BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tottenham Hotspur vs. Blackburn Rovers

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs. BLACKBURN ROVERS – KICK OFF 4.00pm, 29th APRIL 2012 - BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE

As some of you may have seen, I was pressured into this preview by Bobsterbrfc (amongst others) a long time friend who was keen for me to do a preview based on the fact that my previous previews have all resulted in positive results for Rovers. Back in 2005 there was the home game against Norwich, which we won 3-0, in 2006 there was a home win against Middlebrough 3-2, in 2007 we beat Newcastle 3-0, in 2008 we drew 0-0 with Everton, in 2009 I took the League Cup 3rd round tie at home to Peterborough which we won 5-2, in November 2010 I did the preview for the 2-0 home victory against Villa and finally my last preview, which was almost 12 months ago to the day when we beat Bolton at Ewood 1-0.

P7 W6 D1 L0 F17 A4 Pts gained 16

The pessimists will say I always chose winnable home games and well, they would be right. That said we really need all the luck we can get. If the streak continues through the toughest test it has faced then I may be onto a real winner.

Onto the match, where Rovers find themselves in the need of 3 points, to keep their survival hopes alive, that said I think most would take a point if it were offered now. Tottenham themselves have been in poor form since their defeat at the Emirates, and whilst Rovers seem an ideal team to face they have come unstuck at home to the ‘lesser’ clubs in recent years. I remember Wolves and Wigan both winning at the Lane last season, whilst as recently as the Easter weekend Norwich picked up a 1-2 victory.

Last Saturday’s 2-0 win at home to Norwich left me personally with mixed feelings, obviously I was delighted with the result, the performance of Givet and the magnificent goals from Formica and Hoilett, yet I can’t help but feel it was a little bit too late in the day to save our season. If’s and but’s seem to have dominated the campaign from the N’Zonzi-Hanley defensive partnership on the opening day right up to now.

IF we can beat Tottenham, then the survival march goes on, BUT a loss and other results going against us may well and truly seal our fate.

The Team – Tottenham Hotspur Factfile

Full Name – Tottenham Hotspur Football Club

Nicknames – Spurs and The LillyWhites. Some refer to them as The Yids, or Yid Army but this is generally frowned upon.

Founded – 1882

Ground – White Hart Lane, home since 1899, seating capacity of 36,230

Motto – ‘Audere est Facre’ or ‘To Dare is to Do’

All time team – Jennings, Perryman, Mabbut, King, Knowles, Waddle, Blanchflower, MacKay, Ginola, Hoddle, Greaves.

Honours – two 1st Division League titles, two 2nd Division League titles, eight FA Cups, four League Cups, seven (three shared) Charity/Community Shields, two UEFA Cups, one UEFA Cup Winners Cup.

The History - Memorable games (away from Ewood) vs. Tottenham

28/10/07 Tottenham 1-2 Blackburn Rovers (Rovers’ last victory at the Lane, courtesy of a heavily deflected strike from Benni McCarthy and a 90th minute thunderbolt from Chris Samba)

11/05/03 Tottenham Hotspur 0-4 Blackburn Rovers (A final day demolition job for the Rovers who ended a memorable season in style by finishing 6th and qualifying for the UEFA Cup. The goals came from Yorke, Hignett, Duff and Cole)

24/02/02 Blackburn Rovers 2-1 Tottenham - League Cup Final. (Need I say anymore? One of the finest days in the history of the club, where goals from Matt Jansen and Andy Cole propelled Rovers to a first ever League Cup victory under the roof at the Millennium Stadium)

article-1084880-004C50BE00000258-780_468x317.jpg

16/03/1996 Tottenham Hotspur 2-3 Blackburn Rovers (Alan Shearer, with a magnificent hat-trick to give Rovers yet another victory at the Lane. The hat-trick would be Shearer’s last for Rovers)

12/02/1994 Tottenham Hotspur 0-2 Blackburn Rovers (Goals from Alan Shearer and Kevin Gallacher gave Rovers the victory as their second half title challenge began to gather momentum)

05/05/1993 Tottenham Hotspur 1-2 Blackburn Rovers (The first Premier League meeting between the two at White Hart Lane, A brace from Mike Newell was enough to give Rovers a famous victory)

Rovers’ record vs. Tottenham

Played – 108 – Blackburn 36 wins – Tottenham 49 wins – 23 Draws – Rovers 150 goals – Tottenham 178 goals

Rovers’ Overall Record at White Hart Lane

Played 47 - Blackburn 10 wins – Tottenham 30 wins – 7 Draws – Rovers 60 goals – Tottenham 110 goals

Rovers/Tottenham lineup

1. Paul Robinson

2. Pascal Chimbonda

4. Tim Sherwood (currently a Coach at Tottenham Hotspur)

5. Mike England

6. Ryan Nelsen

7. Noel Brotherston

8. Osvaldo Ardiles

9. Steve Archibald

11. David Bentley

A challenge for you to try and name a LB and CF who played for both Rovers and Spurs.

Interview

Surprisingly I don’t know too many Spurs fans, the one I do know is a good lad though called Dave, who studied with one of my best friends over at the University of Leeds.

1. Good season or bad season?

Average season. Our form over the last few weeks has been very disappointing and turned a potentially V good season (3rd place and potential FA cup final) to an average one. Probably about where we would be expected to be with the squad we have if not a little higher. If we finish 6th I think it can be classed as a bad season.

2. If Tottenham do finish outside of the Champions League spaces, will the season be considered a failure?

Yes. If we would have got into the FA Cup Final or done well in Europa league then finishing outside of the top 4 would have been forgiveable. Considering being 10 points clear of 4th mid Feb, finishing outside of the top 4 would be a failure.

3. Should Harry be the next England manager?

Ive changed my mind in the past few weeks and wouldnt mind too much if England take him! Given the chance I think he would take the job without hesitation.

4. Which of your current players do you HAVE to hang on to for next season?

Bale, Parker, Modric, Walker and Lennon

5. Your player of the season and why?

Scott Parker. Shows real desire and quality. Exactly what we needed in the centre of the pitch to break up play and is a true leader.

6. Spurs are well covered by the media, who is your most over rated player?

It pains me to say it but Gareth Bale. He is one of our best players on his day but the extent to which the media love him is ridiculous. Some games he goes missing and isnt nearly as effective when he drifts inside which is something he has been doing increasingly but I dont think the media pick up on it. Still wouldnt want to lose him though!

7. Who should Rovers fear the most in the Spurs team on Sunday?

Bale and Lennon on the wings. The pace they bring when on form is scary and often our only outlet for attack.

8. What are your thoughts on Steve Kean?

I feel sorry for him. Seems a very average manager but has done ok with the squad he has. Never given a chance after Allardyce went. It must be difficult with the lack of support from the fans for him. If you stay up then he has done a decent job. I would have more of a problem with the owners than the manager if I was a Rover fan!

9. What have you made of the protests at Blackburn this season?

A bit unfair for Kean. Hasn't done terribly with the players he has got. Completely understand the anger at the owners though. Really think they are ruining the club.

10. Prediction for the game?

Despite our recent terrible run, Ill go for 3-1 Spurs

Big thanks to Dave!

The Game

Of course any team news can change, but Rovers are expected to field the same eleven that beat Norwich last weekend. Tottenham are expected to be without long term absentees Huddlestone, Dawson and Gomes, whilst Saha, Adebayor, Kranjcar and Kaboul remain 50/50.

One to Watch

Gareth Bale

The Welsh winger has had a reasonable campaign this year, but was always going to find it difficult replicating his stunning form of last season. That said his Premier League record is probably not as bad as you might think.

Games 32, Goals 9, Assists 8.

To be fair to the Rovers staff, he was kept quiet in the game up at Ewood, but if recent history is anything to go by (think Lennon vs. Gray in 06 and Lennon vs. Olsson in 09) pacy wingers have been the stand out performers in our last few visits to the Lane. Bale v Orr is definitely going to be a key battle ground. If Rovers can keep him quiet, then who knows? Of course if you keep him quiet there’s always the likes of Modric, Defoe, van der Vaart and Lennon. But I’ve always found if Bale plays well, they all play well.

Fantasy Star

Emmanuel Adebayor

The Togolese striker has had a brilliant comeback campaign and rewarded the faith of both Harry Redknapp and those wiley fantasy managers who saw his potential. A return of 13 goals and 12 assists was more than anyone could have hoped for. The problem for Spurs now is trying to keep hold of his services, particularly as they have sold the likes of Crouch, Bent and Pavlyuchenko in recent seasons. Strikers of Adebayor’s calibre aren’t cheap and widely available.

Tickets

Still Available, via www.onerovers.co.uk, via telephone 0871 222 1444 and at the ticket office at the ground.

Adults - £40.00

Seniors (65 and over)- £23.50

Juniors – £21.00

The game is also on Sky Sports 1 after the Chelsea vs. Queen’s Park Rangers match.

Predictions

I’ll leave that up to you, although I would bite anyone’s hand off if they offered me a point right now.

Rovers have only won 2 of the last 16 encounters between the two teams, so we’re certainly overdue a victory!

For inspiration

_50907897_nelsen.jpg

I hope, and I'm sure all the Rovers fans attending on Sunday will give Ryan Nelsen the send off he deserved. Thanks for your efforts at Blackburn Ryan! You are already missed.

We miss you Ryan!

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very good review, unfortunately, I don't expect our result to match.

I am convinced that all teams, or strikers, on a bad run look to see when dear old Rovers will be rolling-up.

So, here we go again.

Expect us get an awful drubbing and lose by at least four goals. The thought of Bale & Lennon driving at our defence has got me reaching for the bottle already and it's only 5 pm !

Could be all over bar the shouting after Sunday should Wigan beat the Geordies and QPR beat a, possibly, dejected and demoralised Chelsea after a Barca mauling.

Going like for like with the players and then handicapping yourself with a manager like Stevie (the Blunderer) Kean then you cant help but fail but to go for a three or four nil scoreline to the home side.

Then again is Harry Redknapp really that good.

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs. BLACKBURN ROVERS – KICK OFF 4.00pm, 29th APRIL 2012 - BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE

As some of you may have seen, I was pressured into this preview by Bobsterbrfc (amongst others) a long time friend who was keen for me to do a preview based on the fact that my previous previews have all resulted in positive results for Rovers.

:tu:

Absolutely no way we will win this.... in fact I would eat my flat cap if we did. Tottenham to return to winning ways 4-1.

Here's hoping you have to eat your cap. ;)

Rovers/Tottenham lineup

1. Paul Robinson

2. Pascal Chimbonda

4. Tim Sherwood (currently a Coach at Tottenham Hotspur)

5. Mike England

6. Ryan Nelsen

7. Noel Brotherston

8. Osvaldo Ardiles

9. Steve Archibald

11. David Bentley

A challenge for you to try and name a LB and CF who played for both Rovers and Spurs.

You could always play Chimbonda @ LB

Keepers:

Brad Friedel

Bobby Mimms

John Joyce

Archie Hughes

Defender:

Bill Almond

Midfielder:

George Crompton

Strikers:

Ronnie Dix

Ted Harper

what is obvious is kean will play the same tactics he has played in every single match since he took over. he must think they work.

Well we did win at Old Trafford and drew at Anfield. Not that it ever get's mentioned :blink:

Imagine if those games had gone with form. We'd be down now

Another classic preview Roger! Here's hoping the record continues; touchwood.

Let's hope Gael rallies the players this week, however I have pretty much accepted we are going to be relegated and a new era will commence for the institution that once was our Rovers.

Just realised our next two matches are both on SKY, so the whole nation can share in our misfortune :o

Lose to Spurs. Mathematically confirmed versus Wigan. Ugly scenes.

Must win game, would play

Robinson

Orr, Gael, Dann, Marcus (LB this is problem position, would prefer Henley, but SK just doesn't play him)

Formica - Peds - Nzonzi - Martin

Hoilet

Yak

Think like QPR we should play deep, and use Martin and Hoilet on the break, and just pray the Yak can keep up. Nzo must come back and prove a point. We need a big performance of Old Trafford proportions, and as Chelsea had last night, a nice chunk of luck

Archived