BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Premiership Years

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was that David James or is my memory playing tricks on me?

David James of Watford was the goalie.

The chocolate bar was called 'applause' too.

Which I have just washed carefully by hand in Lux Flakes and will wear tomorrow in celebration of what we have been, what we still are today in spirit and I hope will be again soon...........................and of course the days when we sold quality T-shirts.

I'm far too old to crawl around in the loft looking for this stuff................................

Asics shirt in washer as I type.

To be worn with pride tomorrow.

I could name a million things! I'm only 22 so I can't remember the championship winning season, but you would not believe the amount of times my dad has told me about it! I can still sit and listen to him now telling me about being at his mates house and explained that 'IT DID NOT MATTER' that Redknapp had scored!

From my own personal experiences.... Division 1

Winning most every game in Division 1 and watching away games at my uncles- some that stick in the memory! Awful mistake by Danny Coyne to allow us to go 1-0 up against....Grimsby????

Craig Hignett hitting the bar before being beaten by Fulham at Craven Cottage, pretty sure Saha scored.

The Ball tackle on Dunny at Turf Moor resulting in his sending off...Andy Paytons horror challenge on Friedal unpunished and of course Marcus Bents first goal for the club

Hammering the Dingles!

Running the length of the living room to my uncle as the final whistle goes at Deepdale. My dad wouldn't take me but insists it was incredible.

Prem.....

Beckhams free kick that was taken before the ref blew his whistle

7-1 against West Ham- Never forget that game.. I was stopped from going cause i'd misbehaved, stood in the Garden gutted!

Matt Jansen hat trick against Arsenal- quarter final league cup.

Andy Coles first goal away at Sheff Wed

Duffs goal against Southampton, cutting inside and hitting it right footed! What a player.

The Final- Andy Coles instinctive strike, Brads heroics, Hughes marking Anderton out of the game! What a day!!

John Stead!!

Move on a bit......

Pedersen goal vs Fulham- Left footed peach of a volley from Kuqi cross.

Craig Bellamy goal to beat middlesbrough with 10 men/ his goal againt portsmouth at fratton park! The day he left I was absolutely gutted!!!!

Beating Chelsea to secure Europe- beat them 1-0, Savage free kick and him and Reid were arguing whether Reid got his head on it or not!

Man utd 4-3... the announcement of 'Manchester United substitution, Leaving the field is number 9 Louis Saha..He'l be replaced by number 10 Ruud Van Nistelrooy :blink: 4-3 within about 6 minutes!

David Bentley.. I still to this day think he could have been as good as Beckham if he had the same attitude! What a footballer he was!

I could go on and on and on with all of my memories.

Over the years we have had our ups and downs, jubilation and complete heartbreak. I was SO passionate it was incredible! Now I feel very very little as I walk into Ewood. Its devastating. Even if we score tomorrow I will barely celebrate because I feel like its not my club anymore.

The strangest thing is if you were to ask me 'what do you miss most about those days'.. Of course the jubilation when we scored or won a massive game... but also I miss that feeling of being so nervous its untrue when we are 1-0 up against United or Chelsea, tat feeling of the clock hardly moving and wondering when on earth the whistle will blow, or why 6 minutes of added time has been given! I don't feel that any more and its devastating! Now I feel little or no emotion at Ewood.

Being 5 years old and beginning my adventure as a blackburn rovers fan in the summer of 1997. how for the first half of the season we were goal machines with Ripley and Wilcox storming down the wings and sutton slotting one in after another.

My first Rovers game vs Crewe at home, we lost 1-0.

Jack Walker

Matt Jansen, my idol and hero, putting us back into the prem and how he was so so close to the world cup.

League Cup 2002

Mark Hughes years (my favourite period so far as a Blackburn fan)

How i always wanted Micheal Laudrup as manager even before he was linked with the job and Paul Ince getting chosen over him

The Venkys and Kean saga (the dark period)

and last but not least......

How i worked dam hard to get my degree, make my millions and take over Blackburn Rovers!

Bloody jason kearton!!

Probably the most one sided game I've ever seen where we lost. It's still hard to believe we missed all those chances, but with that stump Ashley Ward playing up front anything was possible. Reminds me a bit of England v Poland in the World Cup with Thomosewski in goal all those years ago. One of those games were we wouldn't have scored if we 'd have played all day and all night. Their goal reminds me of how we concede now. Players ball watching, no midfield defensive cover, nobody being decisive - just leaving it to each other, nobody going with the runner, no comunication. It could have been from any game this season.

I started supporting Rovers in the Summer of 1998 so, as you can imagine, it was something of a baptism of fire. It seemed to be an exciting time to be a Rovers fan. I remember reading how Rovers were dark horses for the title after they let an early charge slip away in 97/98.

I remember the early-season 4-3 defeat to Chelsea where my man Sebastien Perez scored before getting sent off for a clash with Le Saux.

I remember watching us play Olympique Lyonnais in the Uefa Cup on MOTD. Probably the first 'live' game I was able to watch.

I remember buying Match every week and losing myself in the transfer rumour mill. We were linked with every player under the sun back then.

I remember the 2-0 defeat to Southampton which literally put us rock bottom and finally marked Hodgson's card.

I remember Brian Kidd replacing him. Admittedly, I didn't know that much about him, but he seemed widely respected in the game and surely SAF's right-hand man could steady the ship. I remember us going on an 8 game unbeaten run when he took over, and I remember being chuffed for Davies finally getting his first goal. Sadly, it was short-lived and it was business as usual.

I remember listening to the 3-3 draw with Southampton where we threw away a two goal lead and Marian Pahars punished us.

I remember wanting Jansen & Davies up front. I thought they would be a great pairing... and in another life they probably would have.

I remember that night where Man. Utd sealed our fate and how it just wasn't meant to be. And of course, SAF playing dumb about our relegation.

I remember having mixed feelings about Souey's appointment whilst feeling that his austere style was needed for a club that had grown complacent.

I remember Souey clearing out the deadwood (Peacock, Dailly, Broomes, Frandsen, Ward etc.) and rebuilding the side (Friedel, Curtis, Berg, Berkovic, Hignett, Bent etc.) to lead our promotion charge.

I remember the Norwich game (after Uncle Jack's death) and hoping we could win it for him (we did).

I remember Souey being linked with half the Bolton team before our promotion season (Claus Jensen, Juusi Jaaskelainen, Eidur Gudjohnsen, Gudni Bergsson).

I remember watching us beat Spurs to lift the 2001 Worthington Cup , and Souey forcing Sparky to join in the limelight. I had never been more prouder.

I remember the legendary Ciccio Grabbi. If only that goal against United hadn't been disallowed...

I remember stonking West Ham 7-1.

I remember losing Duff in the Summer but signing Emerton, Amoruso & Ferguson. I thought we had the makings of a good team.

I remember Amoruso's piledriver in that 4-3 win over Fulham to save our season.

I remember Jon Stead exploding onto the scene and some even hailing him the 'next Shearer'.

I remember that pulsating 4-3 victory over Man. Utd where David Bentley looked world class and Rio Ferdinand looked economy class.

I remember wanting Hughes to give this Pedersen fella a chance but he never would. Then when he finally broke into the team, he was a breath of fresh air.

I remember Tugay's scorching volleys against Fulham & Spurs.

I remember our 'bully boy' tag under Hughes and people like Mourinho trying to smear our image because we didn't roll over for them.

There's SO much more I could post here. This is just a mishmash of memories from the top of my head. Supporting Rovers these past 14 years has been a rollercoaster of emotions and one I would gladly relive all over again. No matter how cynical or weary I've become with the game, I've never been able to turn away from Rovers and they will always be close to my heart. I must admit that my current feelings towards the club are unprecedented. It's mix of apathy and resentment towards the parties that have gambled with our future and jeopardized the foundations made by Uncle Jack and everyone else who worked so hard to ensure our status as one of the most well-run clubs in the game. Hold on to those Premiership memories, everyone, because I don't imagine we'll have any new ones for sometime - if at all.

What a great thread.....so many great memories - too many to mention - I am however surprised that no one has mentioned the demolision of spurs on the final day of the 06/07 (I think) season. The 4-0 win got us into Europe.

Shearer- I remember my dad telling me to watch this man closely and cherish it, because I will never see another like him in a Rovers shirt. How right he was.

Anfield 95- Shearer's goal where he did a strangely long 3 stride step up, running onto the cross from Ripley and stuck it in the corner.

Le-Saux's cross on VE day. That dummy he did before the cross to Shearer- magic. Ruel Fox that night was frightening.

Le Tissier scoring those 2 ridiculous goals in front of the Blackburn End and pointing at Flowers.

Away at Bolton when we equalised with the last kick and Souness ran the length of the touchline. The chorus of w@nky Wanderers after that game was glorious.

I remember an away game at Villa, must have been 93/94. Rovers were supposed to be warming up but Villa had some suited up mascot with a huge head parading round the pitch. Every single one of our squad stepped up to take a ping at him. Does anybody else remember this?

Beating Spurs away in 05/06? Was probably the most perfect away performance I've seen. Duff was unplayable. I felt so proud after that match. I think it was my first London away game and it just felt so good to go down there and completely out play a team from London and escape back North. Oh, and we got into Europe.

Savage scoring at Birmingham was hilarious, before being outplayed and beaten.

Tugay's pass to Cole against Fulham at Loftus Road- majestic.

Scholes giving it away to Mickey Grey on the edge of his own box at OT.

Rio almost crying after his comedy back header and the whole of Ewood slowly singing Riiiiiiiio, Riiiiiiiio. Perfect.

When we used to run out to Thin Lizzy. Christ how I wish we still ran out to Thin Lizzy.

Too many more to think of now without getting deeply depressed.

What a great thread.....so many great memories - too many to mention - I am however surprised that no one has mentioned the demolision of spurs on the final day of the 06/07 (I think) season. The 4-0 win got us into Europe.

Good shout Jordan and welcome back.

That Spurs game was the last game of the season 2003 at WHL - Yorke Hignett Duff and Cole.

Spurs had Poyet sent off

Remember the drummer up in the corner and singing were all going to a disco and chanting in the second half for Matt Jansen, eventually Souness listened and sent Matty on for the last 15min

I remember Scotty carrying me and Jordan up some stairs in Krakow.

Born in 1992 so don't have the fortune to remember the title success. I'll just regurgitate some happy (and sad!) memories!

Feeling ill so missing the 4-3 defeat at home to Chelsea in 98-99. Remember crying when Tore Andre Flo changed the game with a brace.

Remember trying to copy Davies' haircut when he signed.

After a disappointing 2-0 defeat to Southampton, remember hearing the news of Hodgson's dismissal on Radio Lancashire.

Watching the crucial Charlton/Southampton away games on the big screen at Ewood in 99, and crying when we blew a 3-1 lead at The Dell. Remember we had a stone wall penalty denied in one of those games too! Then Ward missing an absolute sitter vs Man United, consigning us to relegation. Remember being told we'd be back, and we were!

THAT Crewe game.

Shearer's celebrations for the 2 goals in an FA Cup tie at Ewood for Newcastle.

Matt Jansen.... my favourite player.

Going mental when we came from behind to win 2-1 at Oakwell on a cold Tuesday night.

Beating Burnley... how I enjoyed the 5-0! Singing 'always look on the bright side of life' to the Dingles was joyous!

Then dancing around my living room when we won promotion, and arriving at school the next day in full Rovers kit.

Rovers 2-2 United. Cheated with a dodgy free kick late on.

Dancing around the living room when we won the cup. Couldn't go due to my Dad having a knee operation, but I loved it. Also remember being part of the 5000 strong Rovers contingent at Hillsbrough.

Tugay. Genius.

Going mental when United did us a favour at Goodison and we hammered Spurs to get into Europe. A job well done!

Checking teletext when on holiday in Abersoch to see we'd won 4-3 at Fulham. Couldn't believe it!

Stead getting the winner v Man United.

Shaking with nerves watching Burnley 0-0 Rovers on the tele. Then jumping on random people when we beat them at Ewood. What a night.

The semi at Old Trafford. What an atmosphere. Also an honourable mention for the 05 semi in Cardiff - we may have been 3-0 down but the flags were still being waved - in both cases we showed the other set of fans up for passion, non stop singing.

Going mental at Boro when Dickov got a last minute goal. Still one of my favourite away games.

The Hughes years were special, European nights and some amazing moments. Pedersen's goals v United stand out - remember nearly blowing my cover by celebrating the goal in the Stretford End. Oops!

The horrid Ince times. At least I still thought we'd come out of the other side.

Nearly crying when Robinho made it 2-2 vs City at Ewood. We were SO close to a much needed win.

Shaking with nerves watching the game online as Rovers hung on to a crucial 2-1 win at Hull. Survival success.

Losing 6-4 at Villa. For a few moments, I and 3000 other elated, vocal Rovers fans thought it was our moment to go to Wembley again. However it wasn't to be.

Beating the Dingles 3-2. What an atmosphere in the game I'd been waiting for for what felt like an eternity. Running up and down the N05 steps hugging random people, before the whole ground bouncing to 'I Gotta Feelin' at the end.

Winning 1-0 at Burnley. The fans outsang Burnley throughout, and I even fell through a chair in celebration. Didn't care! We sure had a party when Burnley went down!

Blackpool away. Givet stripping in celebration, as 2500 fans went absolutely mad. Spent £100 on travel/ticket etc travelling from Cardiff (uni) but worth every penny.

Being shocked when Big Sam left and wondering who the fudge Kean was.

AND MANY MORE!

I'll tell you this, we'll be back. It may take years, and there may be many years of hurt to come. But when we do get back in the big time, I can promise you you'll tell the Grandkids about it!

• Backroom

I hated that Sheaer archer celebration the one time he ever mixed it up and it felt like he rubbed it in.

Speaking of Shearer anyone remember his return from injury? Came on against Newcastle away and bagged instantly, I doubt I'll ever see a striker as good as shearer at his best

I hated that Sheaer archer celebration the one time he ever mixed it up and it felt like he rubbed it in.

Speaking of Shearer anyone remember his return from injury? Came on against Newcastle away and bagged instantly, I doubt I'll ever see a striker as good as shearer at his best

"Here's Shearer, he's back... and he's done it".

My favourite memory of the Premiership years was two days after we won the title me and my mate were wandering around our local town in our Rovers tops, proud as punch at being the top dogs in the league.

We walked around the corner of Woolworths and stopped dead in our tracks when we were met with a sea of red shirts, scarves, flags etc...Man Utd fans everywhere. Met by a fair few sneers and groans we were simply suprised to see these fans and asked a woman what they were all doing. She barely had chance to speak when a great big golden mercedes drove past and parked up about 15 - 20ft away from us. Out pops a chaufeur, opens the rear door and none other than Alex Ferguson pops out waving to his adoring fans.

Acting on impulse and sensing this was going to be a moment that simply couldn't pass us by, me and my mate silenced the fans by singing at the top of our voices "Championes, championes, ole ole ole!" Fergie locked eyes with me with a look of bemusement and anger, to which point I lost myself in the moment, I could only think of the way he had mockingly predicted we would do a Devon Loch and fail to win the league, back then I despised the man and he had been the thorn in the side of my current hero King Kenny. At that point I spontaneously started to point and chant an un-edited version of "Eff off Taggert, Eff off Taggert!" over and over again. This seemed to inspire my mate into chanting, "You're just a fat, red faced barsteward, fat red faced barsteward etc." Now, Mr Ferguson, well known for giving many a prima dona the legendary hairdrier rant simply turned the brightest red with rage that you can imagine, slumped his head and stomped towards a little book shop (where he was apparently doing a book sign) without signing a single autograph for his adoring fans. The reality of what we had done quickly set in when it dawned on me that there was just us two Rovers fans amongst at least 150 United fans, so for a moment I thought we might be in for a bit of a pasting off someone. Luckily when we turned around there was just a sort of unified startled silence and a load of shocked faces - apart from the scruffy mother of a child who was draped in a massive scarf and beanie hat, who said "Well, you've gone and ruined it all for everyone now, haven't you ya couple of little wayne kerrs?" To which we simply answered with a teenage shrug, "Yeah".

I'd like to say that was the end of our little moment of shame/glory but with the adrenaline still pumping, for some reason it seemed the right thing to do to slyly force chewing gum into the locks of Mr Ferguson's glorious motor, unfortunately we made a sharp exit and missed that part of the story.

Looking back, I know it wasn't big or clever but at the time we were just two 16year old lads acting off instinct, lucozade and hormones. The look on Sir Alex's face will stay with me until my dying day as will the memories of the scenes at Anfield.

Remember that Coventry game well, one of if not the best away following ive been a part of. How about that day in May 2012 when against all the odds Rovers scraped to another year of premier league survival after a last day point at Stamford Bridge?!

Shearer signing, his debut, his Rovers career, the league runners up, league cup semi v sheff weds... Gutted. Winning league, getting in champs league, being shocked at the lack of interest and awful gates for the matches.

Why did we not strengthen after winning league?

Selling shearer, trying to sign bierhoff and battistuta!

Sacking Harford and Tony Parkes doing the business to keep us a float

Hodgsons 1st half a season sutton and gallacher, ripley back to form. Beating arsenal 3-1 at highbury. The emergance of Duff beating nob end 6-0 - beating Wigan 4-2 in cup

Kidd going down, coming up. Beating arsenal 2-1 at highbury yorke 2 goals.

Archived