BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Emigrating advice

• Moderation Lead

Been looking online for advice on the above, but not seeming to find any joy truth be told.

I coached football in the US for a couple of summers a few years back, and thoroughly enjoyed my time over there, and I've been thinking more recently about making a permanent move.

I'm sure there are people from the area originally that have taken the plunge and moved across the pond- how is it you go about doing this?

Do you have to have a specific career/job offer/certain amount of money before you go?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, either in here or via DM.

Thanks.

Been looking online for advice on the above, but not seeming to find any joy truth be told.

I coached football in the US for a couple of summers a few years back, and thoroughly enjoyed my time over there, and I've been thinking more recently about making a permanent move.

I'm sure there are people from the area originally that have taken the plunge and moved across the pond- how is it you go about doing this?

Do you have to have a specific career/job offer/certain amount of money before you go?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, either in here or via DM.

Thanks.

In all honesty you have next to zero chance of a permanent move unless you are married to an American or working for a multinational company that is willing to pay the obscene amount of money it costs for a visa. Even then they only last ten years with no promise of having it renewed. It was difficult enough for me to get out here and I had been married to a New Yorker for three years by that point.

I don't want to crap over your hopes, just wanted to tell you how it is. Even the NYRB striker is having issues... Forced out of NY.

In all honesty you have next to zero chance of a permanent move unless you are married to an American or working for a multinational company that is willing to pay the obscene amount of money it costs for a visa. Even then they only last ten years with no promise of having it renewed. It was difficult enough for me to get out here and I had been married to a New Yorker for three years by that point.

I don't want to crap over your hopes, just wanted to tell you how it is. Even the NYRB striker is having issues... Forced out of NY.

I’ll echo the above, little or no chance these days, looked into it many time myself and the only real option was to buy a business and employ some Americans, all other routes seem blocked.

Plenty go over illegally and work, but you have to get past customs first, which in itself isn’t easy even when going on holiday!

Get a normal job with a company like glaxo smithkline or astra zeneca...sales.

Then apply for a position in the US...these companies love all that...visa paid and everything.....they dont see football as a viable useful commodity....you go in the backway mate.

Is Canada no easier?

And happier

Canada is an immigration society, net influx of 250,000 each year, which virtually everyone here sees as a good idea. There's a points system as we need skills that can create value and pay for my pension, but, as stated above, it's far easier to do it with an employer as I did

Archived