BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Real Ale

Don't be so rude .... anyway get yerself in the Alma for your usual couple of gills I think it's dominoes night. I'm sure you'll not want to miss that. :P

Leffe is one of those. Strong as hell but not a nice taste and neither is the blackcurrent version. Maybe they have to make it taste like bulldog p1ss for safety reasons?

I am too biased. English (UK) real ale for me. Was in Blackburn over easter. Went into the fenhurst to see the changes etc, bite to eat. They had a good Speckled hen and Abbot ale in there.

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recommend anyone who enjoys beer festivals to visit the Great British Beer Festival held at Earls Court. It's big!! Around 800 beers on over the festival. I went to the last one, superb.

I recommend anyone who enjoys beer festivals to visit the Great British Beer Festival held at Earls Court. It's big!! Around 800 beers on over the festival. I went to the last one, superb.

When is it on? I have the Eastbourne one in October.

I am too biased. English (UK) real ale for me. Was in Blackburn over easter. Went into the fenhurst to see the changes etc, bite to eat. They had a good Speckled hen and Abbot ale in there.

Speckled Hen on draught? That's cracking stuff. I must pay a visit.

Depends on your reason for drinking. I drink ale for enjoyment. Getting drunk is an unfortunate side effect.

Quite right, Al. I have always drunk ale for enjoyment of taste, even in my youth. The slight inebriation that goes with it is OK but I hate having too much because I hate hangovers.

Marstons' EPA is a good "session beer". It has a good bitter/ hoppy taste and yet is only 3.6%

If you're going to be drinking for a long time it's best to choose the weaker beers.

You must be a proper barrell of laughs Al. I can just picture you now sat in the snug bar in your local resplendent in hush puppies, beige cardy and making a pint of sour brown liquid last all night. :P

The only side effect that I ever find unfortunate from drinking is having to get up for a pee. ^_^

Gordon, maybe you're one of those people who are lucky enough not to be affected too much by alcohol.

However, if alcohol affects you like it does me, I can picture you crawling around the streets of a town on a Friday or Saturday night with the young men and women that are typical of modern drunken youth.tongue.gif

Gordon, maybe you're one of those people who are lucky enough not to be affected too much by alcohol.

However, if alcohol affects you like it does me, I can picture you crawling around the streets of a town on a Friday or Saturday night with the young men and women that are typical of modern drunken youth.tongue.gif

Hey up Al.... I've found you a dominoes partner. :tu:

Speckled Hen one beer nobody can mess that drink up.

I've only had 1 pint of that in my life and it was vile. Hare and Hounds at Lammack but it was teens of years ago. I suppose it's entirely possible like many outlets over the years that the only link to Old Speckled Hen was the sign on the pump. :unsure:

Beware though all you beer afficionados....

Not wanting to accuse every pub in every street but there have been thousands of gallons of different beers and lagers bought off the back of a free trade van and sold under another name by desperate tenant landlords who are being ripped off by their brewery. There can be up to an extra pound a pint profit I believe. I've even been sold Thwaites bitter in a Thwaites pub that was bought off a white van man. The tenants would get severely dealt with by the brewery's legal team if they were caught but when financial desperation sets in necessity becomes the mother of invention.

On a related subject I think many breweeries have been guilty of more highway robbery than Dick Turpin over the years in their business practice. I've seen couple after couple pouring redundancy money and life savings into pubs over the years. People who have been put into pubs all wide eyed and ignorant by ruthless breweries just cos they have come across a 'few bob'. I'm sure it's a case of caveat emptor but there should be some sort of control over this form of legalised robbery. Best description is a 'slaughter of the innocents' policy.

Just as reprehensible is the punishment for success tactic that breweries employ on tenants who through their own enterprise make a success of a pub. Instead of being happy with increased beer and associated sales the breweries choose to slice off their pound of flesh from the rent as well. It's a policy based on greed that has seen many good tenants off and poor ones (with a bit of redundancy etc ) replace them.

I don't follow the actions of Camra tbh but if they haven't sought to campaign against this practice then they should do.

Personally speaking the only pub I would ever countenance owning would be a free house.

(tin hat on)

At the risk of a backlash, US microbreweries are producing ales the equal of anything in the UK

I have to admit to not being a seasoned real ale drinker so I can’t really judge yet, but on a recent trip to Utah I had some excellent real ale from the local microbrewery, in the past I’ve always found it to be poor, but this was very good indeed.

Brewery website

I tend to go into The Dog Inn in Whalley on Friday nights and they always have a decent selection of beers available, from light to dark and weak to strong.

Haven't been in The Dog in Whalley for years, the only pub I'll only ever go to in Clitheroe is the New Inn, the rest of the town is either dumps or wine bars.

Haven't been in The Dog in Whalley for years, the only pub I'll only ever go to in Clitheroe is the New Inn, the rest of the town is either dumps or wine bars.

The Dog is a decent old fashioned pub, I'll bet it hasn't changed since you last went in! I think its the only pub in Whalley worth going in. The DeLacy is rough, The Whalley Arms always has loud music on and you need a mortgage to get a round of drinks in The Swan (which is usually dead anyway).

The Dog is a decent old fashioned pub, I'll bet it hasn't changed since you last went in! I think its the only pub in Whalley worth going in. The DeLacy is rough, The Whalley Arms always has loud music on and you need a mortgage to get a round of drinks in The Swan (which is usually dead anyway).

Must take issue with your observation that the De Lacy is rough. Its had a lot spent on it in the past few years and has recently had a change of Licencee. It usually has three real ales on. The Whalley Arms is probably considered by most locals to be the least popular and has been closed on several occasions lately. The swan see's itself as an eating establishment, hence the higher prices. I prefer the De Lacy over the Dog

I've only had 1 pint of that in my life and it was vile. Hare and Hounds at Lammack but it was teens of years ago. I suppose it's entirely possible like many outlets over the years that the only link to Old Speckled Hen was the sign on the pump. :unsure:

Beware though all you beer afficionados....

Not wanting to accuse every pub in every street but there have been thousands of gallons of different beers and lagers bought off the back of a free trade van and sold under another name by desperate tenant landlords who are being ripped off by their brewery. There can be up to an extra pound a pint profit I believe. I've even been sold Thwaites bitter in a Thwaites pub that was bought off a white van man. The tenants would get severely dealt with by the brewery's legal team if they were caught but when financial desperation sets in necessity becomes the mother of invention.

On a related subject I think many breweeries have been guilty of more highway robbery than Dick Turpin over the years in their business practice. I've seen couple after couple pouring redundancy money and life savings into pubs over the years. People who have been put into pubs all wide eyed and ignorant by ruthless breweries just cos they have come across a 'few bob'. I'm sure it's a case of caveat emptor but there should be some sort of control over this form of legalised robbery. Best description is a 'slaughter of the innocents' policy.

Just as reprehensible is the punishment for success tactic that breweries employ on tenants who through their own enterprise make a success of a pub. Instead of being happy with increased beer and associated sales the breweries choose to slice off their pound of flesh from the rent as well. It's a policy based on greed that has seen many good tenants off and poor ones (with a bit of redundancy etc ) replace them.

I don't follow the actions of Camra tbh but if they haven't sought to campaign against this practice then they should do.

Personally speaking the only pub I would ever countenance owning would be a free house.

They do. But it is very hard to prove. Sometimes a label is put on a beer, brewry says it is from their own brewry, yet is from elsewhere. Thing is it is very hard to prove, unless they were caught in the act.

I agree about the freehouse part - I would never consider owning a pub that belongs to a chain or huge brewry.

I noticed your comment about speckled hen. Years ago it was a lot stronger on the pump. But now it is about 4.2 - which must effect the taste. But like all things, we all have different tastes.

I try many different ales, some I like others I do not. I am fortunate that in Hastings old town, there are so many old fashioned pubs - freehouses. Each selling different real ales. A person could just go to each, have a half pint of each ale, in each of these pubs. All different in taste and go home knowing you have had a good session.

I get suspicious about a pub with dirty pump handles. Believing if they have taken the time to take care of the top. whats in the bottom should be ok. Because like all beers, it is down to the landlord looking after it, cellar, as well as the pumps etc.

I have to admit to not being a seasoned real ale drinker so I cant really judge yet, but on a recent trip to Utah I had some excellent real ale from the local microbrewery, in the past Ive always found it to be poor, but this was very good indeed.

Brewery website

That is the beauty of real ale drinking. You will always find some you like and others you don't. So you just try to remember those you do. Anyway most landlords will give you a taster. Real ale drinking has become a hobby for me these days. I like to try different ones.

Had a few nice ales yesterday, Hophead being one from Dark Star = lancaster Bomber is not a bad one either, which I think is still thwaites.

I too take objection at the De Lacy being rough. Mostly because I'm usually behind the bar!!

And on that note I can assure you the real ales we have on are well looked after, we often get people who have come down specifically for them.

I too take objection at the De Lacy being rough. Mostly because I'm usually behind the bar!!

And on that note I can assure you the real ales we have on are well looked after, we often get people who have come down specifically for them.

Always thought the De Lacy was the best pub in Whalley but thats going back a few years. Do you still have the gentlemen’s "conveniences" out in the rear yard? :D

Popped in the local tonight for a pint of Wainwrights and ended up drinking this newbie instead .... http://www.thwaites.co.uk/thwaitesbeerco/beer_brands/cask_beers/fine_rain

No doubt a few on here will scoff that it's not proper real traditional sour brown flat liquid or whatever but I found it very pleasant and can highly recommend it. A real summer beer although today is nothing like summer.

Popped in the local tonight for a pint of Wainwrights and ended up drinking this newbie instead .... http://www.thwaites.co.uk/thwaitesbeerco/beer_brands/cask_beers/fine_rain

No doubt a few on here will scoff that it's not proper real traditional sour brown flat liquid or whatever but I found it very pleasant and can highly recommend it. A real summer beer although today is nothing like summer.

Tried it myself over easter in Golden Cup. It is a nice beer. It is a REAL ALE imo. I think some think ales have to be dark. But that is wrong. Different colours, different tastes. Their LANCASTER BOMBER ok as well.

Theno, the method of achieving these zesty flavours is the process of late hopping, this, obviously is where quantities of hops are added very late in the boil so as not to extract the bitterness but just the aroma and flavour. These modern beers use hops grown in much warmer climates than ours, New Zealand and USA being two main areas.

The 'sour brown' use much less hops at the beginning of the boil (accountancy brewing) to produce 'delicate' flavours which are often compromised by the darker malts used to colour and flavour the beer. Both produce excellent beers, but the blond, zesty real beers appear to be more appealing to a growing number of real ale drinkers.

Theno, the method of achieving these zesty flavours is the process of late hopping, this, obviously is where quantities of hops are added very late in the boil so as not to extract the bitterness but just the aroma and flavour. These modern beers use hops grown in much warmer climates than ours, New Zealand and USA being two main areas.

The 'sour brown' use much less hops at the beginning of the boil (accountancy brewing) to produce 'delicate' flavours which are often compromised by the darker malts used to colour and flavour the beer. Both produce excellent beers, but the blond, zesty real beers appear to be more appealing to a growing number of real ale drinkers.

Somebody knows his beer. There is also what I call the gimmicky beers. Such as those with ginger added, OLD TOWN TOM being one from FILO (first in last out) brewry in sussex. Also the BANANA BREAD BEER 5.2% by Charles Wells. Though I have been informed there are better ones on the market than that. Pleasent enough drink to be honest. Designed in my view to try to bring folk onto real ale.

Theno is right though, that FINE RAIN from Thwaites is pretty good. Matters not to me if a beer is dark or light. Happy to try them all.

Thanks for that. My mate likes all that sour brown (and usually flat) brown liquid and reckons anything I like is puff juice. It's prob all down to personal taste. But a word of good advice... don't ever follow a 'traditionalist' drinker into the bathroom the morning after a sesh. ;)

I may be judging it unfairly, but I was in the DeLacy last Saturday night (late on c.11pm) and the clientèle were definitely ROUGH!!

Nice big screen showing the Barca v Real highlights though :D

Real ale was always known as a "pint of old fart" in my youth because of its unfortunate side-effects and none of us drank it but I wouldn't drink anything else now. Favourites are Harvey's of Sussex (now available in the north west) and most of the products from Thwaites. Spent some time in Cardiff last week and Brains beers are OK too.

Archived