BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Premiership Years

• Backroom

Don't forget the time The Axe destroyed half of a mega millions Chelsea team.

I loved Mokoena, wish he was here now.

One of my favourite memories wasn't even a proper game, it was a testimonial a few years back. Shearer wore blue and white and bagged a penalty but the real highlight was watching s certain long haired Turkish bloke in midfield, it was just a joy to see him messing around with a ball at his feet, I think he was substituted and then did his own lap of honour whilst the game went on.

I'll also tell my boy just how close we were to signing Zizou (my all time favourite player)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll also tell my boy just how close we were to signing Zizou (my all time favourite player)

I don't know if i could stomach to pass that on Tom. When i think back, the biggest failing of all was not kicking on from that title. If we had recruited a top class manager and a few top class players, things might have been different. It breaks my heart to recall how we frittered it all away. More than that, it hurts me to think of Ferguson laughing about it.

I think thats why i prefer to remember hired hooligans like Todd! Its less painfull!!

This made me want to cry. Regardless of Premier League or not, the damage has been done.

My wife is four months pregnant.

My child will grow up supporting a team that noone has ever heard of here.

I will tell them...

"I used to be proud to support Blackburn Rovers"

I don't understand why you still wouldn't be?

Just seeing the team win two major trophies in 15/20 years and be a consistent top-flight side is something that I don't think will happen again for a long, long time.

During that time, going to games home and away and knowing that almost every time, Shearer was going to score.

Friedel is his prime making save after save.

Seeing Shearer nod in Le Saux's cross on VE Day, whilst sat amongst Newcastle fans (free ticket from a policeman outside - we were only about 11/12, imagine that happening now!).

Having quality players such as Bellamy, McCarthy, Tugay, Duff and Jansen.

Memories are something that Venky's and their stupid little puppet can do nothing to destroy.

:rover:

• Backroom

I don't know if i could stomach to pass that on Tom. When i think back, the biggest failing of all was not kicking on from that title. If we had recruited a top class manager and a few top class players, things might have been different. It breaks my heart to recall how we frittered it all away. More than that, it hurts me to think of Ferguson laughing about it.

I think thats why i prefer to remember hired hooligans like Todd! Its less painfull!!

You could instead tell them about Matty Holmes and his Lada

• Backroom

Now you're talking!!

Any tales about Jimmy Corbett while we're at it?

Next Ryan Giggs don't you know, we'll have quite a team when him, Oumar Konde and Bobo O'Brian link up with Diego Maradonna junior

Kuqi's 'swandives'. Not unique to rovers I know, but the thought of him jumping 6ft into the air just so he could belly flop a football pitch still leaves me a bit confused. He weighed about as much as I do, how did he not break his ribs?

Having the future captain of Barcelona on our books and thinking he was crap.

Being gutted when we signed some ageing Turkish bloke from Scotland when I wanted the slightly younger Israeli bloke from Scotland.

Being linked with Roberto Baggio and having to make do with waiting 5yrs and then getting Dino.

Seeing Dino Baggio play up front, so we could all pretend we'd really got Roberto after all.

Being really annoyed that markus babbel was playing in number 11. It just looked stupid.

completely forgot about that 7-2 thrashing of sheffield wednesday on a monday night I think??

absolutely awesome game to go and watch. Ripley set up about 5 of them and ran rings around the whole defence, he was top class.

i remember benito carbone scoring an incredible goal for wednesday too from about 35 yards out. top night!

Escaping into the shed last night, as is a mans right to do so, it must be an age thing, reflecting on this topic I felt like Uncle Albert,"During the War"

People say that they remember where or what they were going when special event in history took place such as when Kennedy was shot.

My moment in time was driving down the M5, I had just joined the M5 off the M42 heading south towards Droitwich, when the news broke that Newcastle had signed Shearer. For a moment I thought it was some joke, then the reality broke in and the bottom of my world dropped out. Motorways can be a lonely place when there's just you in the car as I felt the tears in my eyes as I headed towards a site meeting in Bristol. Not made better as through the day work collegues who supported everyone bar Rovers contacted me to find out if I had heard the news. My only consolation being that as least he hadnt joined MU.

Driving home that evening I had time to reflect and partially forgave him, knowing inside that if I had been gifted with the skill and had been given the opportunity to play for Rover in whatever division, like Shearer I would have jumped at the chance of joining the club that I supported.

I suspect that over the coming days, there will be many more memories from the shed, good and bad posted on here :rolleyes:

Tears at Selhurst Park and far from Glad All bloody Over - and the guy who told me it would get better

"You'd think they'd won something" - one steward to another as 30,000 celebrated at Wembley in 87.

Driving on the M62 towards Manchester in the outside lane and swerving to the central reservation as the news of Dalglish coming to Ewood came on the radio.

Derby County home and away in the play-off semis

VE Day, my wife insisting I sit down before I have a heart attack. Shearer rising what seemed ten feet in the air to score.

Queuing all night for Anfield tickets. My wife arriving at 7.00am with a very sleepy eight year old just in case one per person meant the person had to be present. Stupid, I had both STs.

Arriving in the Anfield area and realising we'd parked on Ince Avenue. Had to go back and find a different street to park on.

People around me watching my face instead of the game as I had a radio

Being "consoled" by a Liverpool steward as we quietly cried on the steps down - "You deserve it, mate"

The rubbish T-shirt we paid a tenner for on the way out

My dark blue "Champions" T-shirt. Still fits!!!

My son weeping in the dining room at his grandad's the day Shearer left. We'd just watched the 9.00pm news and he'd refused to believe me all day. The power of the BBC.

The Shearer cardboard cut out on the next November 5th bonfire. Only bought the crap jeans to get the cutout for my lad!!!

Meeting Tom Finn in the Cardiff ticket queue who promised to sort out my ticket problem - and did!!

Cardiff

Presenting my son with his framed Anfield ticket on his 21st birthday. As he was now responsible enough to have it.

Watery eyes posting this

How about adding "and what did you do when Rovers won the league?"

When I got home I had to lay in the bath for an hour to relax. My scouse, Liverpool supporting friend telephoned to see how I was and couldn't believe I was in the bath and not the pub!!

completely forgot about that 7-2 thrashing of sheffield wednesday on a monday night I think??

absolutely awesome game to go and watch. Ripley set up about 5 of them and ran rings around the whole defence, he was top class.

i remember benito carbone scoring an incredible goal for wednesday too from about 35 yards out. top night!

This was one of my favourite ever games, I'm sure we went 5-1 up after about 40 mins or is my mind playing tricks on me? Defo on a monday night, Sheff Weds were playing in orange if memory serves me correct.

• Backroom

I think that 7-2 game was the day we Adopted a chant they sung.

The one with the scarf waving and lots of 'Der Der Der' ending in 'rovers'

The Norwich 7-1 game was a good one, although I felt sorry for Gunn that day after hearing he had lost his daughter, also think we got free football stickers in the family stand that day

also think we got free football stickers in the family stand that day

The day we got free Cadbury's Wispa bars in the BBE and to a man chucked them at the opposition keeper after half-time!!!!

Missing one of three games in the last 30 years - Ipswich at home and 3-0 up in the FMC, finally got Ewood with ten minutes to go.

The day we got free Cadbury's Wispa bars in the BBE and to a man chucked them at the opposition keeper after half-time!!!!

Missing one of three games in the last 30 years - Ipswich at home and 3-0 up in the FMC, finally got Ewood with ten minutes to go.

I think I was at that Ipswich game. Andy (or was it David) Linighan handball right in front of us in the BBE. Stonewall pen. Nil nil draw I think.

I'll tell them about;

Jack Walker.

The comeback against derby in the play-off semi. Speedies incredible season.

The Play-off win against Leicester ("yellows, Yellows")

The 1st prem game against Arsenal.

Roy Wegerle's goal (against newcastle in the FA CUP)

The 2-0 victory over man united. I was so excited about the game. Kick off seemed to take forever to arrive (5pm). Shearer was magnificent as the rain poured down.

Shearer... Fullstop.

Bunking off school to go down to west ham (ian pearce got us into europe)

Coventry away. although we lost the league, rovers following was amazing!

The SAS.

"SIMPLY THE BEST" being played after every win!

Hendry diving on the ball at goodison.

The premiership win.

Jacks tears at anfield. The Sunday before my exams! what a party.

Ray Harford. How Radio Lancashire belittled him! how although, not a great manager, he got us 7th and resigned with dignity.

Roy Hodson. The win at Villa. 7-2 Sheffield Wednesday.

How we led the league. The great games.

Darren Peacock.

Brian Kidd. Turning a premier league team into a nationwide 1.

Ashley Ward.

Rovers leading 3-1 at Southampton and drawing..

Rovers (ward) being denied a clear penalty at the valley (ref gary willard was later struck off for being unfit).

Jacks tears at relegation. And how the fans sung his name and stuck together.

Souness.

Friedel.

Winning at barnsley on a Tuesday night (where the promotion charge started) Beating everyone. Beating Burnley twice (the atmosphere at turf moor and how they trashed there own town!)

Burnley travelling to ewood on council buses!

Beating Bolton at the reebok

Matty's goal against preston and the celebrations!

Grabbi

Cole

Worthington cup win.

Damian Duff.

Finishing 6th.

Mark Hughes.

Robbie Savage

Beating Burnley in the cup at ewood. Tugay's deflected goal and the bedlam.

Semi Final at Cardiff

Semi Final at OT.

The roar when roberts scored.

Bellamy.

Europe.

Benni McCarthy

Santa Cruz

Hughes leaving.

Paul Ince's note pad!

Keith Andrews

Fat Sam.

Staying up.

Beating burnley twice.. again.

Venkys. How I hoped and believed they were honourable! :(

Steve Kean.. All his b*****S.

I'll tell them about;

Jack Walker.

The 2-0 victory over man united. I was so excited about the game. Kick off seemed to take forever to arrive (5pm). Shearer was magnificent as the rain poured down.

Shearer... Fullstop.

The SAS.

The premiership win.

Ray Harford. How Radio Lancashire belittled him! how although, not a great manager, he got us 7th and resigned with dignity.

Darren Peacock.

Ashley Ward.

Rovers (ward) being denied a clear penalty at the valley (ref gary willard was later struck off for being unfit).

Souness.

Friedel.

Winning at barnsley on a Tuesday night (where the promotion charge started) Beating everyone. Beating Burnley twice (the atmosphere at turf moor and how they trashed there own town!)

Grabbi

Cole

Worthington cup win.

Damian Duff.

Finishing 6th.

Mark Hughes.

Robbie Savage

Semi Final at Cardiff

Semi Final at OT.

Bellamy.

Europe.

Benni McCarthy

Santa Cruz

Hughes leaving.

Paul Ince's note pad!

Keith Andrews

Fat Sam.

Staying up.

Brilliantly summed up, bring out the DVD!

Was that David James or is my memory playing tricks on me?

I'll tell them about;

Jack Walker.

Shearer... Fullstop.

The SAS.

The premiership win.

Darren Peacock.

Ashley Ward.

Souness.

Friedel.

Grabbi

Cole

Worthington cup win.

Damian Duff.

Finishing 6th.

Mark Hughes.

Robbie Savage

Semi Final at Cardiff

Semi Final at OT.

Bellamy.

Europe.

Benni McCarthy

Santa Cruz

Hughes leaving.

Paul Ince's note pad!

Keith Andrews

Fat Sam.

Staying up.

Superb summing up!! We had some bloody good days!

My dark blue "Champions" T-shirt. Still fits!!!

Which I have just washed carefully by hand in Lux Flakes and will wear tomorrow in celebration of what we have been, what we still are today in spirit and I hope will be again soon...........................and of course the days when we sold quality T-shirts.

I'm far too old to crawl around in the loft looking for this stuff................................

Archived