BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Real Ale

I'm quite partial to most of FlyDog's bottles and Dogfish Head's 50 Minute IPA, though it seems every "trendy" bar in Leeds has suddenly got a deal with either Brookyln or Sierra Neveda, neither of which I'm that fond of. There are loads of places in Leeds doing Blue Moon, but frankly it's a bit over-fruity for me (once describe as a marriage of cheap lager and a glade air freshener).

Not all lagers are evil, just ones aimed at the UK market. Try Jever or Fruh, two excellent German pilsners that you can find over here in bottles.

I'm quite partial to most of FlyDog's bottles and Dogfish Head's 50 Minute IPA, though it seems every "trendy" bar in Leeds has suddenly got a deal with either Brookyln or Sierra Neveda, neither of which I'm that fond of. There are loads of places in Leeds doing Blue Moon, but frankly it's a bit over-fruity for me (once describe as a marriage of cheap lager and a glade air freshener).

Not all lagers are evil, just ones aimed at the UK market. Try Jever or Fruh, two excellent German pilsners that you can find over here in bottles.

I agree about not all lagers are evil. I came across one yesterday called CURIOUS BREW. tasted more like a pale ale, with a champagne taste as well. Pleasetly nice. Not far off HOPHEAD, which is a lovely pint.

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not been able to find Dogfish Head for several months - shame,

Massively off topic but No Dogfish Head?? It's enough to give you the Doghouse Blues. Speaking of which....enjoy

Proper summer beer drinking music! ;)

Met either rog of the rovers or Clitherover last night. Unsure which - but I can confirm they where enjoying a real ale in the De Lacy Arms, and looked/(probably felt) far better than me, as I was on Stella.

That must have been Rog of the rovers, haven't been to the pubs in Whalley for a good while.

Big fan of:

Wychwood - Hobgoblin

Thwaites - Bomber

Timothy Taylor - Landlord

But the one which got me into it about 3 years ago was:

Moorland - Old Speckled Hen

The Pendle Real Ale Fest by Camra in Colne in February was great.

Not had Timothy Taylor. But the others you mentioned are all good beers.

HOPHEAD is one I like, amongst many others. My 'hobby' is trying as many different ales as I can.

Big fan of:

Wychwood - Hobgoblin

Thwaites - Bomber

Timothy Taylor - Landlord

But the one which got me into it about 3 years ago was:

Moorland - Old Speckled Hen

The Pendle Real Ale Fest by Camra in Colne in February was great.

All of those are excellent but on draught. As soon as you put ale in a bottle or a can you completely change the taste. I bought a bottle of Old Speckled Hen and one of Old Peculier and was really disappointed at the harsh taste. Canned Boddingtons with a widget is just about acceptable though. It would be interesting to see what some other ales would be like if sold that way.

Please don't mention Tetley's dross though. That is the pits.

Me too.... even if they are all the same! :D

For you thenodrog. I try to try different ones LOL.

Came across a lager the other day, that tastes like a beer. Called CURIOUS BREW. It is a lager because of the way it is brewed, but has a beer taste. But they also use champagne yeast. Taste is very simular to Hophead, but far better. Now that I have spoken up for a lager, I am now going to wash my mouth out with a beer - or two.

All of those are excellent but on draught. As soon as you put ale in a bottle or a can you completely change the taste. I bought a bottle of Old Speckled Hen and one of Old Peculier and was really disappointed at the harsh taste. Canned Boddingtons with a widget is just about acceptable though. It would be interesting to see what some other ales would be like if sold that way.

Please don't mention Tetley's dross though. That is the pits.

Tetleys is yuk to me.

Speckled hen always best on the pump - but same as most beers. But to me tolerable. No tine for cans though.

Came across a lager the other day, that tastes like a beer. Called CURIOUS BREW. It is a lager because of the way it is brewed, but has a beer taste.

Hmmmm........ Brewing a lager that appeals to the Flat cap and whippet brigade and gets them to revise their outdated attitudes seems every bit as difficult as getting the AntiSams to admit that he really was the expert and that they, Kean and the Venkeymob could write their combined knowledge of football onto a T Bag in felt tip with one side to spare.

Hmmmm........ Brewing a lager that appeals to the Flat cap and whippet brigade and gets them to revise their outdated attitudes seems every bit as difficult as getting the AntiSams to admit that he really was the expert and that they, Kean and the Venkeymob could write their combined knowledge of football onto a T Bag in felt tip with one side to spare.

Mmmm. This is as opposed to the baseball capped, tattooed, cropped trousered look of "modern" lager drinking youth who like their dress to be as homogeonous as the tasteless fizzy beer that they like to get legless on.

Mmmm. This is as opposed to the baseball capped, tattooed, cropped trousered look of "modern" lager drinking youth who like their dress to be as homogeonous as the tasteless fizzy beer that they like to get legless on.

Hmmm Only in your introverted minds eye Al. The world drinks lager. Try getting about more. ;)

Hmmm Only in your introverted minds eye Al. The world drinks lager. Try getting about more. ;)

I would say that my stereotype is just as valid if not more so than yours Gordon. Discerning drinkers enjoy variations in taste not the sameness of lager which is just as tasteless wherever you drink it. The sheep of the world drink Eurofizz.

I would say that my stereotype is just as valid if not more so than yours Gordon. Discerning drinkers enjoy variations in taste not the sameness of lager which is just as tasteless wherever you drink it. The sheep of the world drink Eurofizz.

I'm sorry Al but you're wrong about all lagers being tasteless. You're just not drinking the right ones.

I'm sorry Al but you're wrong about all lagers being tasteless. You're just not drinking the right ones.

I doubt he will defy his principles to even try any..... or at least not in public. ;)^_^

Reminds me of a mate of mine when we were in our early 20's. We'd all meet in his local on a fri nights 7.30-8.00 before moving on at 9ish to a livelier and younger pub. His Dad was always in enjoying an early evening pint (or several) of Thwaites bitter. Good craic his Dad but definitely of the old school. When he was with his Dad our mate dutifully drank Thwaites bitter too yet as soon as we had moved on to next pub it was 'Slalom D' all the way ( and that really could bite you on the arse!). OK so Lion bitter might not have been as good as Thwaites but this was definitely down to psychology more than taste.

Such a lot of outdated and somewhat skewed macho attitudes at work here. Probably as I rem it's cos lager was introduced into British pubs in the 70's and marketed as beer for ladies.

Maybe I too should look in a mirror at this point. It's entirely possible that my attitude is almost as stubbornly outdated as Al's now when we see the younger market now targetted with ludicrously expensive bottled lager, alcopops and shots.... the first is a rip off based on a fashion statement almost as ludicrous as being seen carrying bottles of designer water around town or to the gym, whilst the last two I rail against as being both irresponsible and dangerous.

The more things change the more they stay the same I suppose.

Could you provide the names of some please. I would love to try a lager that had some taste. I presume they will be bottled beers?

Could you provide the names of some please. I would love to try a lager that had some taste. I presume they will be bottled beers?

First things first don't buy any lagers 1) That are made by English breweries, 2) Brewed in Australia. Whenever I've drunk Aussie lagers for the first time in my life I've felt sorry for the Aussies ! These are all fizzy pop.

The two pubs I frequent mostly sell the following on draught- " Amstell " (crap), " Perroni " ( OK but overpriced ), " Leffe Blonde " ( If you don't enjoy this I'll be amazed ) " Hoegaarden " ( expensive but a good drink ) " Becks Vier " ( OK but a bit weak ). They both have a very large range of Continental bottled lagers. One of them sold the best " Stella " in the whole of the North West but the landlord in his wisdom got rid of it. Me and a pal of mine frequent the Bridge Inn in Ripponden from time to time and they sell a lager called " Flensburger " on draught that's a lovely flavoursome drink yet only 4%.

You're correct in thinking some lagers are fizzy pop in fact most of the commonly sold ones are, but not all of them fit that lable.

On the subject of bottled lager try " Pilsner Urquell ", " Budweiser Budvar " or " Erdinger Weissbrau " they're all top quality.

Just been on hols and I can recommend this

Birra Moretti

Yeah Moretti's a nice drink, they sell big bottles (600 cls?) of that in Weatherspoons quite cheaply.

Just been on hols and I can recommend this

Birra Moretti

Fron Udine Italy originally. Miles off topic here but I went to Udine last autumn with your mate on a business trip whittle. ;) Home of Udinese it's an absolutely delightful little Italian city in superb countryside near the border with Slovenia and sandwiched between the Alps and the Adriatic. If anybody fancies a short break I can well recommend Udine.

I realise this isn't a real ale. But a great lager is Moosehead. Canadian roots. Really refreshing drop. If anyone gets the chance to have a few in London, there is a great pub called The Porterhouse in Covent Garden. It has a massive lager menu, with about 50-60 variaties from around the world. Well worth a visit if you're passing.

I doubt he will defy his principles to even try any..... or at least not in public. ;)^_^

Reminds me of a mate of mine when we were in our early 20's. We'd all meet in his local on a fri nights 7.30-8.00 before moving on at 9ish to a livelier and younger pub. His Dad was always in enjoying an early evening pint (or several) of Thwaites bitter. Good craic his Dad but definitely of the old school. When he was with his Dad our mate dutifully drank Thwaites bitter too yet as soon as we had moved on to next pub it was 'Slalom D' all the way ( and that really could bite you on the arse!). OK so Lion bitter might not have been as good as Thwaites but this was definitely down to psychology more than taste.

Such a lot of outdated and somewhat skewed macho attitudes at work here. Probably as I rem it's cos lager was introduced into British pubs in the 70's and marketed as beer for ladies.

Maybe I too should look in a mirror at this point. It's entirely possible that my attitude is almost as stubbornly outdated as Al's now when we see the younger market now targetted with ludicrously expensive bottled lager, alcopops and shots.... the first is a rip off based on a fashion statement almost as ludicrous as being seen carrying bottles of designer water around town or to the gym, whilst the last two I rail against as being both irresponsible and dangerous.

The more things change the more they stay the same I suppose.

My attitude and tastes are not outdated. There are lots of people in their 30's and 40's who have been through the lager fashion and, since their tastes have matured, have seen the light and become real ale fans. The latest fad for the younger drinkers is cider but most will move on to beer, whether it be lager or ale, at some time in the future.

Your language, as usual, is quite eloquent Gordon, but verbosity does not necessarily make your argument correct. Incidentally Slalom D was probably the most vile stuff I have ever tasted and I do not say that all lagers are not worth tasting. A nice pint of San Miguel on a hot day in Spain is very thirst quenching but, on an average night in the UK, the taste of a good real ale is preferable.

I will and I am a beer drinker. Tried it all last week. It is called CURIOUS BREW.

The way it is brewed, means it is a lagar.

But it tastes like a beer. They use champagne yeast. Search it online. The most unusual, UK brewed lagar I have ever had.

But I will still love drinking HOPHEAD. But this lager has a similar taste. Search is and try it.

I realise this isn't a real ale. But a great lager is Moosehead. Canadian roots. Really refreshing drop. If anyone gets the chance to have a few in London, there is a great pub called The Porterhouse in Covent Garden. It has a massive lager menu, with about 50-60 variaties from around the world. Well worth a visit if you're passing.

[/quote

Another great Canadian bottled lager is "La Fin Du Monde", If you don't enjoy that there's no hope for you.

My attitude and tastes are not outdated. There are lots of people in their 30's and 40's who have been through the lager fashion and, since their tastes have matured, have seen the light and become real ale fans. The latest fad for the younger drinkers is cider but most will move on to beer, whether it be lager or ale, at some time in the future.

Your language, as usual, is quite eloquent Gordon, but verbosity does not necessarily make your argument correct. Incidentally Slalom D was probably the most vile stuff I have ever tasted and I do not say that all lagers are not worth tasting. A nice pint of San Miguel on a hot day in Spain is very thirst quenching but, on an average night in the UK, the taste of a good real ale is preferable.

Been swilling a few pints of 'Fine Rain' tonight and it's lovely. Next up it'll prob be back to lager in't local. Thanks for the compliment but I must say I try to keep an open mind and don't hold entrenched views Al. ;)

Been swilling a few pints of 'Fine Rain' tonight and it's lovely. Next up it'll prob be back to lager in't local. Thanks for the compliment but I must say I try to keep an open mind and don't hold entrenched views Al. ;)

I've had a few pints of Fine Rain in the Bay Horse and it's delicious. Glad to see you're on the way to being converted.

Archived