BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Robinson to WBA

chaddyrovers

OK, I am calling a shot here, Majiball is better qualified than I am here, but my observations are these, In Allardyces reign, Robbo looked trim, fit and alert, on top of his game and performing really well, under Kean, he looks heavier and not quite as agile, If you are in top shape physically, you are sharper mentally as well, I feel with the right backroom people, Robbo is a top prem keeper.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I am calling a shot here, Majiball is better qualified than I am here, but my observations are these, In Allardyces reign, Robbo looked trim, fit and alert, on top of his game and performing really well, under Kean, he looks heavier and not quite as agile, If you are in top shape physically, you are sharper mentally as well, I feel with the right backroom people, Robbo is a top prem keeper.

Good point. Commented on Saturday that seems to be carrying quite a bit more timber !!!

second that!

He put in some great performances towards the end of the Allardyce era, though we did have a far more solid defence back then. People go on about the flaws (especially long range shot stopping), but I can think of many games this season where he has pulled off several top class saves to prevent what looked like certain goals. Rovers have lost a few games 2 or 3-0, it could easily have been 6 or 7 at times without Robbo's contribution.

Kean can't put out a balanced side, there is huge pressure on the defense and therefore also the Goalkeeper. Under a proper manager Robbo will prove his worth (if Rovers by some miracle stay up and he stays).

Great at reaction saves from close range and kicking but suspect elsewhere.

That second goal for city was laughable

Not many keepers are perfect in all disciplines of goalkeeping, if Robbo was let’s face it he wouldn't be here.

On the long range shots issue it doesn't help that as a side we have for some years been dreadful at closing down players who have that ability to ping a ball in from range. Look at the Swansea game with Sigurdsson, if the positioning and closing down had been better it might not have gone in.

• Moderation Lead

He's got his strengths, he's got his weaknesses, will be sad to see him go if we go down, but if he does- think Bunn will do a decent enough job tbh.

If we go down Robinson will leave alongside Yak and Hoilett simply because they are premiership quality players and someone will buy them. I imagine with the recent shennanigans Givet will be off too.

A few months ago we might have struggled to keep them but Martin Olsson and Nzonzi have been poor recently so they might end upstaying, at least till January.

I will be interested to see what happens with Formica, Vukcevic and Rochina. I imagine they will want to leave but I can't see anyone paying much for them. Also Dann seems to rate himself despite being largely poor, so might agitate for a move. Again I can't see anyone paying decent money for him.

Looking across the team we are going to struggle to raise much money at all from sales. Hoilett is worth 10m+ but his contract is out. We might be able to get 3-4m each for Yak, Givet and Robinson. That's it really. Squad totally stripped of assets, albeit with some talented youngsters who might be able to kick on in the Championship.

As it stands I think we will have in talent a reasonably strong Championship squad next year, but you do have to worry that the heads will go down, especially with Coco in charge.

If we go down Robinson will leave alongside Yak and Hoilett simply because they are premiership quality players and someone will buy them. I imagine with the recent shennanigans Givet will be off too.

Agreed. Hanley's recent resurgence might alert some clubs as well.

A few months ago we might have struggled to keep them but Martin Olsson and Nzonzi have been poor recently so they might end upstaying, at least till January.

I agree I think both will stay for at least one more season even if we are in the Championship and the club wants to keep them/can afford to keep them. Having Martin's brother here might help in that regard.

I will be interested to see what happens with Formica, Vukcevic and Rochina. I imagine they will want to leave but I can't see anyone paying much for them. Also Dann seems to rate himself despite being largely poor, so might agitate for a move. Again I can't see anyone paying decent money for him.

I can see a side taking a punt on Formica, probably a Spanish or Italian team. Vukcevic and Rochina I can see going if Kean remains in charge, they don't get any playing time and are likely to be pretty unhappy with the situation right now.

Looking across the team we are going to struggle to raise much money at all from sales. Hoilett is worth 10m+ but his contract is out. We might be able to get 3-4m each for Yak, Givet and Robinson. That's it really. Squad totally stripped of assets, albeit with some talented youngsters who might be able to kick on in the Championship.

Remember Venky's saying 'No more big name players would be sold?' Well there is some truth to that in we don't have any left, Jones was the last one we could sell for big money.

As it stands I think we will have in talent a reasonably strong Championship squad next year, but you do have to worry that the heads will go down, especially with Coco in charge.

It's such a competitive league and a difficult one to break out of. Not many sides that are relegated to the Championship bounce back straight away. With our limited finances and poor management of the club I could see us languishing in the lower divisions for some time, perhaps never making it back into the top division. Leeds, Swindon Town, Charlton, Nottingham Forest, both Sheffield clubs, Derby et al are still trying to get back many years after relegation from the top flight.

It's such a competitive league and a difficult one to break out of. Not many sides that are relegated to the Championship bounce back straight away. With our limited finances and poor management of the club I could see us languishing in the lower divisions for some time, perhaps never making it back into the top division. Leeds, Swindon Town, Charlton, Nottingham Forest, both Sheffield clubs, Derby et al are still trying to get back many years after relegation from the top flight.

Yes. I think if we go down we will be down for at least three years. There are just far too many good teams down there who know what they are doing. I mean look how difficult it has been for West Ham who have, imo, done aboslutely everything right in terms of trying to get straight back up. Fantastic squad for the championship, outstanding manager for that level. However it looks like they might have to go to the playoffs. Leeds have invested heavily but are struggling.

The critical next step for Rovers is to stabalise in mid table. We will need to bring in four or five experienced Championship battlers and be entirely focussed on working hard and finding a solid shape - something we have never done consistently under Kean.

Also looking at the squad you do have to wonder how cut out talented but casual players like Olsson, Nzonzi, Formica, Rochina, Petrovic are for the Championship. Goodwillie will prosper imo, while Hanley and Lowe look the sort of committed characters who will succeed. But we have suffered from lacking leadership and guts, and - if anything - that is even more neccessary in the Championship.

I don't agree at all with those who claims Robinson was at his best under Allardyce... Wether he's been playing for Tottenham, England or us (I don't have any clear memories of his days at Leeds), Robbo has always been prone to letting in daisy cutters and been somewhat shaky when dealing with crosses. Although he's a good Premier League standard goalkeeper, those things are a fixed part of his game.

He's done OK, good times had by all in the DE with him.

Needs must in the chumps league 40kpw wages goes a long way, I doubt Bunn is on more then 10kpw, is Robbo 4 times better?, (IMO no) His experience will be missed, though by the end of next season I can see Bunn being a bit of a hero, if he performs as he has when deputising for Robbo.

Talk in the town is is that Robbo is going wether we stay up or go down, purely because of his high wages.

Having watched events unfold over the past 4 seasons , I am quite sure we have never really got over the sale of Brad Friedel , not that I think Robbo is rubbish far from it ..

But , I class Brad as the best and along with Shearer a player we can never replace ...

So Robbo to West Brom ? , I suspect it will happen and good luck to the lad , it is not his fault ,we are going down ...

When Friedel was sold , i was talking to an ex director of Rovers who told me , 'we have lost 8 -10 points , before the season starts'

oh now for those points !!

• Moderation Lead

I'd go so far as to say that Friedel is the best 'keeper ever in the premiership. For the amount of time he's played, and how long is it's been since he's missed a game??

We got adequate cover, he's probably a high earner and he's one of the few players in the squad likely to bring at least something resembling a transfer fee. Letting Robbo go is a no-brainer IMO.

Pretty much what I was going to post. I like Robbo, he's one of the few who seem to care about the club, but we can't be paying him £30k+ in the Championship when we already have Bunn, who's significantly cheaper, younger and not a big difference in quality.

I'd go so far as to say that Friedel is the best 'keeper ever in the premiership. For the amount of time he's played, and how long is it's been since he's missed a game??

I always remember a Villa fan who insisted Brad wasn't a good 'keeper, simply a lucky one because 'the ball would hit him'.

Wonder if he felt that way later on.

Archived