BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Local Elections

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UKIP really don't have many other policies except for the EU. Although I personally would much rather we stayed in the EU, what will likely happen is UKIP will end up splitting the Tory vote at the next election, so the in-out referendum promised by Cameron won't even happen.

Jim:

I know many tea partiers. I've spoken at several of their events locally. People make a grievous error when they ascribe to them "low intelligence".

They are, for the most part, energetic, well read and well meaning. They're certainly not stupid. They're also very idealistic, which many "professional" politicians interpret as naivety. End of the day, however, they have all of the attributes of a winning team as they believe in what they are saying.

What I find hysterical is that every time there is a shooting, a bombing or a racist incident, the press and the political class are very quick to try to tie the Tea Party to it, only to wind up with egg on their face. Rather than learn, the next incident they do the exact same thing. The establishment is deluded when it comes to the Tea Party.

The tea party is likely to put a President in the White House within the next decade so for that very reason. People are sick of mealy mouthed, holier than thou politicians who say anything for a vote one day and contradict it the next.

I know nothing about the UKIP but it sounds like a similar dynamic.

UKIP really don't have many other policies except for the EU. Although I personally would much rather we stayed in the EU, what will likely happen is UKIP will end up splitting the Tory vote at the next election, so the in-out referendum promised by Cameron won't even happen.

The promise of a politician.

Now there's an oxymoron for you!

Ukip can be seen as this country's version of the Tea party, appealing to right wing working class voters of low intelligence. Alf Garnett would be a Ukip voter.

My my. Criticising the working class vote now jim! Next step you'll be wanting to deny them any vote and any choice like your heroes in a proper communist regime would.

btw Alf Garnett is a fictional character that something in the region of 75% of the readers of this board won't even have heard of..... a bit like communism! ^_^

I'll have a little bet that UKIP don't win a seat in the next General Election.

And how do you think they'd fare if proportional representation were the system?

Just as an aside I bet the pointless, arty farty, tree hugging, arran sweatered, conscientious objector Liberal types aren't making too much noise about wanting PR anymore. ^_^

Jim:

I know many tea partiers. I've spoken at several of their events locally. People make a grievous error when they ascribe to them "low intelligence".

Not many people would admit to being associated with the ridiculous Tea party so I have to admire you for that. There's a study been done (can't find the web link at present) that links US voting patterns with levels of education and intelligence. It showed that Republicans have now been marginalised to the redneck states where (ahem) the locals are the generally not the sharpest tools in the box, and Ukip's right-wing rhetoric is appealing to similar sorts of people here. I don't like Farage and his "policies" but can only watch and applaud as he sends the Tory party into convulsions at the prospect of their vote being split at the next election.

....... but can only watch and applaud as he sends the Tory party into convulsions at the prospect of their vote being split at the next election.

In that scenario democracy would be the loser wouldn't it Jim?

Something as I've pointed out that I'm sure you would be quite happy with ..... just as long as you were part of the Politburo I presume.

Definitely seems to be a smear campaign going on against UKIP, which must mean they're doing something right.

There's always been a loony right wing fringe, League Of Empire Loyalists, National Front , British Movement, BNP, EDL. Old dogs, new collars. What's happening now is quite a few if these people have migrated to UKIP. If you look into these people's backgrounds it's not a pretty sight. That's not to say that everyone who votes for UKIP is barking at the moon, but a lot of the members are.

In that scenario democracy would be the loser wouldn't it Jim?

Something as I've pointed out that I'm sure you would be quite happy with ..... just as long as you were part of the Politburo I presume.

Why would democracy be a loser in that scenario ? One party that believes in maintaining the status quo would be replaced by another party that believes in maintaining the status quo. Nothing to see there.

• Backroom

And still no mention as to what UKIP's policies actually are :lol:

Ultimately this will just turn out to be a bit of a kick up the arse for the "big two", who will continue to trade power between themselves until their parties themselves end or the country changes into a new power structure.

Not many people would admit to being associated with the ridiculous Tea party so I have to admire you for that. There's a study been done (can't find the web link at present) that links US voting patterns with levels of education and intelligence. It showed that Republicans have now been marginalised to the redneck states where (ahem) the locals are the generally not the sharpest tools in the box, and Ukip's right-wing rhetoric is appealing to similar sorts of people here. I don't like Farage and his "policies" but can only watch and applaud as he sends the Tory party into convulsions at the prospect of their vote being split at the next election.

Jim- This article (from the NY Times no less) has a better take on the Tea Party than your ill-informed opinions derived from who knows where: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/15/us/politics/15poll.html?_r=0

As progressives continue to adopt a smug morally superior view of the Team Party, progressives will continue to lose. They'll beat their chests, decry the low intelligence voters, and the cycle will repeat. Long may it continue.

Jim- This article (from the NY Times no less) has a better take on the Tea Party than your ill-informed opinions derived from who knows where: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/15/us/politics/15poll.html?_r=0

As progressives continue to adopt a smug morally superior view of the Team Party, progressives will continue to lose. They'll beat their chests, decry the low intelligence voters, and the cycle will repeat. Long may it continue.

What cycle? The republicans have lost the last two elections. You do realise that prediction you made of a Republican landslide didn't actually happen?

The whole world is laughing at the Tea Party.

Sydney Rover-

I have no doubt many in the world are laughing at the Tea Party.

I also realize I was wrong about Romney beating Obama.

But that was then and this is now.

Even Nate Silver is predicting a 4-5 seat pick up in the Senate (currently the Senate is 45-55 in favor of Democrats): http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/can-republicans-win-the-senate-in-2014/

However, Silver made his prediction before two Democrats (Tim Johnson and Maz Baucaus) announced their retirement in toss-up states (though he considered the possibility in Johnson's case), and Rockefeller is leaving West Virginia. So the odds for Republicans have marginally improved.

Added to that and Obama has accidentally cut the throat of one of the Democrats biggest support groups, unions. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/04/18/obamacare-may-put-some-unions-out-of-business.html

But I know I've been wrong before, though I confess I'm looking forward to 2014.

• Backroom

For those too lazy to google: http://www.ukip.org/page/ukip-manifesto

U
KIP are the only party that have got out there to chat with voters and listen to them. That in itself is immediately more appealing than any of David 'Nick Clegg's a joke but happy to have him as my deputy' Cameron, Nick 'Student fees lolz' Clegg and Ed 'Wensleydale, Gromit' Milliband.

Archived