Ripley, Tugod, Duff, Bentley, Shearer, Sutton, Gally, Jansen, Benni (before fat gate), you may have your own players but they are the ones that stood out for me.

Moments

Warhurst goal against utd in 2-4 loss at ewood

VE night flowers was fantastic

7-0 win vs forrest

Jack lifting the prem trophy

Jansen goal vs preston (promotion)

Worth cup final

All special moments to me

Its sad to think where we were only a couple of years ago

I'll tell them of Matt Jansen and how he had his world cup dream and ultimately his career taken from him, he had the world at his feet after that Liverpool game.

Also how Grabbi had a cult hero status robbed off him by a ref feeling sorry for Barthez.

Also the time Shearer nearly broke the crossbar getting his hattrick against QPR and being modest in an interview after the game saying they sometimes end in the stand.

And how Tim flowers had bottle (but was rubbish on free kicks)

Weirdly one of the stand out memories for me was Le tiss scoring a wonder goal against us, I've never seen so many fans appluad an opposition goal.

We won that game 3-2 Tom if memory serves me correctly. I think Shearer got a hat-trick and Le Tissier two amazing goals. One started around the half-way line and ended with Flowers in the back of his own net scrambling after Le Tiss beat two or three of our players. I said after that game that Le Tissier should start every game for England!

On topic, early PL wins against Arsenal away 1-0 (Gallagher or Newell?), Liverpool at home 4-1, really got us all believing that we were on our way under Kenny. Trouncing Sheff Wednesday and Forest away. Celebrating the league win, watching the tears fall down Jack's face when relegated, Cardiff and the young team supplemented by experience.

Brilliant times and let's face it we have been amazingly lucky to have seen such tremendous players at the Rovers in our lifetimes. Strange how the memeory fades when considering the good times under VenKean.

What a contrast in owners! One who loved the club just as much as any of us ever will and the other that breeds chicken.

My favourite rovers memory was being at Wembley when we beat Leicester, when dreams were realised after so many near misses, this felt much better than winning the league, and will always be the moment I cherish,

The PA guy trying to get the Leicester fans to sing rooster, which was drowned out by SPEEDIE, Was so gutted that summer when we Speedie was replaced by Shearer, Little did I know lol

• Backroom

My favourite rovers memory was being at Wembley when we beat Leicester, when dreams were realised after so many near misses, this felt much better than winning the league, and will always be the moment I cherish,

The PA guy trying to get the Leicester fans to sing rooster, which was drowned out by SPEEDIE, Was so gutted that summer when we Speedie was replaced by Shearer, Little did I know lol

I was in Jersey when I heard about Speedie and I cried

I was only 8 or so at the time but seem to remember him coming out one game in a wig

The play off final is one of my earliest memories I remember service stations full of yellow with people with t shirts on saying loads a loadsa money and big fat jacks Barmy army

The PA guy trying to get the Leicester fans to sing rooster, which was drowned out by SPEEDIE, Was so gutted that summer when Speedie was replaced by Shearer, Little did I know lol

Imagine what this messageboard would have been like when this happened, had it existed back then!!!!

Being at Anfield - May 1995, last few minutes of the match and it's all tied, Liverpool get a free kick on the edge of our box, nerves all around, but I am trying to shout to those with me, "it doesn't matter what the score is here, it's what's happening at Upton Park". Redknapp scores deep depression, but moments later ecstasy as we get the news through on tranny radio that it's a draw and we've won the title.

best memory for me was being at ewood when we won the league, we had a big end of season celebration, the trophy was paraded, feels like such a long time ago now, also some good games, the 7-1 hammering of west ham around 10 yeara ago, the unbeleivable 7-2 thrashing of sheffield wednesday, back in 97 i think it was, worst moment was when we beat leeds 1-0, gillespie scored, coming out of the ground a group of leeds fans started on me and my mates, unprovoked, thats why i hate leeds so much, they threw punches, police did nothing!!!

Three things stand out for me, number 1 the playoff final at wembley against Leicester, glorious sunny day the right result

and a curry in Banbury on the way back to celebrate :rolleyes:

Number 2 the day we won the premiership by united slipping up at west ham :D :D

Number 3 being at ewood the night the trophy was paraded by Jack and the team, I remember saying to my lad that we will

probably never see this again. :(

I was in Jersey when I heard about Speedie and I cried

I was only 8 or so at the time but seem to remember him coming out one game in a wig

The play off final is one of my earliest memories I remember service stations full of yellow with people with t shirts on saying loads a loadsa money and big fat jacks Barmy army

I was also about 8 at the time and remember speedie in the wig, I think it was new years day 1992 at home to Cambridge united.

The Premiership day. Didn’t have a ticket as was supposed to be in France, where I was living and working back then (forever grateful for my French colleagues who covered for me) and only decided that I couldn’t bear to be away from it all at the last minute. Didn’t have Sky TV at my parents’ house but the then landlord of the Brown Cow let me into their lock in. Then at about quarter to three, what happened? Disaster! A visit from the local constabulary who turfed us all out. But then someone saved us – they had the key to a little terraced on Livesey Branch Rd that he was housesitting (owners on hols) and it had Sky! Me and a friend did a lightning fast taxi trip to the nearest offie (I think we may have bought the entire contents of the fridge – there wasn’t really time for selection or quality control) and then I dunno how many bodies were stuffed into that front room but it was a lot! Magic! Were any message boarders in that front room? Then spilling out onto the street, car horns going off all over the place. The Fox and Hounds bus arriving back and my dad picking me up and spinning me round like I was a kid again. Then many pubs being drunk dry. I’ve just got goosebumps again typing this.

Oh and subconsciously and automatically lamping my Man U supporting boyfriend the following season when he turned MOTD over when Shearer was about to score. That one was never going to last now, was it? Perhaps I’ll not tell the grandkids about that.

What a brilliant idea, Alan; I hope this thread can be archived for future generations. I've no kids, therefore no grandchildren. However, if I had, my stand-out memories with which I'd bore them incessantly, would include:

Almost disbelief; [mixed with regret that my Dad, who had blue and white eyes (literally!) and had instilled in his Blackpool-born and -raised son that BRFC (halfway up Division 2 when he first brought me over to Blackburn for games) was superior to Blackpool (with Matthews, Mortensen, Ernie Taylor, etc.) was no longer around to see our team back in the top division of English football] that Tuesday evening when we played the first home Premier League game in 1992, when, alongside our team coming down the tunnel, was Tony Adams leading out Arsenal. I mean; Arsenal, playing a League game at Ewood. [Thank you, Uncle Jack!] And we beat 'em!!

12/9/1993: I used to work in Liverpool in the 1960s and am still in touch with a couple of the lads I used to work with. Meeting them in the pub before the Liverpool game and then again afterwards when Mike Newell had provided our first win at Anfield since God-knows-when. My ability to be totally insufferable about BRFC was taken to new levels after that game!

Fenton's goals against the Geordies. The story I heard from geordie mates afterwards was that Fenton's Dad was watching the game on Sky in the Bar of Whitley Bay golf club and had to "make his excuses and leave"! :D

The Sunday when we won the League. [i love singing "We won the League on Merseyside", whenever I'm with Scouse mates - remind me; have either of their Premier League teams won the League?] I didn't have a ticket for the game; but came over to watch it in The Manxman, where Sky had a camera focussing on us watching the game. The tension got to me and I had to come out of the pub with about 15 minutes to go. Then the post match celebrations; I remember going for a meal in an Italian restaurant [?in the sort-of basement to what I'd remember as the Majestic cinema?] but please don't ask me how I got back to Rochdale that evening.

27/9/1994: Did we really sing "We're proud of you" when the team came into the departure lounge at Malmo airport after the away leg to Trelleborg? I guess so; we were within 5 minutes of winning on away goals when they equalised on the night and knocked us out.Little did we know that our grief was going to be compounded by Dingle-type c-c-comedians [or some other word beginning with "c" ;) ] "twinning" their town with Trelleborg.

1995/96: A small crumb of comfort: being there when Mike Newell set a [still unbroken] record for the fastest Champions' League hat-trick at Ewood vs. Rosenborg.

16/5/1999: The defiance and the chants ["1-0 to the Nationwide"; "The Premier League is upside down"!] demonstrating the total confidence that Jack would get us back to the Premiership in our final game of the relegation season when Jason Wilcox gave us the lead, away to Newcastle.

The Worthington Cup Final. What a day that was!! How sweet was the win; made all the better when stuck on the coach on the M4 between Cardiff and Newport on the way home, listening to the Spurs' fans whingeing. Did we not realise that all they had to do was to turn up? Well, er, no actually!

Can't remember the date in 2002 when we played away to Celtic in the UEFA Cup. Counting my blessings that I had a mate who lived in Glasgow where I could kip overnight, I remember on the train going north, reading the lead story on the front page of the "Evening Telegraph", [as I still call it - you're lucky that, showing my age, I don't call it the "Northern Daily Telegraph!] hinting that the club and the Town Council might be getting their heads together to pay for a "Halt station" between Higher Croft and Ewood where trains on the Manchester-Clitheroe service could stop. [Can't see there being much call for that in the immediate future!] Meeting up with one of the lads with whom I enjoy a pre-match drink who'd managed to wangle a work trip to Glasgow to coincide with the game.

The fabulous atmosphere in the ground but the woe of losing in Europe again. :( How did we lose to Celtic?

The away game versus Feyenoord and the atmosphere in their stadium. Meeting up by chance in the ground with my Godson and his brother. A hectic late-night train journey back to Amsterdam and the, er, "tired and emotional" Rovers fan sitting across from me on the train who was determined to spend his last Euros in the Red Light district before coming home!

Hearing that the club had been sold to wealthy Indians who were going to bankroll us so that we could return to those glory days.

Oops. -_-

That's [more than!] enough from me.

I am the very proud father of two boys. The eldest aged 4 and the youngest a mere 6 months. My eldest lad cheers for Rovers at each and every opportunity. However, he has just cottoned on to which end is which, and he asks me the question i hate to here most "Daddy, that goal wasn't for Rovers was it"? I'm not sure if it he gauges this from the football or my red face, clenched fists and disguised cursing.

Anyway, when the time comes that they ask "why Rovers?" i won't tell them about our past glories in nausiating detail. Those moments are well documented. I shall tell them of a club which rose from the ashes. A proud old establishment which soared with the help of a passionate fan. A club which knocked the very greatest of their perch just for a short while. And even when things weren't so rosy, Rovers were a club capable of p1ssing on the chips of any of the big boys. One with heart and fight. One which boxed well above its weight and took some very notable casualties along the way.

Yes the memories of 95 will and should be long remebered. But the aftermath for me epitomises the nature of the beast. The Andy Todd forearm smash into Van Persie is one which delights me. Garry Flitcroft getting a red card on his debut (Everton?) after 3 minutes (i think) is another. Players who showed heart. Players who fought for the shirt and the town. Both of which the media moguls despised so much. We are Blackburn Rovers and we really shook things up for a while.

I live well outside of Blackburn and i am not as fortunate as most on here to really know what it feels like to live in the town of premiership champions. But my fondest memory of Blackburn is travelling up to watch a game with my father. We travelled up to watch Rovers entertain Southampton. Because money was tight, we went on the Southampton away travel coaches. As we approached Ewood Park we were getting the usual abuse from the Rovers fans outside. At which point i stood up and raised my jumper to reveal the hidden blue and white halves. The abuse turned to applause and i felt like a king for 30 seconds! I can't remember how old i was, but is was early teens. But since then i have made the journey many times and found Rovers fans to be humerous, loyal, and friendly. I have shared a drink with many who have been incredible hosts and top class company.

Rovers is more than a football club. It is a community. One which i cannot fathom fully living so far away. But i have seen enough to appreciate what the club means to the local population. Jack made his dream and the Blackburn peoples dream come true. I feel truly blessed to have experienced that dream. But it is those highs which make these lows feel so low. I hope one day the Venky's are afforeded the insight i was as an 'outsider', and they treat this club with the respect it deserves. Sadly i think the dream is over..................For now!

Archived