BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] First Rovers Game

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plymouth at home in the 90/91 season. 0-0 draw I think, I was only 3 at the time so don't remember it!

I went to Wembley for the playoff final, but again don't remember too much as I was 5.

My first game as a season ticket holder was vs. Norwich in the 93/94 season. We lost 2-3 and Chris Sutton scored for Norwich.

season 1970 got taken to Ewood by my grandad versus charlton and we won 1-0.

Since then was hooked and travelled all over like many other Rovers fans doing pre season friendlies to Europe. I have had some wonderful times and some bad times but this lot have gone way beyond that, they have destroyed my love of football in little more than 18 months. Its gotten so bad that I dont really care about football and Rovers at this time, the predicament we are in doesnt make me feel sad and that is a horrible thought.

I have bled blue and white, I have spent thousands and more, I have often given up on family occasions to watch my team and for what ? This load of ###### have thrown everything back at its own supporters.

KEAN OUT :angry:

January 5th 1991 vs Liverpool in the FA Cup 3rd round.

I'd started to take a real interest in football around 6 months earlier at the World Cup, by the time i was seriously interested i really like Liverpool as most people in my class supported them, so my mum who has always been a Rovers fan took me to the said game, as soon as i sat down in the nuttall street stand i was absolutely hooked on Rovers despite only going in the first place because it was Liverpool!

Simon Garner scored for us before that last minute Mark Atkins own goal, from here i badgered my mum to take me when ever Rovers were at home, we went to a few more home games that season, before going pretty much every weekend home game and a couple of away games the season after, to having a season ticket in 1992-1993 to present day.

Blackburn-Chelsea-16.10.82-L.jpg

26 October 1982

Rovers vs Chelsea (how ironic)

3-0 Rovers Garner(2) & Stonehouse (rare start)

Sat in Riverside with my dad aged 7 (I always thought I was 8 til I've just looked - turned 8 towards the end of that season)

My dad took me cos I'd been pecking his head wanting to go with him, I remember him saying how I I'd better not complain I was cold. A proper meat & tatty pie later (not these Pukka rubbish) and there was no chance of that!

Hooked. That was when it was OUR Rovers!

Kean Out!

Venky's Out!

Early 80s banished to the side away from the blokes on the Blackburn End. Haven't a clue who against. Was mostly interested in hanging off the bars and being a monkey. Preparation for later life, eh? ;)

season 1970 got taken to Ewood by my grandad versus charlton and we won 1-0.

Since then was hooked and travelled all over like many other Rovers fans doing pre season friendlies to Europe. I have had some wonderful times and some bad times but this lot have gone way beyond that, they have destroyed my love of football in little more than 18 months. Its gotten so bad that I dont really care about football and Rovers at this time, the predicament we are in doesnt make me feel sad and that is a horrible thought.

I have bled blue and white, I have spent thousands and more, I have often given up on family occasions to watch my team and for what ? This load of ###### have thrown everything back at its own supporters.

KEAN OUT :angry:

"rovers brothers" - same game i think, but I thought it was 1-1 -- I was on the riverside with my dad. I remember the fans changing ends at half time!

I soon learnt to get to ewood (all the way from Little Harwood) on my own and have been hooked ever since

got my first season ticket 1983/84 season sat on railings at the half way line in the old riverside right opposoite the tunnel i remeber the first couple of games we lost or drew and i was in 2 minds whether to go the next game ....glad i did ....5-1 Vs Derby , a certain striker bagged all 5 , been smitten ever since

cant for the life of me remember who that first game was though

mine was in the old second division, it was the season we went up (i went to the play off final as well) i think the game was against plymouth argyle, shilton was in goal, dont remember too much as i wasnt a 'big' football fan back then, just went with my bro-in-law who had been going to rovers for years, as i was only about 13 at the time i couldnt see past all those people, very frustrating

Can't remember who we played possibly Wrexham around Xmas in 79, used to get taken to Ewood every week by my boss who was a sponsor at the time. G. A. Perkins family butchers - was his Saturday lad & if I cleaned his car (a Capri) he'd take me to Ewood. I still work in the meat industry today!

Apparently my first game was the Wembley Charity Shield 1995, but the first I remember (I'd been to quite a few games before this though) was a 5-3 win vs Leicester at home, where we tried to blow a 5-0 lead. My hero of the time Colin Hendry scored too! :brfc:

First match was in 1983 versus Huddersfield. Drew 2 all. My next door neighbour used to be in charge of the schools half time penalties so went with him. Ended up after the match in the boardroom eating butties. Good times !!! The sad thing is I've now decided I'm never gonna set foot in Ewood again after Monday until Venkys have f****d off.

My dad tells me that I was 2 years old when I went to my 1st game. I have a memory from back in the day, but I doubt it's from my 1st ever game.

I had walked across Bolton Rd from where we lived at the time to the ground with my dad and my brother, wrapped up warm because it was freezing, and we went in through the old turnstiles in the red brick wall at the Blackburn End (Nutall St side) and stood at the top of the steps to watch the game, I was on my dads shoulders and my brother was stood on the red hand rails that were fixed into the terraces. I think we won 2-1 and one of the players had blonde hair... I think!?!?!?!

I do have some memories from the later 80's, things like home debuts for Scott Sellars, David May, Jason Wilcox, Colin Hendry (when he signed the 1st time and then also when he came back from City), David Speedie, Mike Newell... I only remember these because my dad used to make a point of taking me on when we signed new players he was excited about, I must say that for the most part I remember things like this more than actual games I went to, maybe that's a good thing!!!

I don't enjoy going on now and I haven't enjoyed it since Allardyce took charge, to be fair, it's been a downward spiral since Sparky left, so I'm blaming him for everything!!!

I can't wait till the chicken idiots and coco the f**kwit have gone so we can have our club back, no matter what league we are in I'll get another ST and get back on Ewood. COYB

Well, seeing as people are mentioning the first match that they remember, here's a massive challenge for the more 'senior' members of this board. One of my first memories is having a bit of a paddy on my poor mum. We'd been to the Rovers and had left the ground if not 10 maybe even 15 mins before the end to walk to the bus stop at Mill Hill before the away fans made it to the train station. She was probably very wise as the hooligans of the day didn't mind the odd female and small child witnessing their kicking the living daylights out of some poor blighter. Anyway, I very vaguely remember it was 3-3 at the time when we left and then, predictably, about two mins down the road, there was a massive cheer that fairly erupted out of Ewood Park. I'm fairly sure Andy Crawford scored the winner. Queue Violet Elizabeth type tantrum (with a Lancashire accent, of course). Now if any of you know or can find out which match that was, I'll buy you a pint. I thought my first game was in the early 80s but remembering Andy Crawford, it might even have just been into the 70s. Oh dear me, how very ancient do I feel now? I have to stress my memory is very, very hazy, so I must have been quite little!

Archived