BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Colin Hendry - An Asset?

369 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want Hendry as assistant manager should Black leave?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know enough to judge

http://m.lockerz.com/s/208603881

Thought there was a thread for Colin but can't seem to find it.

Some thoughts:

Largely discredited as a gambler, drinker, bankrupt and alleged liar, but putting that aside for a moment, is there ANYTHING Big Col could offer Rovers to help on-field matters.

We've had defensive coaches before, but having Nigel Winterburn come in to tell Nelsen and Samba how to suck eggs didn't really work. However, with a much younger and more in experienced defence, could he be an asset? And can you teach someone to be fearless? Might be better with a psychologist?

Given the likely cost cutting at Rovers and the possible low pay level Hendry might be prepared to work for, could he be a replacement for Eric Black? Alternatively, would it be a massive boost to be able to pot Kean and have Hendry as number 2 to Black in the Chsmpionship. (Yeah, keep dreaming, Stuart).

It could be a way for Hendry to get back some focus, some perspective, and get his life back on track. Some people just need a chance for redemption?

This thread could very easily turn into another symptomatic statement about sycophantic Keanites but let's just see how many posts we can get to just looking purely from an objective, footballing point of view.

Pleeeeeease! I think we all need a little oasis of calm away from the doom.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://m.lockerz.com/s/208603881

Thought there was a thread for Colin but can't seem to find it.

Some thoughts:

Largely discredited as a gambler, drinker, bankrupt and alleged liar, but putting that aside for a moment, is there ANYTHING Big Col could offer Rovers to help on-field matters.

Fit in well then Stuart with the current regime, lets bring another liar into the club....

But putting those issues aside, his comments over the past few weeks alone have been awful, if anyone should have come out in support of the fans it should have been Hendry, ex-captain, loved by the fans, but no he backed Kean to protect his own interests in my opinion :(

A man who would destroy the respect of the fans in order to desperately get a job. No thanks.

We could do without another p*ssed up Scot scumbag in the ranks, one is enough.

I also fail to see what he could offer on the pitch, maybe he could teach the lads how to get their arses out? A firm fans favourite for sure but it won't win you football matches.

Spoke to him in Lytham about 4 months ago, he an Billy McKinley are mates with Kean. He has enough going on in his life without joining the sham that is Blackburn Rovers.

IMO, Hendry's 'brand image' is now very badly tarnished from both a footballing and personal point of view.

His support for Kean is also sickening.

IMO, Hendry's only concern is himself.

I would not like to see him anywhere near our football club again.

We owe Hendry nothing.

Accept his very difficult situation with his wife, however, I know people who have had to go through similar tragedies and handled it superbly, showing real character. Hendry's circumstances are not unique.

IMO, since the change in ownership, we have lost all the 'right type of people' and are replacing them with all the 'wrong type of people'. A recipe for the disaster we are witnessing.

He has had a go at coaching and management at lower levels and it has not worked out. Despite the circumstances in which he left us the second time a lot people still see him as a heroic figure at the club. I would not the good times he had here be sullied by connection to the current regime.

It really saddens me when Rovers fans have a go at Hendry. He typified the spirit of our greatest team in living memory. He gave 100% every game and was !00% Rovers.

Poor bloke has had a terrible time in recent years and events in his personal life may have affected his judgement. He will always be up there with my other Rovers heroes.

Having said all that, I would not have him back at Rovers. I think he would be coming back to Rovers for all the wrong reasons. Sad really. :(

It really saddens me when Rovers fans have a go at Hendry. He typified the spirit of our greatest team in living memory. He gave 100% every game and was !00% Rovers.

Poor bloke has had a terrible time in recent years and events in his personal life may have affected his judgement. He will always be up there with my other Rovers heroes.

Having said all that, I would not have him back at Rovers. I think he would be coming back to Rovers for all the wrong reasons. Sad really. :(

I'm sorry but he left us twice, the second time leaving us at a really awkward time for the club. Nobody who is 100% Rovers would behave like that. He gave 100% on the pitch fair enough, should we be grateful for that ? Just because the present team is full of wasters ? That's what he was paid to do. I don't want him back at the club.

• Backroom

There's nothing from Hendry's past to suggest he's a good coach or manager. He's also got a questionable character and has gone some way to ruining his legacy here by backing Kean and having a pop at the fans.

He sounds perfect for Venky's, mind.

I'm sorry but he left us twice, the second time leaving us at a really awkward time for the club. Nobody who is 100% Rovers would behave like that. He gave 100% on the pitch fair enough, should we be grateful for that ? Just because the present team is full of wasters ? That's what he was paid to do. I don't want him back at the club.

I agree with you, just to clarify that my comments were related to his initial period with us. I was looking through my 'over worn' nostalgia glasses!

More a PR move than a sensible one. Problem is imo it's misguided PR. If Agnew is the insigator of that then his judgement is flawed. Hendry is damaged goods these days, 'Braveheart' was a great servant and a defensive rock in his pomp BUT he baled out of the club to go to Rangers just months after signing a new contract, he's a failed manager and by the sound of it a pretty despicable character.

Archived