BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers' fans approach to Kean

Hi all - I am a Coventry fan, and as you may know we have been through some very similar problems to you this season, which have resulted in relegation. We too have an invisible set of owners, a shrinking squad, dwindling crowds, protests, and an inexperienced manager, but the one difference seems to be that while our fans have focused our fury on our owners (a shady hedge fund called Sisu Capital), Rovers fans have included Steve Kean in your campaign.

I know a lot of football fans have critised you for this, but instead of joining the bandwagon I thought I would find out more. Why were Venky's so determined to appoint Steve Kean and then keep onto him at all costs? It seems to defy the trend of most foreign owners who chop and change managers at the slightest downturn in form. Does have have something over the Venky's to keep his job? Has some kind of secret pact been agreed?

Our own manager Andy Thorn has a worse record than Kean, but fans have embraced him as he is seen as 'one of ours'. I'm interested as to why Blackburn fans haven't taken the same approach with Kean.

Anyway I'd like to say that I look forward to seeing you next season, but unfortunately due to our own predicament, that will only happen if we are lucky enough to draw you in the cup. All the best!

Welcome Covmad,

Contrary to media reports Steve Kean was not the "number 2" who deserved his chance (Neil McDonald was our no 2 under Sam), he was a just coach. Our owners Venky's were being 'advised' on nearly all football matters by Jerome Anderson and his company SEM, meaning Rovers were effectively being run by agents. Steve Kean is a client of SEM, so it soon becomes clear how he got the job and how he's managed to retain it.

The media often paint Kean as a separate entity to Venky's and an equal victim of their mis-management when in fact he is the beneficiary of it and intertwined with them. Why Kean and Mrs D have such a 'special relationship' no one really knows but I suspect it's because he is a "yes" man and they know no other manager would work under their regime. Kean is alkways ultra-defensive of Venky's even when their are legitimate complaints he could make over their ownership.

Hi all - I am a Coventry fan, and as you may know we have been through some very similar problems to you this season, which have resulted in relegation. We too have an invisible set of owners, a shrinking squad, dwindling crowds, protests, and an inexperienced manager, but the one difference seems to be that while our fans have focused our fury on our owners (a shady hedge fund called Sisu Capital), Rovers fans have included Steve Kean in your campaign.

I know a lot of football fans have critised you for this, but instead of joining the bandwagon I thought I would find out more. Why were Venky's so determined to appoint Steve Kean and then keep onto him at all costs? It seems to defy the trend of most foreign owners who chop and change managers at the slightest downturn in form. Does have have something over the Venky's to keep his job? Has some kind of secret pact been agreed?

Our own manager Andy Thorn has a worse record than Kean, but fans have embraced him as he is seen as 'one of ours'. I'm interested as to why Blackburn fans haven't taken the same approach with Kean.

Anyway I'd like to say that I look forward to seeing you next season, but unfortunately due to our own predicament, that will only happen if we are lucky enough to draw you in the cup. All the best!

Covmad the questions your asking is the questions we`ve been asking for the last 18 mnths.

do you have a few hours to spare? thats how long it will take but heres just the tip of the iceberg

1. he drunkdrove and lied about it then tried to blame the fans

2, hes told lies to the press about the fans being behind him

3, hes made promises on behalf of the owners that havent been kept

4. hes shown utter contempt to the supporters by inciting them to get onside with media

5. hes shown no 'integrity' if he had, he would have walked ages ago

6. hes in it with the venkys in some capacity

7. he allegedly got sam the sack so he could take his job,

these are just a few

His agent also 'advised' Venky's both before the takeover and since- including signing his son (0 minutes on pitch).

He is also a base liar who had aided the owners in every way- eg the dismantling of a quality squad.

He has also attempted to turn fan on fan 'i think the positive fans should 'have a word' with the one per cent of negative fans'

He has smeared the fans with talk of 'bodyguards' though he is at pains to say he only ever receives praise by post and 'in the village'.

He has refused to take one bit of blame for our demise.

Wow, seems like a real mess.

I think the best thing that BRFC fans can do is try to publicise all this more widely, as a lot of people in the broader football family just are not aware of this. As it is, they are blaming Rovers fans for being personal, without knowing the reasons behind it.

You may be aware that Kean was a coach at Coventry in the past, god forbid he joins us as our next manager! We would however welcome Eric Black who had a good spell with us before the board made the criminal decision to sack him and replace him with Peter Reid, a decision from which we have never recovered. Our downward spiral, which will see us playing derbies against Walsall and Shrewsbury next season, began on the day Black was kicked out of our club.

Back to Rovers though, I wonder why Venky's are so determined to keep hold of Kean - it seems to border on the pathological, without any logic or reason behind it!

Oh BTW Bryan,

Your footer: Sir! With respect, you can stick the money up your #### that's all I can offer you sir.

Wild Geese 1?

Welcome.

I guess in part Kean has been the focus as he's been the visible embodiment of the Venky's reign almost from the get go. Barely anyone knew about him before and he's certainly not "one of us". His demeanour in general (overly optimistic, deluded, lack of ability, stupid comments, refusal to take responsibility) has wound a lot of fans up. Personally speaking, I've thought including him in the campaign has been counter-productive since the Swansea game whereby he was booed celebrating with Yakubu. Alas, it's difficult to turn a campaign on to a different, invisible target and I'm probably of a minority view anyway.

I think it's undeniable that it's detracted from the issue and earned him some undue sympathy though. Yet if you want to understand why he's hated, look no further back than the last few days. Not playing certain players because of vendetta's in must win games, a real lack of contriteness, apology or taking responsibility for getting the club relegated. The first words out of his mouth on Monday night post-match was "I thought we did a good job". I haven't the heart to watch today's shenanigans but he bears the look of someone who knows he's untouchable and it comes across to the fans in spades.

If you spoke to a fellow Cov fan and said 'Blackburn Rovers ay?'

you would get a response of 'it's the fans fault?'

No, 90-95% of the fans blame our owners Sisu, according to multiple polls amongst other sources.

He just plain old can't manage a football team on top of all his many, many, many failings! His "tactics" are mind blowing, his substitutions are either non existent or at ridiculous times. His eye for a signing is pathetic as is his man management. Oh and he's a complete lying scumbag who's not fit to put out the cones. Disgusting man

he doesn't watch the same matches as us and so talks rubbish about how well we played when we know we didn't. He lies about players being injured when players come out and say they are not or he sells /gives away players who then go on to play for their new club when he has said they aren't fit to play for us. He blames everyone but himself for our demise. He hasn't offered one word of apology for the state we are in. He is unsackable, despite his appalling record. He has constantly tried to gain sympathy in the media by suggesting that fans have sent death threats, that he can't go out in Blackburn (which may be true but then no Rovers manager goes out in Blackburn - he lives in the ribble Valley, which is where the queen would like to retire to if she could, though presumably not if she knew Kean lived there) when that is absolute rubbish. If there had been death threats surely the police would have been involved by now, but no one has ever been caught or charged. Basically he is a rubbish person, who is in a job he is neither qualified to do, nor brave and honest enough to walk away from, and he takes every opportunity to rub our noses is his unsackability. He hates the fans - so the fans hate him.

The difference between Thorn at Coventry and Kean at Rovers is clear. In Thorn you have an honest bloke, who says it as it is to the fans and media, and has even criticised the owners several times for the way they have run the club. He is a football man, who earnt a shot at the top job after keeping the club up last season. His criticism of the owners could well have got him the sack.

With the piece of filth known as Kean you have a complete nonentity who has wormed his way to the top through a combination of lies, deceit, having an influential agent and clueless Indian owners. Even now after he has dragged the club down into the Championship he can't stand up like a man and admit that as manager of a side he has assembled that he bears SOME responsibility for the catastrophe that has unfolded. The nearest he has got to shifting some blame to the owners is citing a loss of experience in the squad, before backtracking and saying that they are 100% right for the club.

This guy is scum of the worst kind, whereas even with relegation on his CV I would respect Thorn for being an honest football man.

Anyway, see you in League One in a couple of years!

Any truth in the rumours that Venky's thought it was impossible to get relegated from the PL?

If so, it may just be that Kean's agent who brought them into the club has got some kind of proof of their ignorance (which they have publicly denied), and Kean is using this to keep himself in a job?

Sorry Cov, think you misread my post, do non Rovers fans think it's Rovers fans fault we've gone down, not kean or venky's?

Sorry I'm with you.

Due to our own well known ownership issues, most of our fans lay the blame with the Venky's rather than Kean - he's ex-Coventry so I guess is partly seen as a man doing an impossible job, partly as a man out of his depth, but not really to blame as such. I guess most people don't know the backstory of the reasons for the personal dislike of Kean by the fans, hence the criticism you guys have been getting. But no sensible Coventry fans I have met have blamed the fans for Blackburn's relegation.

Sorry Cov, think you misread my post, do non Rovers fans think it's Rovers fans fault we've gone down, not kean or venky's?

I spoke to a Tranmere fan in Stuttgart last week and he thought Kean has "done alright" and we were giving him a hard time etc. I asked him if he'd want him in charge of his club or if he'd get another job in football and he said no, however.

Fortunately, I hadn't hit the beer tents by this time.

Most non-Rovers fans don't see it our way and seem to think he's done "alright" given the resources allotted to him. I doubt they'll really start to get it until we're bottom third of the Championship at Christmas and he's still here.

Archived