BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Vultures are circling....Who is Key to our team next season?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'lets pretend we have a good manager'

'lets pretend the owners are putting cash in'.

We haven't and they won't.

I know. Why does he keep making these pointless 'what if' topics?

It was the same with the "Would you renew if Kean was sacked?"

Because Venky's have shown signs of sacking Kean and doing what's the best for the club, haven't they?

I think he just does it so he can sleep at night in his Rovers jammies.

it is amazing how opinions on different players go from one extreme to the other. IMO, jason lowe is not a right back at all but can be a good stand-in at that position should the need arise. his best position by far is that of a holding midfield player where he can use one of his best assets....his passing. he reminds me of a tim sherwood type player, who would take posession of the ball and keep the play moving. the fact that he offers very little going forwards is not a problem for me and why, because he is not a player who runs with the ball and attacks the defenders ala dunny,jnr,mauro. for me along with his defensive duties, all he needs to do is sit in that holding area break up play,take posession and distribute to his team mates which in my opinion, jason lowe is excellent at doing just that.

just an example but: against liverpool down here dunny played infront of our back 4 which to me was rather baffling. when jason lowe got onto the pitch he took up that position and allowed dunny to move further forward into an attacking midfield role. the team looked far more comfortable and threatening.

jason lowe is not a right back,right midfielder or any other position other than that of a holding midfielder and does a fantastic job.

Offering something going forward doesn't have to mean running with the ball or anything like that. I don't agree that his passing is a great asset, it is in fact what worries me. Against Liverpool play just stopped any time he got the ball, keeping it moving was exactly what he didn't do. I thought we were far less threatening. We also had N'Zonzi on the pitch already to fulfill that holding role. Btw it was Dunn he replaced, so Dunny didn't move forward into a more attacking role at all.

Just to clarify I'm not writing him off or anything like that, it's just that at the moment I don't think he's all that great, and should not be a starter for a PL team. Should be a very good player to have in the Championship though.

• Moderation Lead

Relegation looks certain next season regardless of which division we are in.

As much as we are gash, and we will sell at least 5 players IMO- what makes you think we'll go down again? We getting deducted 10 points?

Or do you love being this cheerful always? :lol:

As much as we are gash, and we will sell at least 5 players IMO- what makes you think we'll go down again? We getting deducted 10 points?

Or do you love being this cheerful always? :lol:

If we lose MGP, Robinson, Olsson, Yak and Hoilett I have to agree with Philip, we have a very good chance of going down again IMO and thats without a points deduction.

The likes of Petrovic, M Olsson, Formica, Rochina, Dunn etc are not even championship quality or players that can perform in that league. So we need basically a new team that can perform at that level, we are in serious danger of going down again IMO as venkys wont stump up cash for decent players.

If we lose MGP, Robinson, Olsson, Yak and Hoilett I have to agree with Philip, we have a very good chance of going down again IMO and thats without a points deduction.

The likes of Petrovic, M Olsson, Formica, Rochina, Dunn etc are not even championship quality or players that can perform in that league. So we need basically a new team that can perform at that level, we are in serious danger of going down again IMO as venkys won’t stump up cash for decent players.

Current lot couldn't even beat Cardiff, so god knows what current lot -5/6 of the better players will manage?

Andy Johnson was second behind Henry when Palace went down.

Gutted for Keano I'll bet the poor lamb was hoping he could gain yet another record.

I know. Why does he keep making these pointless 'what if' topics?

It was the same with the "Would you renew if Kean was sacked?"

Because Venky's have shown signs of sacking Kean and doing what's the best for the club, haven't they?

Why what do you want to talk about titman, how we shouldn't renew tickets even though you don't and wouldn't buy one anyway??

Rumours from good sources suggest Kean will get the sack if we get relegated so yeah that's a possible sign... so what u banging on about now?

Maybe I'm cynical, but I just can't believe that at all.

venky's sacking Kean, who would take over? Brunskill?

That's the worry.....and no I'd say it's fair to be cynical.

IF they do fire him then they have to get the appointment right.

Difficult to discuss football matters with such morons in charge. The common theme under Venkys and Kean is to let quality, and experience, leave the club. If replacements come in, on or off the pitch, they are usually average and possess little ability.

Difficult to discuss football matters with such morons in charge.

I think it's a fair rule of thumb that we will keep on falling until the Venkatons leave.

As one former player said to me, "the only time Venky's will get anything right is when they sell up"

Why what do you want to talk about titman

Titman? OOOOO BURN!

...how we shouldn't renew tickets even though you don't and wouldn't buy one anyway??

Your unique brand of topics are obviously the only alternative.

Rumours from good sources suggest Kean will get the sack if we get relegated so yeah that's a possible sign... so what u banging on about now?

What good sources? I remember hearing 'Kean will be sacked' rumours throughout this season and they all came to ****.

Even *IF* Kean was sacked, even *IF, that's no indication whatsoever that Venky's will appoint the right replacement and back him.

That's the worry.....and no I'd say it's fair to be cynical.

IF they do fire him then they have to get the appointment right.

I'd argue that more harm is being done by Kean remaining at the club and things won't start improving until his fat, bald, smug head finally get booted well away from Blackburn.

Titman? OOOOO BURN!

What good sources? I remember hearing 'Kean will be sacked' rumours throughout this season and they all came to ****.

Sorry I got confused with the pics I keep seeing on your avatar.... :P

Kamy - and I trust his info.

I think it's a fair rule of thumb that we will keep on falling until the Venkatons leave.

As one former player said to me, "the only time Venky's will get anything right is when they sell up"

No kidding but you can't help but feel even if they do sell up they won't even get that part right.. remember what happened to Portsmouth when they got sold for a £1 to some dodgy businessman.

Sorry I got confused with the pics I keep seeing on your avatar.... :P

Kamy - and I trust his info.

Until Venkys are out I do not trust anyones sources, Kamy was among many who have had sources tell them Kean was going in the past.. everytime a source gets hold of some info we seem to end up with Venkys doing the opposite.. last time Mrs D apparently overrulled the decision.. who is to say the same won't happen again.

Alot will depend who the owners are and the manager are.

If kean is stay here we are screwed!!!

If Venkys are stay here but have appoint a new manager. then we have chance depending on what squad we have.

If we are down then don't expect Robinson, Martin Olsson, Hoilett, Yakubu, Pedersen, Nzonzi, Formica to be here next season.

Also think Dann won't be here.

we must keep hold of players like Hanley, Lowe, Cotton, Henley next season. going to be rovers future.

IF WE HAVE NEW OWNERS AND MANAGER then we have a good chance of getting promote within 2 seasons. we must a owner who is willing to invest in the squad and appoint a manager who can get us back into the Premiership. I have who I would like to see as rovers manager if this happened.

The summer represents a good opportunity to clear out some deadwood and rationalise our expenditure to an appropriate level for the Championship. BUT as we have seen before to get rid of players with Venkys at the helm just means one less body or a sub-standard replacement, they will never re-invest the entirety of the proceeds from both a transfer fee or wages perspective.

In terms of departures, I think we will see the following regulars leave:

Robinson - a shame but a high earner and we have Bunn and Kean, which should be adequate for the Championship.

Martin Olsson - I think he will demand a transfer - if he could be persuaded to stay then great, but I can't see it happening.

Dann - obviously has delusions of being a top player, hopefully we can hoodwink someone to take him off our hands.

Givet - would love the bearded warrior to stay but rumours persist of a desire to return home, therefore I think he will leave. He is a high earner too. May even end up at West Ham if they get promoted.

Hoillet - we all know he is going, I just hope he leaves for an English club so we get better compensation.

Pedersen - I think one of the bottom half teams/promoted sides (or a foreign side perhaps) may well take a punt on Pedersen after seeing him on MOTD. I am praying so anyway as he is a drain on resources and I don't think I have the energy to continue watching his feeble performances.

Yak - again, I'd love to keep him, but I think he will leave. Plus side is that he is likely to be on good money, and money we probably can't afford in the Championship.

N'zonzi - I wouldn't be sorry to see N'zonzi go to be honest, potential yes, but he drives me crazy as his passing ability isn't as good as it should be, and even though he is a big lad I have never seen him physically dominate a midfield battle (as, say, Jermaine Jones did). He also thinks he is a real player, so would likely demand a transfer.

Rochina - would love him to stay, but he will be on the first plane back to Spain. Its a shame as well as the lad definitely has talent and could become a very good player, he just needs playing time and trust from his manager, which Kean has failed to deliver on both counts.

Formica - nearly left in January and I can't see there being any hope that we keep him (we may not want to either).

As for others, Salgado and Grella out of contract and I imagine Vuckevic and Petrovic will be gone in a heartbeat. I wouldn't lose any sleep over these four either, and would be a substantial reduction to the wage bill.

Unfortunately, and to finally get to the aim of the thread, this leaves us with the following players:

Players who should do a good job in the Championship

GK - Bunn, Kean

Def - Orr, Hanley, Henley

Mid - Dunn, Lowe, Marcus Olsson

For - Goodwillie

Out of these I have reservations about Lowe (as I don't think he can pass - at first I thought it was confidence, now I think it is lack of technique and vision) and Marcus Olsson (doesn't seem to have any ball control).

Unproven squad members

Slew, Blackman, Morris, Linganzi. I have purposefully ignored Ribeiro and Anderson.

Now, I have only included those young players that have played more than, say, a game for the first team. There is obviously talent in our youth team given their successes this season, but I haven't seen many of them play so can't judge. Would any of those players (thinking of Raheem Hanley, Edwards, O'Sullivan, Cotton, Knowles, Fernandez, Payne, Pearson, Ramm, Evans etc etc) be able to make an impact in the Championship?

So, to conclude, we would need some significant investment/astute loan signings to even put out a competitive squad in the Championship. After potential departures there should be money available from both a transfer and wages perspective (even with reduced revenues), but past form would suggest Rovers will never see that investment from the current owners

Along with the Bolton game, and 80 mins in that Man Utd match, all we hear about these days from Kean is about our fantastic young players as if they are the greatest crop ever to grace the earth.

Perhaps that is why relegation is not ringing any alarm bells with the loons from Pune - further vicious cost cutting to take place if we are relegated with our youth players to step up to the mark under the guidance of Kean of course.

Players leaving and approximate fees £m are

Robo 2

Martin O 2

Givet 0

Nzonzi 4

Dann 2

Yakubu 1.5 (get-out figure in contract on relegation)

Hoillet 0.5 to 4

Formica 1

Rochina 1

Salgado 0

Grella 0 (plus treatment table)

Total 14 - 18

This might be enough to settle the remaining bank debt and reduce the wage bill to about £20m - about equal to the parachute payment of £16m plus gate/commercial/TV of £4m.

Trouble is only about 10 players remain (including rookies such as Henley and Slew) and most of them are ######.

Expect Maradonna to be next manager.

Firstly i think it is pretty clear that the club is available for sale. However, i also believe we have a set of owners who are not desperate or in desperate need to, sell the club. If the right offer comes in i think they'll let us go to any Tom, Dick or Harry.

In the mean time the strategy seems to be, clear the debt and get wages under control. This much seems pretty obvious to me without knowing any details of accounts etc. I don't believe relegation will necessarily be seen as a crisis to Venky's. The parachute payments will ensure they have a larger time scale to flog the club. Perhaps the asking price may tumble towards the end of that period, but i'd be surprised if it did so prior to this.

Anyway, i suppose that leads me to a point surrounding the topic title. I believe Venky's were all too aware of the gamble they took this season. They hoped (and it must've been blind hope) that Rovers could stay up this season (and possibly next season too) with a very obviously less talented and less well paid squad than in previous years. Replacing players of Samba's quality with the likes of Orr and Olsson shows the direction the club is heading. When we drop into the Championship next season this process will speed up ten fold. I can see Rovers making signings such as Brian Howard, half decent ball playing midfielder recently released by Reading. These such players will quickly replace the likes of Formica and Rochina.

That all kind of sounds obvious i know. But i think we'll be shocked at the speed of the process. In no way can i see Rovers challenging to come straight back up. I can't even see us making much of a challenge in 2 or 3 season's time. I believe Venky's will be happy to clear the decks and kit us out with players who (again) they hope can sustain our status in the Championship. Poor to average quality players who, most importantly will not drain money from the club. With a vastly reduced wage bill and the scheduled parachute payments, Venky's can sit on the club and hold out for a decent ish price should a foolish buyer appear.

In all honesty i cannot see Robinson, Dann, Hanley, Givet, Martin Olsson, Pedersen, Dunn, N'Zonzi, Formica, Rochina, Simon or Yakubu at Rovers next season. I think we'll bring in maybe half that number in through the door, but i don't expect anything other than solid lower Championship / League 1 fighters. It is very easy to think back to the last time this happened and the side which Souness gained promotion with. But i simply cannot see Rovers bringing in players half as good as Craig Hignett etc..

Archived